Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Hi, I was annoyed that my 3 Eve smart plugs get unreliable after some time (taking lots of time to respond, sometimes needing a second command), until I reset them. So I contacted Eve support, and was surprised to learn that VPN and iCloud Private Relay do not work well with HomeKit and will deteriorate response. I was advised to never use VPN or iCloud Private Relay when I open the Home app or use HomeKit in any way. Is this a known problem? I never heard of it before.

Trevanian

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
Apple tech support wanted me to switch off private relay as part of the troubleshooting for my automations constantly failing. My position is that I will not go without it, so I am not interested in whether it fixes the problems. Also, it’s their product interfering with their product, so they are obliged to make it work.
I doubt very much that it is related to the problems, as I have used it for months when the automations worked.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I know this to be the case with VPN. I’ve never had a problem with iCloud Private Relay. Don’t setup HomePods with VPN on. Your account settings will not go through. At least that’s been my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.