Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I do apologise if there is another thread with this subject I could not find....
But this VPN (Virtual Private Network) stays ON on my iPhone 5. I turn if OFF and in a matter of seconds it turns itself ON! Any suggestion how to get read of this? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    891.7 KB · Views: 1,730
  • image.png
    image.png
    76 KB · Views: 2,287

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I use vpn on my iPhone but never had a problem turning it off... That's real weird... Is this hapening on wifi and 4/G?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I use vpn on my iPhone but never had a problem turning it off... That's real weird... Is this hapening on wifi and 4/G?

On both, 3G and wifi! Only started the last few days and just won't go away! Could this result in more battery consumation?

chipmac64

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
I had the same issue on my iPad. I found that there is another VPN setting in the General Settings area. Scroll done to the bottom of General and you should see a VPN option that says connected. Select this and look at the choose configuration area to see if Connect on Demand is turned on. With this on any time I would use an app that connected to the net the VPN would turn back on. Once I turned Connect on Demand off all is fine. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Hustler1337

Kuwait

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
Kuwait
go to your settings > general > VPN. Now tap the little blue arrow next to 'name vpn' and switch off the 'Connect On Demand'.

Reactions: ricardoPT

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
How does one find the "connect on demand" item? I have never been presented with this option as it just doesn't exist on my device? Could be handy for some things I do and would like to know how to add this option if it is even possible, I am on an original iPhone 5 if it makes a difference (not one of the newer models with the extra bands included).

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Mine does not have "Connect on Demand" but I wish it did... iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2. WiTopia, Verizon, using IPSec as my only configuration.

Should I try a PPTP or L2TP for "Connect on Demand" to show up?

Thanks,

Sheldon

david91

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
I think that is software related. Check out Express VPN. Could be possible for you to use.

ampicillin

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2017
Than
I had the same issue on my iPad. I found that there is another VPN setting in the General Settings area. Scroll done to the bottom of General and you should see a VPN option that says connected. Select this and look at the choose configuration area to see if Connect on Demand is turned on. With this on any time I would use an app that connected to the net the VPN would turn back on. Once I turned Connect on Demand off all is fine. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. It works. I was having the same issue on iPhone 7 plus (Need to connect on blue dot next to VPN name and then options comes up)

derek

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2001
Syracuse, NY
I found a second solution, specific to my VPN app and separate from "Connect on Demand" (which I keep OFF). I'm using proXPN's VPN client app. The first setting inside the app is "Connect to proXPN". I turned that OFF. Leave it off. Everything now works as desired. VPN doesn't attempt to connect unless I tell it to inside Settings: VPN.

One thing I was finding was that having VPN continuously try to connect, while I have WiFi OFF, is that it was creating significant battery drain. I'm glad that's over.

CinZen

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
I've been having the same problem and none of the above worked or was available. My solution was found in my security app. I didn't have a connect on demand option either, and couldn't config it to off or manual. With Mac/Apple the majority of my problems are in preferences or software. So it took turning off a few buttons here or there to find that turning off "block ad trackers" gave me the connect on demand option. Keep trying folks. And thanks for helping me know what to look for!

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Thank you for bringing up this old thread. I have since moved to VPN Unlimited which now has a Connect on Demand, but would like to have the setup that Derek describes above or having a switch in the control screen.

One of these days all of this will shake out.

CinZen

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
Thank you for bringing up this old thread. I have since moved to VPN Unlimited which now has a Connect on Demand, but would like to have the setup that Derek describes above or having a switch in the control screen.

One of these days all of this will shake out.
[doublepost=1511745264][/doublepost]I have VPN unlimited as well, but the battery drain on my 7 is tremendous with VPN on. And for some reason, it keeps me from setting up some of my smart devices. As long as I'm near a charger, I keep it on all the time. Just another layer of safety. And you are so correct--it all shakes out. And in the interim, we just work around it or find a forum; somebody always has an answer.

eiresurg

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
[doublepost=1511745264][/doublepost]I have VPN unlimited as well, but the battery drain on my 7 is tremendous with VPN on. And for some reason, it keeps me from setting up some of my smart devices. As long as I'm near a charger, I keep it on all the time. Just another layer of safety. And you are so correct--it all shakes out. And in the interim, we just work around it or find a forum; somebody always has an answer.

There are two places where VPN is addressed. One is directly under Settings. The other one is under Settings/General. You must click on Settings/General/VPN. Then, click on the blue information bubble next to your VPN service provider.

289bt5h.png

Then, turn off "Connect On Demand" as shown below. You should be good to go.

30aykog.png

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Happy that this old thread was revived. I was having the same trouble and Googled for a solution. and this thread came up at the top of the search results. MacRumors once again comes to the rescue!

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
for me just now-- tried all of that- no luck -looked at home screen pulled up pia then turned it off there....if that didnt get it I was going to uninstall it...seems this is the answer for me...again PIA icon on home screen open turn off there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.