Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I'm starting to research a camera rig for creating spatial video content for the Vision Pro.

Does anyone here have experience shooting in VR 180? Gear recommendations?

Also, I've been trying to compare the cameras in the AVP with those standalone cameras, but haven't found the info yet. For example, in what frame rate does the AVP record video?

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 9.46.31 AM.png

This camera is scheduled to be released in March. See more about it here. It's a $2K camera; I'd love to know how well the cameras in AVP stack up against this one.

For one thing, all the videos that Apple tends to show seem to have a small FOV, something like 60%, compared to the 180 degrees in VR 180.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve been looking at the Canon but read some bad reviews on Amazon.
I've been using a Canon R5 C shooting 8K RAW video (just regular - not for VR) for a long time now. Importantly for 3D180VR, it can shoot full 8K video at 60fps. Frankly, anyone who criticizes it clearly doesn't have a clue how to use it. The thing is a Netflix approved camera for goodness sake. My advice - ignore Amazon reviews.

Hugh Hou has a number of very useful videos on creating 3D180VR content with the camera and the dual fisheye lens, which I would recommend you check out.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I've been using a Canon R5 C shooting 8K RAW video (just regular - not for VR) for a long time now. Importantly for 3D180VR, it can shoot full 8K video at 60fps. Frankly, anyone who criticizes it clearly doesn't have a clue how to use it. The thing is a Netflix approved camera for goodness sake. My advice - ignore Amazon reviews.

Hugh Hou has a number of very useful videos on creating 3D180VR content with the camera and the dual fisheye lens, which I would recommend you check out.
Thanks. Yes, I’ve been watching some of his vids. I’ll look back at the canon. :)

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002

Any recommendations on hand held stabilizers, gimbals?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I’m looking at the same. Have you found any new options? Not sure about Calf since they have no track record. Canon is apparently working on a lower cost 3D camera, but not sure when it will be released. My guess is that we will see a lot more options in the coming years, though I would like to start capturing video now.

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I’m looking at the same. Have you found any new options? Not sure about Calf since they have no track record. Canon is apparently working on a lower cost 3D camera, but not sure when it will be released. My guess is that we will see a lot more options in the coming years, though I would like to start capturing video now.
Yeah, wish I had more info about the new canon coming out. But you likely are seeing all the same options as I am. But still looking at the canon vr 180 lens & camera setup.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Yeah, wish I had more info about the new canon coming out. But you likely are seeing all the same options as I am. But still looking at the canon vr 180 lens & camera setup.
I think I’m just going to stick with experimenting with the Vision Pro itself and the iPhone 15Pro until there are more and better options. I think the technology will evolve much faster in the coming years, so dropping $5k on the Canon now seems risky. I also think the workflow will improve. Right now you can’t just import the content directly into FCP and edit, so support should improve. Maybe Blackmagic will get into this market too.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Supposedly Apple created their own camera’s for shooting the Immersive Video content, not sure if those will ever be a product from Apple.
Yeah, I spoke to someone about this during the demo — they weren’t sure if this is something they will release either. I think we might see a feature length film or series using this tech this year or next on TV+ — that would be bonkers.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Supposedly Apple created their own camera’s for shooting the Immersive Video content, not sure if those will ever be a product from Apple.
If you watch the Alicia Keys rehearsal video you can see cameras set into white speaker towers around the room.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I think I’m just going to stick with experimenting with the Vision Pro itself and the iPhone 15Pro until there are more and better options. I think the technology will evolve much faster in the coming years, so dropping $5k on the Canon now seems risky. I also think the workflow will improve. Right now you can’t just import the content directly into FCP and edit, so support should improve. Maybe Blackmagic will get into this market too.
This is the choice I’ve made for now as well, I bought the 15 Pro when I bought my AVP. I’ve been shooting a bunch of spatial video just as experimentation. I also bought a handheld stabilizer.

And watching a lot of Hugh Hou on YouTube :)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Have you compared the spatial photos taken with the iPhone 15 pro with that taken with the AVP? It’s subjective but I swear the APV looks better.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
This is the choice I’ve made for now as well, I bought the 15 Pro when I bought my AVP. I’ve been shooting a bunch of spatial video just as experimentation. I also bought a handheld stabilizer.

And watching a lot of Hugh Hou on YouTube :)
Let me know if you find out about anything worthwhile, and I’ll do the same here. What handheld stabilizer did you get?

I was toying with the idea of shooting with a good 6K/8K 2D camera, but spatial/immersive videos elevate the experience so much that I don’t see much point for me.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I’m pondering ordering the Canon Dual Fisheye VR lens for my R5 C. I have read quite a few negative reviews about it, but they were mostly related to Canon’s VR software which was new at the time and was at V1.0. It’s now at V1.3 and has received some significant updates. The only downside is that unlike Canon’s other camera software, which is provided for free, the VR software is susbscription-based. It’s only about $60/year, but I really hate subscription-based software. I guess that you have to think that if they’re charging for it, they are continuing (hopefully) to work on, improve, and add new features to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.