Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Hello

Maybe a dumb question but here goes…

NordVPN updated its app for older OSXs a while ago. I am using Mac mini 2011 with High Sierra and Nord 7.13 version should work with it.

But after the update Mac’s vpn icon on the top bar says “VPN is not configured”. The network settings just shows my own ethernet IP and there is no mention of Nord at all. It wasn’t like this before.

It still connects normally though, I checked some geo-blocked websites and tested for ip leaks etc.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the app many times and reseted the network settings, but no change. This Mac or the OS just doesn’t seem to like this version - which is worse anyway than the previous one, analytics is a mess for example.

I asked their technical support many times about this and they don't know what is wrong and that the connection is “protected” nevertheless because the tests on different websites prove that.

So what’s the difference using a VPN that is configured and not configured then? I don’t understand this stuff. Is this still ok to use?

Thanks

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Okay now I understand: During the installation process the app does NOT give me the pop-up that says: "nordvpn would like to add vpn configurations". If it did, I would click "allow" and that would solve the whole problem.

But why it doesn't ask me that, I have no idea. There must be a bug in this version of the app. No matter how many times I have tried to install, that pop-up never comes up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.