Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
Up to macOS 10.12 Sierra it used to be easy with Server.app – we get 60-70 megabytes per second through a gigabit line on 10.12 Server with L2TP. What are you using instead?

I've looked into Wireguard, super fast (85 MB/s) but the setup is tedious. ZeroTier is reasonably fast (45 MB/s) and supports Bonjour, plus it's easy to install – reliability is not 100%, sometimes it just doesn't work. The Synology VPN client is too slow.

There are a few more: Tunnelblick, OpenVPN Enabler, Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter X (reported speeds seem low tho) – what are you using? Thanks for sharing.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a raspberry PI as my vpn server. I used to use OSX server but that is option is gone now. The PI is running L2TP and integrates with the Mac nicely

Last edited:

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I have a MacBook Pro and have been using OpenVPN for years. All of a sudden, I can't connect with my office's VPN. IT set me a connection up through the Settings but that's not a reliable connection, it keeps dropping. My IT people aren't very Mac knowledgable so we're really frustrated at this point. I'm running Ventura 13.3.1, is OpenVPN just completely no longer an option? Are there not any workarounds? I have go to be able to connect to my office VPN to do my job!

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I have a MacBook Pro and have been using OpenVPN for years. All of a sudden, I can't connect with my office's VPN. IT set me a connection up through the Settings but that's not a reliable connection, it keeps dropping. My IT people aren't very Mac knowledgable so we're really frustrated at this point. I'm running Ventura 13.3.1, is OpenVPN just completely no longer an option? Are there not any workarounds? I have go to be able to connect to my office VPN to do my job!
The IT folks should be able to recommend the a VPN client based on the VPN server they use. Hard to know, as it may vary. At least they could give you the requirements. You can install OpenVPN.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
More expensive, but commercial software e.g. VPNTRacker is comprehensive, reliable and very well documented and more reliable than DIY in the system settings.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Up to macOS 10.12 Sierra it used to be easy with Server.app – we get 60-70 megabytes per second through a gigabit line on 10.12 Server with L2TP. What are you using instead?

I've looked into Wireguard, super fast (85 MB/s) but the setup is tedious. ZeroTier is reasonably fast (45 MB/s) and supports Bonjour, plus it's easy to install – reliability is not 100%, sometimes it just doesn't work. The Synology VPN client is too slow.

There are a few more: Tunnelblick, OpenVPN Enabler, Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter X (reported speeds seem low tho) – what are you using? Thanks for sharing.
I would get a specific device and if its for commercial use one with security updates and 2-factor authenitification.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
According to our IT guy, the OpenVPN client dropped support of self signed cert. He had me temporarily set up using the a VPN connection in System Settings. It worked. Sometimes. But was extremely unstable. He is definitely NOT a Mac guy so every time he changes something in the office, he seems to create new issues with my connection. I gave him. I suggested OpenVPN Enabler for Ventura, which I had read about online. He didn't know that Ventura was the name of the current MacOS. He ended up using Tunnelblick and it works flawlessly! I seriously with he would just give me the VPN setting and let me do my own thing, especially since he is so incredibly clueless when it comes to Macs! That or my office needs to get me a laptop to use exclusively for work. Anyway, problem is solved. At least until the next time he decides to play around with the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.