Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
My sister has a two year old PowerBook G4 12". She's had this problem where the aluminum bends out of the case. It's been going on for about a year. It's now so bad, that if she wants to charge it, she needs to push and hold the charger in.

This is clearly not good, and I've heard of several other 12" models experience the same problem. Is there anything we can do about it, or are we going to have to ship her a MacBook?

Thanks!

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
My sister has a two year old PowerBook G4 12". She's had this problem where the aluminum bends out of the case.

In my experience, the PB only bends or dents when I've dropped it, which, thankfully, has only been twice, and hasn't affected its performance.

Tell your sister to take better care of it.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Call up Applecare and ask them about it? Ask them what your options are. If it's still under warranty they probably would cover the cost.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Yeah, I actually went to the Apple Store, and since it isn't under AppleCare warranty anymore, it would cost over $1000. Ouch.

Looks like we're buying a MacBook.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
My friend had this problem with a 15" PB. We opened up the case and reshaped the area around the charger port with needle-nose plyers.

Not exactly elegant, but it got the job done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.