Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
So, long story short, does anyone here still have that freeware app? That version was the latest one compatible with Leopard (and PPC). Version 0.2.7.1 got captured by archive.org, which was the latest one for Tiger, so that's great, but it'd be nice to have the latest features that are exclusive to Leopard, as well, from 0.2.8b2.

The current official site has an "old versions" page, but it doesn't list anything earlier than 0.3b2.

Looking online, it seems many people still have, and in fact treasure, version 0.2.8 beta 2, but no one provided links/backups to it, other than to refer to the original link, which is unfortunately down for good.

Edit: Oh, in case it helps, this was the original file name: Vox_0.2.8_beta_2.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: reukiodo

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
So, long story short, does anyone here still have that freeware app? That version was the latest one compatible with Leopard (and PPC). Version 0.2.7.1 got captured by archive.org, which was the latest one for Tiger, so that's great, but it'd be nice to have the latest features that are exclusive to Leopard, as well, from 0.2.8b2.

The current official site has an "old versions" page, but it doesn't list anything earlier than 0.3b2.

Looking online, it seems many people still have, and in fact treasure, version 0.2.8 beta 2, but no one provided links/backups to it, other than to refer to the original link, which is unfortunately down for good.

Edit: Oh, in case it helps, this was the original file name: Vox_0.2.8_beta_2.zip

PPCAppStore has Vox.

Would that happen to have the Beta?

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
PPCAppStore has Vox.

Would that happen to have the Beta?
No dice, even when running it from Leopard: it gives you v0.2.7.1. But that was a good idea.

I searched everywhere online that I could, and spammed archive.org everywhere, so from my own end, I don't think I can do much anymore. Now we are at the mercy of someone else. :|
I wish you luck in your treasure hunt, and if successful, emplore you to upload your treasure to be shared with the world on macintoshgarden.org
Preach! I'm already a regular at MG, uploading unique (and not-so-unique) things I find, especially for OS 9, Tiger and Leopard.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Last edited:

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Why, you absolute savior! Thank you!

And 3 minutes?! I will just assume I suck major ballz at googling. If you don't mind my asking, what search terms did you use to find it? I ask so I can see what I did wrong, to do better in the future.

Though I came to realize one thing I could have done, but didn't, after seeing you got it from a chinese website: I only used standard google.com, and my configured search region was "English (US)" or so, for search result priority. I forgot to try other regions, to get very different results more quickly! I used to do this all the time for Japanese and other software, but my brain didn't engage in that direction this time.

I will promptly upload that (and 0.2.7.1) to the Garden as soon as I confirm testing, unless someone else beats me to it.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Why, you absolute savior! Thank you!

And 3 minutes?! I will just assume I suck major ballz at googling. If you don't mind my asking, what search terms did you use to find it? I ask so I can see what I did wrong, to do better in the future.

Though I came to realize one thing I could have done, but didn't, after seeing you got it from a chinese website: I only used standard google.com, and my configured search region was "English (US)" or so, for search result priority. I forgot to try other regions, to get very different results more quickly! I used to do this all the time for Japanese and other software, but my brain didn't engage in that direction this time.

I will promptly upload that (and 0.2.7.1) to the Garden as soon as I confirm testing, unless someone else beats me to it.
Hey, no problem... I guess I was just lucky :)
actually sorry I used duckduck go and used "Vox_0.2.8_beta_2.zip" as search term then I expanded the list and found four entries and I tested all of them...

let me know if the software works
good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and Jubadub

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Hey, no problem... I guess I was just lucky :)
actually sorry I used duckduck go and used "Vox_0.2.8_beta_2.zip" as search term then I expanded the list and found four entries and I tested all of them...

let me know if the software works
good luck
Wow. Just tried it on DuckDuckGo and it indeed shows that website first thing, top result no less. Tried the same on Google, and it shows this thread, plus a few unrelated websites. No word on that chinese website.

Turns out DuckDuckGo does a lot more than just being more privacy-respecting than Google. It can google better than Google.

Reactions: z970

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Wow. Just tried it on DuckDuckGo and it indeed shows that website first thing, top result no less. Tried the same on Google, and it shows this thread, plus a few unrelated websites. No word on that chinese website.

Turns out DuckDuckGo does a lot more than just being more privacy-respecting than Google. It can google better than Google.
true. I thought the same as you :) have you tried it yet?

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
true. I thought the same as you :) have you tried it yet?

upload_2019-8-22_22-58-44.png

Straight from my Quad. In fact, I was able to play a MOD file that I wasn't able to before with 0.2.7.1.

Again, many thanks.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
It plays many types of audio files, both lossless and lossy. So you got .FLAC, .MP3, .XM, .MOD, .SID etc..

It didn't seem to play .mid / .midi, although QuickTime seems to have that covered. And there's also the rare, relatively unknown .v2m, which doesn't play either. But about anything else I throw at it, it plays. It's extremely lightweight both in execution and in file size, and even in screen occupation (you can optionally fill the screen with many of its optional windows that provide more track information and settings).

It's honestly one of the best-crafted audio-playing programs I have ever come across in any platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.