Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I am on the PB and I switched out my phone (from att to verizon) and now the voicemail transcription is no longer working. It used to work with my old phone.. but now it is totally gone. I tried a network reset. and restoring the phone and nothing works. I contacted Apple, but they cannot do anything helpful because I am on a PB. Has anyone lost voicemail transcription or know what to do to restore it?

Thanks!

Tallfish0919

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
I am on the PB and I switched out my phone (from att to verizon) and now the voicemail transcription is no longer working. It used to work with my old phone.. but now it is totally gone. I tried a network reset. and restoring the phone and nothing works. I contacted Apple, but they cannot do anything helpful because I am on a PB. Has anyone lost voicemail transcription or know what to do to restore it?

Thanks!

I have the same issue, I have tried everything ... they seem have disappeared. I even restored back to 10.2.1 and they won't show up....

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Waiting on a respond from the engineers... they pulled data from my phone last night.
Please keep me posted. I could not restore back to 10.2.1 so I have to wait until the final version of 10.3 comes out before I contact Apple Support again. Thanks!

gamecockguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
South Carolina
I am having the SAME issue. Verizon spent 20 minutes on the phone with me after voicemail transcription stopped working. I had a replacement from Apple, prior to that it worked like a charm. I called apple. They said call Verizon. I called Verizon. After 30 minutes of troubleshooting, resetting network settings, rebooting, changing voicemail settings on their end, they sent me a CLNR phone. I received the CLNR yesterday, restored, still not voicemail transcription. It is frustrating that you pay for an expensive phone and the features don't work. It must be a Verizon issue.
PS I have also tried changing the Siri settings that I read about elsewhere. Nothing works.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I am having the SAME issue. Verizon spent 20 minutes on the phone with me after voicemail transcription stopped working. I had a replacement from Apple, prior to that it worked like a charm. I called apple. They said call Verizon. I called Verizon. After 30 minutes of troubleshooting, resetting network settings, rebooting, changing voicemail settings on their end, they sent me a CLNR phone. I received the CLNR yesterday, restored, still not voicemail transcription. It is frustrating that you pay for an expensive phone and the features don't work. It must be a Verizon issue.
PS I have also tried changing the Siri settings that I read about elsewhere. Nothing works.

I had the same issue with both ATT and T-mobile - it is not a Verizon exclusive issue!

joeyalex

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2007
Same issue here, Verizon iPhone 7 and 7 plus, ported over from AT&T over the weekend and no voicemail transcription on either phone now.

Worked fine before. So now I'm not sure if it is a porting issue, new phone issue, Verizon issue or Apple issue.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Voicemail transcription hasn't worked for me since at least Feb 11, 2017 on an existing phone. No voicemails I've received on AT&T on my 7 Plus have any transcription. They all show "transcription not available". This is on 10.2.1. I did erase my phone and restored from backup on the 11th, but I've done that in the past (November) and transcription still worked.

The last voicemail I know transcribed was on Dec 27, 2016. I don't know if it was working between then and Feb 11 though as I don't have any voicemails for that period.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Voicemail transcription hasn't worked for me since at least Feb 11, 2017 on an existing phone. No voicemails I've received on AT&T on my 7 Plus have any transcription. They all show "transcription not available". This is on 10.2.1. I did erase my phone and restored from backup on the 11th, but I've done that in the past (November) and transcription still worked.

The last voicemail I know transcribed was on Dec 27, 2016. I don't know if it was working between then and Feb 11 though as I don't have any voicemails for that period.
At least you are getting "transcritption not available. I don't even get any evidence that it could transcribe voicemails.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
If I recall correctly the Transcription feature was a beta. So it may or may not work.

It is a beta, but that just meant it might not be accurate, not that it wouldn't work. When it was working, it said "transcription beta" plus the transcribed voicemail. Now it says "transcription not available".

I don't know if erasing and restoring my phone broke it or something else did, either way it used to work and now it doesn't.

I contacted Apple support and they had no solution. They just took my info and sent it along to engineering.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Anyone had a change in this issue? I haven't. Just curious. Thanks!
I have not had a change. I was hoping when I got the new PB yesterday, it would fix the problem, but alas it didnt. I do realize that this a beta, but voicemail transcription worked fine up until I switched out my phone. Now there is not even an option.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I got a call back from Apple which basically said it's a known problem and they are working on it.

Reactions: xoAnna

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I wish I had the option of disabling it, it benefits me in no way and delays my voicemails.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
So I got a call from Apple support telling me that Apple is implementing a server side fix tomorrow and that any voicemails received tomorrow (March 22) or later should transcribe.

We will see.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
So I got a call from Apple support telling me that Apple is implementing a server side fix tomorrow and that any voicemails received tomorrow (March 22) or later should transcribe.

We will see.
fingers crossed.. was that for all users or just ou?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile about a month ago and upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a new iPhone 7 Plus and it's never transcribed voicemail. No options to select it or anything.

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009

We will see.

So the first time I tried today it didn't work. I then restarted my iPhone 7 Plus (AT&T) and left three voicemails and all three transcribed so it's working now for me.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
So the first time I tried today it didn't work. I then restarted my iPhone 7 Plus (AT&T) and left three voicemails and all three transcribed so it's working now for me.

What iOS are you on? I tried it this morning and it is still not working for me.

ckisgen

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Mine isn't working either. Ever since I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile a couple of weeks ago. Traded in my iPhone 7 from Sprint for a T-Mobile iPhone 7, restored data, and haven't had a single voicemail transcription since. I've tried all the usual supposed fixes (reset network settings, hard reboot, turn Siri off/on, etc).

Just rebooted again this morning hoping this supposed Apple server side fix from yesterday/today would make it start working but I just got a voicemail a few minutes ago and still nada.

I read on other forums that it appears to especially affect people who switch iPhones (port from another carrier and switch devices, or upgrade from a 6s to 7, etc). Though it doesn't seem to be isolated only to this group either.

Yawn. Hopefully they get it straight soon. I'm definitely missing this feature.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
What iOS are you on? I tried it this morning and it is still not working for me.

I'm on iOS 10.2.1. For me the problem started after I erased my phone and restored a backup. This morning was the first time I've had transcription work in over 6 weeks.

Did you turn you left phone off and on before testing? It didn't work for me until I did that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.