Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbobb24

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
' reference to "challenging governments" '

I am disappointed if Apple truly means this because I guess when the CCP, or the US's FBI, NSA, CIA, or the European, African, Central/South/North Americas, Asia's governments etc want access to an iPhone's data, Apple will now happily comply. Apple must not "challenge governments". Oh no, that would be awful. Maybe they just need to build in a backdoor in order to make sure they don't "challenge governments". /sarcasm

And since when is "challenging governments" illegal?

Apple: encrypt everything using on device keys so you can't do it. Encourage people to use tools like VPNs when governments (China, Myanmar, Cuba) want to control people and when corporations (e.g. Facebook, Google, Twitter etc) want to track and monitor everyone. Stand for something.

Talk is cheap.
In the US challenging governments is the fundamental proposition.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Well, Apple's email itself says that they play an important role in challenging governments. So why do they have a problem with Proton having it in it's description?

I think, it is a far better solution just to "challenge a gouvernment" without yelling, but just doing it. The app itself is available. If you start promoting its capabilities, it is just waking sleeping dogs.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Yep, Freedom of Speech means both good and bad. You either support it or you do not. Apple has chosen.
Indeed. And to those that disagreed with my post above, I’d love to hear what they actually disagree with. Apple has given pretty clear examples of picking sides. The best I can think of is that if Apple picked their side, they are willing to look the other way and ignore it.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
The military are not the legitimate government of Myanmar. They are murderers. Their laws should not be respected by anyone.

Read the article. Apple asked the developer to change the description to omit references that suggest circumventing laws. Apple did not ban the app because it violates any laws in Myanmar (even though it does).

In other words, Apple is ok with the app as long as the idiot developer doesn't telegraph to the entire planet what they're doing.

As usual, much ado about nothing.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Seems like it would be a lot easier to remove two words from the app description than to raise public awareness and hope that Apple will cave. Better yet, remove the two offending words AND let everyone know why you did it. That way the people who need this vital tool can have it in their hands while we settle the politics.
If you are a USA (wo)man - veterans will roll in their graves …

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I’ve already been very disappointed with Apples actions and statements about political issues here in the US. And while they talk like they care so much about civil rights and doing right, they most certainly turn a blind eye to China’s actions. Now this here is just more evidence of them picking sides. Here in the US, they were all for and supportive of protest on one side of the political spectrum, but surpressed opposing viewpoints, and apps used for communication. It’s getting harder for me to want to stay with them.

A lot of their suppliers are in those authoritarian countries as well. Right now Apple is moving production out of China, but most of the places that they are moving into aren’t much better. And given a choice between cheap but made by slaves or more expensive but better pay/benefits/treatments we (the paying customers) seem to prioritize cost as more important.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
To all the Che Guevara's of MR:
This isn't about standing up to governments, it's the issue with bypassing geo restrictions that Netflix, YouTube and other similar apps that instill geoblocks. It becomes Apple's issue if they allow the wording.
Except it’s not. Nothing about the wording Apple takes issue with mentions any of that. Again, if Apple had an issue with VPN’s, which can do all of the above you mention, then they shouldn’t allow any such apps on the platform at all. But they don’t so they clearly do.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Why can't protonVPN simply instruct its customers to set VPN manually? I never download any VPN apps since they're usually crap to begin with. Just give me the server address and codes and I'll set it up manually myself. No need to waste storage space or RAM for these apps.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Putting "this app challenges governments" in its description is a good way to bring unwanted attention from dictator countries who will strong arm companies into banning your app. Play it safe and omit that information to hopefully stay under the radar and keep your "vital" app available.

Reactions: w7ay and luvbug

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Except it’s not. Nothing about the wording Apple takes issue with mentions any of that. Again, if Apple had an issue with VPN’s, which can do all of the above you mention, then they shouldn’t allow any such apps on the platform at all. But they don’t so they clearly do.
Their response literally says that in the article.

scuac

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
' reference to "challenging governments" '

I am disappointed if Apple truly means this because I guess when the CCP, or the US's FBI, NSA, CIA, or the European, African, Central/South/North Americas, Asia's governments etc want access to an iPhone's data, Apple will now happily comply. Apple must not "challenge governments". Oh no, that would be awful. Maybe they just need to build in a backdoor in order to make sure they don't "challenge governments". /sarcasm

And since when is "challenging governments" illegal?
It is in many countries unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
They already did. Long before this blog post was written. App was approved 2 days ago.
What’s the date on their rejection screenshot from the blog? Longer then 2 days ago.
? You would assume that an editor at MacRumors should also be able to catch this small detail..

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki and w7ay

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
Old news. The app already updated yesterday.

IMG_ADEBD8030CAC-1.jpeg

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Apple has to abide by local laws if they want to keep selling in said countries...
that being said...

I don't see whats stopping anyone from registering and buying from another country's app store. If you are in France, can't you log into UK App Store and just buy stuff from there?

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I’ve already been very disappointed with Apples actions and statements about political issues here in the US. And while they talk like they care so much about civil rights and doing right, they most certainly turn a blind eye to China’s actions. Now this here is just more evidence of them picking sides. Here in the US, they were all for and supportive of protest on one side of the political spectrum, but surpressed opposing viewpoints, and apps used for communication. It’s getting harder for me to want to stay with them.

Again the problem are App Store policies. If the App Store wasn’t the thing selling the App than Apple would be off the hook regarding the political nature of certain apps. As of now, due to its policies formally is Apple that is selling the App / Service. A requirement for iPhone and iPad users to be able to access third party apps and services natively and digital services and developers to access their customers.

Apple stance on moral issues and civil rights is fundamentally $marketing$. They have the courage to take it up to point that stinks. Case in case the latest iPhone charger removal from the package sustained in pseudo environmental concerns. They take out the charger and invite to use/buy more dongles and hubs ... heheheh. Better for the environment that way ... and more $$$ for Apple. Brilliant.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

germinator

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Of course, the only reasons I use a VPN is to work around georestrictions and DRM. Everybody, including Apple's legal, knows that. How hypocritical to deny it.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Apple is just asking the App developers to change its description. Even telling them what wording they find acceptable. It really is a simple ask. Resubmit description: Updated App released in 24-48 hours.

JKAussieSkater

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I know it seems opportunistic to bring up this topic, but: If Apple permitted 3rd party app stores, or even 3rd party app downloads (no store required), then Apple wouldn't be compelled into submission by corrupt governments. To be more clear, the law is not a definition of righteousness, and Apple's obligation to the law may also be committing crimes against humanity.

Furthermore, people with iPhones would be able to protect themselves in ways that Apple are obviously failing to.

But indeed, it would seem that Android is the smarter safer choice for people in martial law countries or other regime states.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...] A requirement for iPhone and iPad users to be able to access third party apps and services natively and digital services and developers to access their customers.
This seems like an ad-hoc requirement. Someone's wish list item.
Apple stance on moral issues and civil rights is fundamentally $marketing$.
It's their platform. They gave birth to it. They grew it.
They have the courage to take it up to point that stinks. Case in case the latest iPhone charger removal from the package sustained in pseudo environmental concerns.
At least there is some recognition of environmental benefits, even though it's "pseudo."
They take out the charger and invite to use/buy more dongles and hubs ... heheheh. Better for the environment that way ... and more $$$ for Apple. Brilliant.
Apple is clearly a win-win type of company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.