Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Howdy,

I use ExpressVPN on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad.

I don’t have a VPN setup for my Apple Watch. I have the cellular version.

Does anyone know if ANY VPN service supports Apple Watch? Is it even possible on Apple Watch?

Thanks!

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Howdy,

Does anyone know if ANY VPN service supports Apple Watch? Is it even possible on Apple Watch?

Thanks!
Good question. Hope the following helps:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Good question. Hope the following helps:
it doesn't

all it says is it uses the VPN on your phone, which doesn't apply when using cellular on the watch.
I'd say "good job googling" but it really wasn't, but at least you skipped the ad results

I'm not sure what the advantage of having VPN on the watch would be, the watch doesn't generate a lot of "sensitive" traffic or a lot of traffic at all, and the stuff it does should be secured with SSL.
They'll be able to see you connect to Apple, but that's no surprise, and maybe some third party servers for stuff like weather or mail. But it's only that you're talking to a certain IP, not what's being said.
It would also impact battery life to some extent, with it having to double process all the data. Not sure if it would be noticeable or not.

The other reason for VPN (accessing devices on remote networks) also really doesn't have much use as apps don't do a lot of accessing the local network.

• Haha
Reactions: Cycom

rebknell

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
I'm looking for the same thing, as my job's wifi is unsecure and won't hook up unless I use my VPN. My watch won't either.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
it doesn't

all it says is it uses the VPN on your phone, which doesn't apply when using cellular on the watch.
I'd say "good job googling" but it really wasn't, but at least you skipped the ad results

I'm not sure what the advantage of having VPN on the watch would be, the watch doesn't generate a lot of "sensitive" traffic or a lot of traffic at all, and the stuff it does should be secured with SSL.
They'll be able to see you connect to Apple, but that's no surprise, and maybe some third party servers for stuff like weather or mail. But it's only that you're talking to a certain IP, not what's being said.
It would also impact battery life to some extent, with it having to double process all the data. Not sure if it would be noticeable or not.

The other reason for VPN (accessing devices on remote networks) also really doesn't have much use as apps don't do a lot of accessing the local network.
If it’s secured with SSL, one could say it isn’t really secure at all.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Howdy,

Thanks!
Turn off cellular, tether to iPhone, use VPN on iPhone. You’ll likely drain both devices in terms of battery though.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Howdy,

Thanks!
Out of pure interest …… what’s your use case for this ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.