Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Hi.

I just paid for and downloaded 24 months of Surfshark which I'm immediately having to cancel & have refunded because the off-the-shelf version doesn't work with 10.13 (.6) High Sierra.

To save me a bit of time, can anyone suggest a reasonably priced VPN that works with my older mac and isn't likely to get upgraded out of function before my 12 month plan runs out?

Thanks.

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
One option that is relatively simple would be to select a VPN provider that provides one of the industry-standard protocols.

Those protocols can be configured in System Preferences, without the hassle of installing a separate app:
  1. L2TP/IPSec
  2. Cisco IPSec
  3. IKEv2

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
One option that is relatively simple would be to select a VPN provider that provides one of the industry-standard protocols.

Those protocols can be configured in System Preferences, without the hassle of installing a separate app:
  1. L2TP/IPSec
  2. Cisco IPSec
  3. IKEv2
Ahhhhhm.... I don't know what that means :-/

Do you know which VPNs provide this, and how to do the preferences thing when i select one?

Sorry for being a bit thick!

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Surfshark dropping older macOS support for their app is probably in line with what other VPN providers are doing.

They do have a support page showing how to connect manually using several methods on various operating systems.

These methods are probably just about identical for other providers.

Surfshark has a link to download a version for older macOS on this page.
I read all that and it sounded a little bit beyond my skillset so they've refunded me...

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Do you know which VPNs provide this, and how to do the preferences thing when i select one?
It seems that the forum rules prohibit it. However, I use my self-built VPN server regardless.

If you are visiting a VPN provider's website, you should be able to find a customer service or pre-sale consulting option. Consider asking them whether they offer any of these protocols.

After your purchase, they will give you username, password, pre-shared key, certificate, etc. Use Apple's guide to setup.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
I just made the same mistake. I’m currently using the older version for high sierra - it works well but lacks certain features. Did you find a good alternative?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.