Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Hey everyone, quick question. So I am trying to get my wife to upgrade her XS (She isnt like me and needs to upgrade every year lol) and her one hesitation is she has a few voice mails from a dear friend of hers who passed away last year that she refuses to give up, which I totally get. Is there a way to ensure if she upgrades that all the voice mails come over? iCloud does not back that up as far as I know?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the messages are that important, record them from a 2nd iPhone while playing back on the 1st. A bit of quality will be lost but then it will be saved as an audio file.
You could use an app like iTalk (pro) to record and save the recording.

iTalk Recorder by Griffin Technology

Reactions: C7 POWER

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
If the messages are that important, record them from a 2nd iPhone while playing back on the 1st. A bit of quality will be lost but then it will be saved as an audio file.
You could use an app like iTalk (pro) to record and save the recording.

iTalk Recorder by Griffin Technology
Possibly an idea, but there has to be a way to transfer Voice Mails from one iPhone to another when people upgrade.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I could be wrong here — but I'm relatively certain voicemails are stored with your service provider vs. on the phone itself. I'd think they would show up on the new phone provided you transfer service vs. setting up a new line.

Again though, could be totally wrong. I've never paid much attention to my voicemail when upgrading.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I believe the voicemails are stored on the provider's servers. Can test that by dialing into VM from a different phone and see if you can play them back. If so, should be able to retrieve them again on the new phone.

Can create voice memos from the vms: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205012

Tools like iMazing save voicemail. In the case of iMazing, their trial version only downloads 1 vm, so would need the full pay version to get all of the vm.

Can't recall if the transfer process from old to new phone at initial setup moves them.

Or if backup to computer contains the vms: that can be tested by backing up the old device, setup new from that backup. If Ok, can wipe the old phone, otherwise, try the save to memos.

Basically, a bunch of things to try BEFORE you wipe the old phone.

EDIT: looks like backup via Mac gets the voicemails, as I can see that in iMazing from latest Finder backup. Assuming iTunes on PC will do same.

Last edited:
Reactions: C7 POWER and DJLC

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Hey everyone, quick question. So I am trying to get my wife to upgrade her XS (She isnt like me and needs to upgrade every year lol) and her one hesitation is she has a few voice mails from a dear friend of hers who passed away last year that she refuses to give up, which I totally get. Is there a way to ensure if she upgrades that all the voice mails come over? iCloud does not back that up as far as I know?
If they are visual voicemails they can just be saved by tapping the message, pressing the share button and selecting save to files.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I believe the voicemails are stored on the provider's servers. Can test that by dialing into VM from a different phone and see if you can play them back. If so, should be able to retrieve them again on the new phone.

Can create voice memos from the vms: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205012

Tools like iMazing save voicemail. In the case of iMazing, their trial version only downloads 1 vm, so would need the full pay version to get all of the vm.

Can't recall if the transfer process from old to new phone at initial setup moves them.

Or if backup to computer contains the vms: that can be tested by backing up the old device, setup new from that backup. If Ok, can wipe the old phone, otherwise, try the save to memos.

Basically, a bunch of things to try BEFORE you wipe the old phone.

EDIT: looks like backup via Mac gets the voicemails, as I can see that in iMazing from latest Finder backup. Assuming iTunes on PC will do same.
Thank you for all the info!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.