Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2smooth4u

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Is there a app that allows you to connect to a VPN server. My school wireless is controlled by that. Everytime i try to get the internet on my phone while using wifi i get directed to download VPN client.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
VPN is built in to your iPhone. Settings --> General --> Network --> VPN

Actually, the iPhone doesn't cover every type of VPN. It doesn't cover my University networks, though from what was said about update 2.0, I thought it would bve able to deal with any VPN connection.

So, the question is still up in the air:
Anyone up for making a true -blue VPN app?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Actually, the iPhone doesn't cover every type of VPN. It doesn't cover my University networks, though from what was said about update 2.0, I thought it would bve able to deal with any VPN connection.

So, the question is still up in the air:
Anyone up for making a true -blue VPN app?

Impossible to do with the SDK as the application would need to run in the background and that is not allowed.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Impossible to do with the SDK as the application would need to run in the background and that is not allowed.

Darnit. Well, maybe I could speak o the techs at my uni about this and see if I'm doing something wrong.

It's a PPPOE connection that seems to go in between the Airport and the VPN. ANy advice here would be appreciated?
Dan x

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
talk to your school IT, they should be able to set up an 802.1x which is "enterprise wi-fi" and will log you into the vpn. my school usually requires the cisco VPN as well.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
talk to your school IT, they should be able to set up an 802.1x which is "enterprise wi-fi" and will log you into the vpn. my school usually requires the cisco VPN as well.

Oh snap, if I knew it was that easy, i'd have done it already. I'll get in touch with them asap. thank you so much.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006

My school requires the Cisco VPN, but Cisco VPN is built into the iPhone, so you shouldn't need a workaround for this... Though I may have had to go through some reverse engineering to get the group secret they used for authentication.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
My school requires the Cisco VPN, but Cisco VPN is built into the iPhone, so you shouldn't need a workaround for this... Though I may have had to go through some reverse engineering to get the group secret they used for authentication.

that may well be what I need to do, since that 'secret' is the wall I always come against. I haven't tried it properly there since 2.0, as I've been off for summer since. But I will as soon as I'm back and will follow the advice given here.
Could I ask how you got the secret?
Dan x

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
that may well be what I need to do, since that 'secret' is the wall I always come against. I haven't tried it properly there since 2.0, as I've been off for summer since. But I will as soon as I'm back and will follow the advice given here.
Could I ask how you got the secret?
Dan x

If your school ships an installer package, doing 'Reveal Package Contents' will let you access the connection profiles (I am sure these are also stored somewhere after the install, I just haven't gone looking). The .profile file, if opened in TextEdit, will reveal a long encoded version of the password. I had to google around for a site that could decrypt the Cisco password format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.