Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I dont know what mac you are using but you are wrong! The new imac will be equivalent to a P4 2Ghz (not the 2.2Ghz though)! Have you got enough RAM?

We know that Virtual PC is not quick, but this gives us the best of both worlds!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Disk Images??

Can anyone tell me where/how I can get/make VPC5.0 disk images for Win 98/2000/XP?

sr

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Falleron
I dont know what mac you are using but you are wrong! The new imac will be equivalent to a P4 2Ghz (not the 2.2Ghz though)! Have you got enough RAM?

We know that Virtual PC is not quick, but this gives us the best of both worlds!

What do you mean I am wrong? I use a powerbook G4 667mhz, 512mb ram. As a designer, I use Flash, photoshop, dreamweaver and the office applications. I assure you the mac is slower. I have a pII laptop and a pIII 933mhz desktop. I am not wrong. These are my observations. You may choose not to believe me but have you got a pc??

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I have a PC (AMD Athlon) + a MAC and I the mac is quicker (especially in photoshop). A laptop is never going to be that good for emulation (lack of cache, 2Mb on towers).

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
If the mac is slower, then why do many graphics people swear by the mac? apart from stability etc

sr

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Falleron
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I have a PC (AMD Athlon) + a MAC and I the mac is quicker (especially in photoshop). A laptop is never going to be that good for emulation (lack of cache, 2Mb on towers).

Agreed re laptops. But I am comparing like for like. pII 400mhz and G4. I am sorry, I have no wish to promote pcs here. I prefer my G4 for a variety of reasons ( less clicks when it comes to doing things being one of them!) but it is slower than my pII 400 128 mb Ram running win98se. This is not an opinion nor is it pc propaganda. This is what I have found. My other grips about my G4 - IRDA is hopeless. Goes on and off. the 10.1.2 update was supposed to have sorted it but no. Copying to the hard disc using a usb storage device is much slower than in pcs.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Give OSX time! Both Windows + pre OSX have been in develoment for long time (15-20 years)! OSX was only released last year + is already near the speed of OS9, there is still plenty of optimization left to be done.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: Disk Images??

Originally posted by tfaz1
Can anyone tell me where/how I can get/make VPC5.0 disk images for Win 98/2000/XP?

OK... Here is how to do it. I dont remeber page by page how... but I think you will figure it out.

When you start VPC 5.0 you will get the start screen that lists your current Windows systems and disk images. Click on the make new image (or something like that) It will ask you if you want VPC to walk you trought it. Tell it yes. Then you just answer the questions. Tell it what you want to call it, What Windows you al planning to install on it, allocate your RAM, all the stuff. And your done.

Then you will see your new Windows disk image on your startup list for VPC 5.0.

Put in a Windows CD in your drive and then start your new windows disk image. It will take a second, then boot off the CD. Then install windows.

If you cant get it to work... email me. I will take another look at it and give you more detail.

-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.