Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
If it's free to use a VOIP app to call landline phones that would be awesome. If it's free to call mobile phones I will **** in my pants!

Blizzard of Oz

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Did iCall give any indication of when they are preparing to launch?
I assumed it would be ready with the launch of the App Store, but apparently not.

Do you think VoiP is something Apple wants to keep out of the App Store?

blehpunk

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
there was a voip program this morning, but for the life of me i can't find it again. i don't remember the name, and i shoulda downloaded it. I just remember it said calls were 6c/3p

iMeat

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Did iCall give any indication of when they are preparing to launch?
I assumed it would be ready with the launch of the App Store, but apparently not.

Do you think VoiP is something Apple wants to keep out of the App Store?

Jobs said VoiP is allowed so I dont see why they would keep it out of the store. I wonder how much the Voip apps will cost.

kmay37

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
On the Icall website it says that VOIP is allowed by Apple...just not over edge network and I would assume 3g...which means only through Wifi. Which is fine with me, it will be very convienient when I am at home or at school.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Found this yesterday...It's more about iCall. :p

I read this review by the NY Times...
and ran across a few 3rd party apps that were mentioned.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/te...=1&oref=slogin

Got a little more curious and youtubed it.
Essentially...you can transfer incoming calls onto the wifi connection. (So, they become free minutes) woot!
*note-this is available for the original iphones with the free upgrade (also in the review)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoq5w3mkMU

Hope that helps. Although...I also want to note that it doesn't say when the app will launch, just that it will...eventually. :(

yocko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Truphone

a truly great voip application, i used it on my nokia a lot, was in the app store this morning, but one couldn't acces it, one couldn't press the get button, or it said, it may have moved or something, and two hours later it had dissappeared. I hope it comes back quickly, it has always been a very reliable and good service. Not the cheapest, but very reliable.

yocko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
a truly great voip application, i used it on my nokia a lot, was in the app store this morning, but one couldn't acces it, one couldn't press the get button, or it said, it may have moved or something, and two hours later it had dissappeared. I hope it comes back quickly, it has always been a very reliable and good service. Not the cheapest, but very reliable.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've got truphone but it's totally broken... it comes up with a signup screen with lots of dummy values in and if you change any of them it crashes. Leave them alone and you get 'the page cannot be loaded', then it crashes.

I think they put it on there before it was ready.

yocko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
I've got truphone but it's totally broken... it comes up with a signup screen with lots of dummy values in and if you change any of them it crashes. Leave them alone and you get 'the page cannot be loaded', then it crashes.

I think they put it on there before it was ready.

lol

they claimed they had it ready 6 months ago.... i remember it well their press conference....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.