Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
So I started using my HomePod with my Apple TV, and it worked perfectly and as I expected. That is, the Apple TV remote volume controls controlled the HomePod Audio level. The indicator on the screen showed a picture of the HomePod in the volume slider (just like an iPhone shows AirPods in it's volume slider). Later on, I listened to some music on my HomePod.

Now I went to watch another movie, I wanted to change the volume as I did before, except now it only controls the audio of the TV (the actual TV, not the HomePod). I have the TV audio tune off, so thats essentially a non factor in this equation. Also, before the controls on the top of the HomePod also worked for quick volume adjustments. Maddeningly, now what happens is when I touch the volume controls on the top of the home pod, the movie audio cuts out and the last song I had playing starts.

This kind of thing absolutely drives me crazy, because it should just work.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I guess you need to tell the Apple TV to output to the HomePod every time? Especially since in the above scenario you played music afterwards too.

Reactions: anthony13

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
I guess you need to tell the Apple TV to output to the HomePod every time? Especially since in the above scenario you played music afterwards too.
Except none of that gets music out of the cue, basically music is now always the default, even right after setting Apple TV to HomePod. As soon as you touch the HomePod it stops the movie and plays music. Hoping 14.2 fixes this absurdity

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
You'll have to wait for tvOS 14.2 to get the feature to set HomePods as the default audio out on an Apple TV. And then it is only supported on the Apple TV 4K models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.