Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
So I just got a used iPod shuffle 4th gen and everything works, except I can't enable VoiceOver for it. I check the option to enable VoiceOver and press Apply, and it asks me to download and install the VoiceOver update. I agree and it appears to download, but then gives me the error, "iTunes was unable to install the VoiceOver Kit. An unknown error occurred (1701)." I have a MacBook Air running the current iTunes and the iPod's software is up to date as well.

After searching around the internet for a while for a fix, I've been unsuccessful, and came here. Any ideas? Anyone have the VoiceOver Kit for Mac I could try?

Thanks in advance!

norneDK

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
So I just got a used iPod shuffle 4th gen and everything works, except I can't enable VoiceOver for it. I check the option to enable VoiceOver and press Apply, and it asks me to download and install the VoiceOver update. I agree and it appears to download, but then gives me the error, "iTunes was unable to install the VoiceOver Kit. An unknown error occurred (1701)." I have a MacBook Air running the current iTunes and the iPod's software is up to date as well.

After searching around the internet for a while for a fix, I've been unsuccessful, and came here. Any ideas? Anyone have the VoiceOver Kit for Mac I could try?

Thanks in advance!

I'm getting the same error on my 2010 MacBook Pro running Mavericks, iTunes etc. up to date:-(

Last edited:

cooper82

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
I'm getting the same error on my 2010 MacBook Pro running Mavericks, iTunes etc. up to date:-(

Same setup, bought new shuffle today and get the same error. Can't find an answer anywhere. Let me know if you have any success. Many thanks.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
Count me in! VoiceOver is borked on my shuffle after installing Mavericks. The update will not install - I get the same error.

Will follow this thread for solutions!

Slix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
VoiceOver will not activate on the shuffle though, so the update is necessary to enable VoiceOver for it. Without it checked all it will do is tell you the playlists on the iPod. VoiceOver will allow you to hear the name of the song, artist, etc.

Rivvvers

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
so everyones having this issue. at least its not just me... sigh
i wonder how long this one will take them to fix.

Rivvvers

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
I manage to get my voice over working by booting up an old installation of snow leopard. I used the same version of iTunes as mavericks uses and it worked straight away. So this must be a mavericks issue

wweber

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
I manage to get my voice over working by booting up an old installation of snow leopard. I used the same version of iTunes as mavericks uses and it worked straight away. So this must be a mavericks issue

Same here: managed to successfully install VoiceKit 1.4.1 on a Shuffle 4G using Mountain Lion with iTunes 10.6.3 - had to wipe a spare 10.9 MacBook and re-install ML, but it was totally worth it :)

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Same issue here, tried via windows partition- no problems, However after enabling voicekit via windows and then connecting via mac iTunes it gives some glitches and voiceover kit disables by its own. Report to Apple, doing everyday

gcbarrie

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
I was getting the -244 error in Ventura. Narrowed it down to VoiceOver and after a lot (and I mean A LOT) of searching, I found a post where someone tracked the error down to "voice not available." I figured out that the default voice for my iPod Shuffle 3rd gen. is Alex, and noticed that VoiceOver in Ventura does not automatically include Alex.

Long story short, open VoiceOver Utility, select Speech, select Voice dropdown, and then select Manage Voices. Download Alex and you should be able to use VoiceOver on your Shuffle.

asterix3k

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2023
I was getting the -244 error in Ventura. Narrowed it down to VoiceOver and after a lot (and I mean A LOT) of searching, I found a post where someone tracked the error down to "voice not available." I figured out that the default voice for my iPod Shuffle 3rd gen. is Alex, and noticed that VoiceOver in Ventura does not automatically include Alex.

Long story short, open VoiceOver Utility, select Speech, select Voice dropdown, and then select Manage Voices. Download Alex and you should be able to use VoiceOver on your Shuffle.
that's the answer in 2023! Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.