Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
This has only been happening since I got my iPhone 11 Pro and it’s driving me insane.

For example... if I’m typing something, my keyboard clicks are regular loudness, a normal volume. If I then pause for 5-7 seconds, then resume typing, the clicks are very noticeably quieter. Then they slowly resume normal loudness, and remain so until I pause for another 5 seconds.

It’s not limited to keyboard though. I first noticed it in a puzzle game I play, which makes sounds as you fill in squares. If I pause for 5 seconds, those sounds do the same thing —become very quiet and slowly resume full volume.

Wtf is this? It’s incredibly annoying. It reminds me of the reason I returned my iPhone XS (animation lag/stutter after 10 seconds of inactivity, there’s a whole thread about it).

I can’t find any way to disable this annoying “feature” and it’s irritating me constantly.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Really? I’m the only one who noticed?

It’s annoying the crap out of me.

mark7uk

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
I've only noticed this when typing (iPhone 11 non-pro) - the clicking would get quiet for a few seconds then get louder, at first I thought it was my hand covering a speaker.

Reactions: DDustiNN

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Try turning off the Attention Aware Features toggle in settings>>>Face ID. My wife had a similar issue and that fixed it.

This has only been happening since I got my iPhone 11 Pro and it’s driving me insane.

For example... if I’m typing something, my keyboard clicks are regular loudness, a normal volume. If I then pause for 5-7 seconds, then resume typing, the clicks are very noticeably quieter. Then they slowly resume normal loudness, and remain so until I pause for another 5 seconds.

It’s not limited to keyboard though. I first noticed it in a puzzle game I play, which makes sounds as you fill in squares. If I pause for 5 seconds, those sounds do the same thing —become very quiet and slowly resume full volume.

Wtf is this? It’s incredibly annoying. It reminds me of the reason I returned my iPhone XS (animation lag/stutter after 10 seconds of inactivity, there’s a whole thread about it).

I can’t find any way to disable this annoying “feature” and it’s irritating me constantly.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Try turning off the Attention Aware Features toggle in settings>>>Face ID. My wife had a similar issue and that fixed it.
That wouldn’t make sense, since I’m still staring at the phone... Also don’t want to turn that feature off. My iPhone X never did this weird volume fluctuation. Only started when I switched to the 11 Pro.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
That wouldn’t make sense, since I’m still staring at the phone... Also don’t want to turn that feature off. My iPhone X never did this weird volume fluctuation. Only started when I switched to the 11 Pro.
I understand what you’re saying. All I’m saying is try it and see if that solves your problem. Like I said I’m my original post, my wife had a similar problem and that did solve the issue. I didn’t expect it to work either but it did.

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
Well this is interesting. I’ve noticed this behaviour in one game that I play ( hungry cat picross ) and I’ve just tried pausing while writing this reply and have the keyboard issue too! How very odd.

Disabled attention-aware setting but the keyboard issue is still present. Will try restarting the phone when I’m not so busy and see if it works then.

Reactions: DDustiNN

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Well this is interesting. I’ve noticed this behaviour in one game that I play ( hungry cat picross ) and I’ve just tried pausing while writing this reply and have the keyboard issue too! How very odd.

Disabled attention-aware setting but the keyboard issue is still present. Will try restarting the phone when I’m not so busy and see if it works then.
Okay so different issue than what my wife was experiencing I guess. At least now we could look for a different fix for the keyboard issue. Interesting bug, if that’s what it is.

Reactions: Bexx

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011

Interestingly enough, I also noticed it during a picross game, lol. Nonogram. Still no luck figuring this out. I really think it’s some sort of “power saver” they added, just like with the XS and its animation stuttering.
[automerge]1570022283[/automerge]
Okay so different issue than what my wife was experiencing I guess. At least now we could look for a different fix for the keyboard issue. Interesting bug, if that’s what it is.
It’s not a keyboard issue, it’s a sound issue. As two of us mentioned, it affects sounds in games as well.

Reactions: Bexx

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
I’ve rebooted the phone and the issue persists, so unfortunately disabling attention-aware doesn’t resolve it for me.

It could be some kind of “feature” that Apple have built-in to iOS 13, though not sure of the benefit. I’m still on 13.1, will try 13.1.2 this evening but I doubt it will have changed.

Now I’m aware of it, I can’t unhear it lol.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Yes and no. So far I’ve only seen that games where the keyboard is used are affected so if that is the case then it is also a keyboard issue😉
It’s not a keyboard issue, it’s a sound issue. As two of us mentioned, it affects sounds in games as well.

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
Yes and no. So far I’ve only seen that games where the keyboard is used are affected so if that is the case then it is also a keyboard issue😉

The game I’ve noticed it happening in doesn’t use the keyboard at all. However, the sounds do correlate with touching the screen. So it possibly is related to input behaviour.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Well, this is getting interesting. My new 11 Pro Max 256 GB had no sound what so ever from any speaker right from the first boot. And Volume/Ringer animations popped randomly on the screen, sometimes increasing/decreasing without any input from me. I have returned it and ordered a new one.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
No... the game I noticed it in has no keyboard input whatsoever (Nonogram). It is a sound issue. Not a keyboard issue.

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
Hi all, just wanted to let you know that I submitted feedback to Apple regarding this issue as it still hasn’t been resolved as of 13.2.3. I doubt they will act on one report, so if you haven’t done so, please fill in the feedback form here and let them know:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Interestingly, my husband is using my old iPhone X (also running 13.2.3) and does not have the issue. So it looks like it may be specific to the iPhone 11 models. :/

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I have this issue on iPhone 12 Pro. Did anyone of you find solution for this or should I just take my phone to the Service when I have time... small but annoying problem/bug.

schasey

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Same thing happening with the new 12 Mini I got last Friday. That’s why I’m noticing it with my keyboard strokes and in connection with a solitaire game. VERY annoying...

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I didn’t try for factory reset – it’s a brand new phone, less than a week old
Same here and I installed my phone as a new. This thing is so annoying! I guess I just take my phone to the Service... This bugs me so much!

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I have this issue on iPhone 12 Pro. Did anyone of you find solution for this or should I just take my phone to the Service when I have time... small but annoying problem/bug.

Same thing happening with the new 12 Mini I got last Friday. That’s why I’m noticing it with my keyboard strokes and in connection with a solitaire game. VERY annoying...

Same here and I installed my phone as a new. This thing is so annoying! I guess I just take my phone to the Service... This bugs me so much!
I don't have anything new to add but I'm curious, are you all noticing this while using headphones? Or sound coming out of the iPhone speakers?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Nope. With speakers for example all is good with keyboard sound.
I’m guessing that’s a yes to headphones. Did you by any chance check your settings in Settings>>Sounds and Haptics>>Headphone safety? Unfortunately that’s the only recommendation I have but give it a shot.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I’m guessing that’s a yes to headphones. Did you by any chance check your settings in Settings>>Sounds and Haptics>>Headphone safety? Unfortunately that’s the only recommendation I have but give it a shot.
Yes, with headphones too keyboard sound volume is steady like it should be. Fluctuation happens only with iPhone’s own speakers.

That setting seems to be off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.