Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who is your favorite carrier?

• Total voters

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It is for EDGE, but Cingular charges the same for HSDPA/UTMS as for EDGE-only phones. And when T-Mobile rolls out their UTMS, it should stay the same price. (And since the iPhone is only EDGE, it doesn't really matter, now does it?)

It does matter. Why pay more for less?

If someone offered you ISDN 128KB speed for the same price as someone offered cable modem or DSL speeds, would you take ISDN?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Verizon cripples their phones with their ugly "VCast" Software. Cingular is my favorite. (Even though I'm stuck to Verizon)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It does matter. Why pay more for less?

If someone offered you ISDN 128KB speed for the same price as someone offered cable modem or DSL speeds, would you take ISDN?

That was part of my point. The iPhone only does EDGE. So Cingular's $60 a month to be equivalent to T-Mobile's $30 a month is ridiculous. (I did double check, Cingular's "Smart Phone Tethered Device" is "only" $59.99 a month. It's Crackberries that add up to $80 a month tethered.)

So, no. Since the iPhone can only do EDGE, I have no desire at all to pay an additional $30 a month over what I now pay T-Mobile, in addition to the $500 for the iPhone itself. That would make the iPhone cost $620 more over the next 2 years than buying a new Nokia N95 at $600, and staying on T-Mobile. At this point, I'd have saved the extra cost of the Nokia before the iPhone even comes out.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
My Cingular ain't broke so I don't "fix" it. Been working well for me for years.

Here's something [I hope hasn't been previously posted] that is a fact:

Every carrier sucks!

There's always gonna be dropped calls but more often than not it's because your mobile phone is crap!

Even though Motorola has been around the longest I have a deep, seething hatred towards them. One I bought a kick a** phone I haven't lost a call yet.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few, but regardless they all suck.

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I have Verizon, and I originally hated it for locking down BREW so much, but lately they've been winning points with me. The call button on my Chocolate was funky, so I took it to the verizon store, and without having insurance or anything, they transfered my info and just gave me a new Chocolate. Also, EVDO completely rocks EDGE, and VCAST is pretty handy.

That said, UK providers dominate US providers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That was part of my point. The iPhone only does EDGE. So Cingular's $60 a month to be equivalent to T-Mobile's $30 a month is ridiculous. (I did double check, Cingular's "Smart Phone Tethered Device" is "only" $59.99 a month. It's Crackberries that add up to $80 a month tethered.)

So, no. Since the iPhone can only do EDGE, I have no desire at all to pay an additional $30 a month over what I now pay T-Mobile, in addition to the $500 for the iPhone itself. That would make the iPhone cost $620 more over the next 2 years than buying a new Nokia N95 at $600, and staying on T-Mobile. At this point, I'd have saved the extra cost of the Nokia before the iPhone even comes out.

It's not all about the iPhone, especially in this thread.

All the carriers are killing us with high prices for data access, along with voice service. Sprint does a good job with 3g service but I don't see it worth $60 per month or $40 per month for a limit of 40 MB. Even the Phone as Modem plans are high but they're still building and upgrading their 3g network.

I don't see any way out of this until more cities implement WiFi for free.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It's not all about the iPhone, especially in this thread.

All the carriers are killing us with high prices for data access, along with voice service. Sprint does a good job with 3g service but I don't see it worth $60 per month or $40 per month for a limit of 40 MB. Even the Phone as Modem plans are high but they're still building and upgrading their 3g network.

I don't see any way out of this until more cities implement WiFi for free.

Yup. I'm happy that my city (Portland, Oregon,) is having citywide WiFi put in (already covers all of the downtown region, plus a bit on the nearby residential neighborhoods,) but it's disappointing that the iPhone won't do VOIP. T-Mobile is already test-marketing a combo VOIP/cell service in Seattle, and Portland looks like an excellent choice for the next market to roll it out in.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
My Cingular ain't broke so I don't "fix" it. Been working well for me for years.

Here's something [I hope hasn't been previously posted] that is a fact:

Every carrier sucks!

There's always gonna be dropped calls but more often than not it's because your mobile phone is crap!

Even though Motorola has been around the longest I have a deep, seething hatred towards them. One I bought a kick a** phone I haven't lost a call yet.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few, but regardless they all suck.
This is exactly what I was going to post. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.