Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
Seems since iOS 12 that my voice memos now delete after 30 days. Would have been nice to have received some non-vague heads-up that the default would change to "delete automatically after 30 days." I'm sure this notice was given somewhere, but it was only when I wanted to listen to some old recordings that I discovered this unfortunate change.
Some recordings were worthless, such as sounds of rain (I live in SoCal where rain is usually very uncommon), recordings of epic farts, & other things I can always record again.
...but other recordings were priceless and cannot be recorded ever again, such as my first child's earliest words and the unique way she spoke them, and my Husky howling - which he only ever did when NO ONE was present to hear it.

I'm posting in hopes that maybe someone has found this out too and has found a fix. Numerous searches of the forums and Lougle have not helped to recover these recordings. If you know of a way, please share.

This is also a rant. Apple'll never hear of it from me and surely between tc and investors, would not care - but this is yet another corner I've turned in which I've discovered that my apple device, which should replace so many individual items, is becoming increasingly unreliable. I won't drone on about this and that and I'm not saying they're a total loss; Apple Maps is #winning. Making all my movies 4K (where available) is great. Apple Music, not perfect, but is still pretty good. Just needed a place to vent (and hope someone can help) and I'm sure some of you will care and share in this sentiment, most will let me have it (I know, first-world problems) - but as a long time Apple products user and "loyalist," I've got to say, it's getting a little bumpy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems since iOS 12 that my voice memos now delete after 30 days. Would have been nice to have received some non-vague heads-up that the default would change to "delete automatically after 30 days." I'm sure this notice was given somewhere, but it was only when I wanted to listen to some old recordings that I discovered this unfortunate change.
What setting is that? Pretty sure that voice memos should be around indefinitely until you delete them.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Right - I use voice memos heavily and still have recordings from a tour guide in Iceland from 3-4 years ago as well as some other long-term recordings.

However, I do notice if you do a full synch to your computer it pulls the recordings off of your phone and saves them into your itunes library on your computer if you are still backing up your phone to your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.