Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
There seems to be confusion over the primary use cases for this device and the environment it will be used in. I don’t think it will be designed to be used in public (unless on an airplane). I also don’t think price is a limiting factor, as we can low end Quest headsets that still haven’t seen widespread adoption.

I see the primary use case for this device in the viewing of and interaction with media at home. There will be smaller opportunities in productivity applications, and these will increase as the tech becomes lighter and improves on battery life — but media seems to be the main opportunity right now. If anyone here has used a Magic Leap or HoloLens, what was your use cases? What differentiated these from the mainstream Quest devices?

Reactions: ipedro

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
One question I am curious about is how well this works if the way you consume media is usually in the background while doing something else. For example I almost always watch TV while exercising or doing chores. Is consuming TV shows in a VR headset inherently incompatible with multitasking or would something like pass-through mode make this feasible?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
One question I am curious about is how well this works if the way you consume media is usually in the background while doing something else. For example I almost always watch TV while exercising or doing chores. Is consuming TV shows in a VR headset inherently incompatible with multitasking or would something like pass-through mode make this feasible?
I would think there would be the ability to have multiple video screens open, but it depends on how much of a hit the battery would take.

Reactions: temende

paulmeyers42

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014

You would do this with pass-through mode and I think it would be a great use case.

Personally, this one of the applications I would probably use most often. Like you, I often have a video playing while I do chores, such as cooking/cleaning in the kitchen. I imagine a floating resizable video window that I can position anywhere in space, that is either fixed or follows me around. This is assuming that the pass-through video quality is close to “reality.”

This use case is also one where not having to use controllers is a huge benefit - it frees up your hands to do work. Also, I’m assuming the device is instant on, like every other Apple device. Which means, no boot-up time, no setting up of a boundary, etc. Just put it on, tap on YouTube or your video app, and start working.

Reactions: fullauto

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I like to watch video while playing a VR mini-golf game on PC. I can pin a floating video screen anywhere in 3D space, at any size, or attach it to one of my hands.

I'm sure Apple will allow you to have floating video over pass-through video. The biggest issue with pass-though video is that the cameras aren't exactly where your eyes are, so the software has to do some warping of the image to fix the perspective, and it's more of an issue the closer a real world object is to your headset. So some tasks may be a bit harder to do with the pass-though video.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
I see the primary use case for this device in the viewing of and interaction with media at home.
This is what a plain ol' VR headset is for. Media is best viewed and consumed if nothing else distracts you, and vice versa no one is good at keeping their eyes on a road while watching a video. So, VR is where your point is headed.

For AR, though, there's a whole thread by now - take a look here.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
When it comes to media consumption with AR I‘m hoping we eventually get something akin to holographic video, so like 3D but beyond - with head-tracking so you can move and see from a different angle, especially for things like concerts - imagine having your favourite singer-songwriter sitting, singing & playing in your room.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Assuming the headset was secure, I could see this being a very nice home exercise accessory. Peloton has great guided scenic rides (and unguided). I would absolutely love to have a more immersive experience riding the peloton along a virtual Icelandic coast, for instance.

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
There seems to be confusion over the primary use cases for this device and the environment it will be used in. I don’t think it will be designed to be used in public (unless on an airplane). I also don’t think price is a limiting factor, as we can low end Quest headsets that still haven’t seen widespread adoption.

I see the primary use case for this device in the viewing of and interaction with media at home. There will be smaller opportunities in productivity applications, and these will increase as the tech becomes lighter and improves on battery life — but media seems to be the main opportunity right now. If anyone here has used a Magic Leap or HoloLens, what was your use cases? What differentiated these from the mainstream Quest devices?

I don’t think any of this will work great in 2020s. Users will just struggle with the form factor and bugs and most people will keep waiting for a better form factor.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I don’t think any of this will work great in 2020s. Users will just struggle with the form factor and bugs and most people will keep waiting for a better form factor.
How can you say this when the device hasn’t even been released yet? We don’t know what the form factor will be, or how the software will operate. Nobody assumes the product will have the broad appeal of an iPhone, but it doesn’t need to.

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
How can you say this when the device hasn’t even been released yet? We don’t know what the form factor will be, or how the software will operate. Nobody assumes the product will have the broad appeal of an iPhone, but it doesn’t need to.

True, Apple only needs to meet supply and demand and avoid over producing.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Today’s Bloomberg article from Mark Gurman should fit this discussion perfectly.

Nine years later, we’re about to see something similar play out with the Apple headset, which — based on trademark filings — is likely to be dubbed the Reality Pro or Reality One. The device is packed with new technologies and a wide range of capabilities.

They include:

• The ability to run most of Apple’s existing iPad apps in mixed reality, which blends AR and VR. That includes Books, Camera, Contacts, FaceTime, Files, Freeform, Home, Mail, Maps, Messages, Music, Notes, Photos, Reminders, Safari, Stocks, TV and Weather.
  • A new Wellness app with a focus on meditation, featuring immersive graphics, calming sounds and voice-overs.
  • Being able to run the hundreds of thousands of existing third-party iPad apps from the App Store with either no extra work or minimal modifications.
  • A new portal for watching sports in virtual reality as part of Apple’s push into streaming live games and news.
  • A large gaming focus, including top-tier titles from existing third-party developers for Apple’s other devices.
  • A feature to use the headset as an external monitor for a connected Mac.
  • Advanced videoconferencing and virtual meeting rooms with realistic avatars, ideally making users feel like they’re interacting in the same place.
  • New collaboration tools via the Freeform app that let users work on virtual whiteboards and go over material together.
  • A new VR-focused Fitness+ experience for working out while wearing the headset (though this feature likely won’t arrive until later).
  • A way to watch video while immersed in a virtual environment, such as a desert scene or in the sky.
  • Users will also be able to operate the headset in several different ways, including by hand and eye control and Siri. It also will work with a connected keyboard or controls from another Apple device.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Today’s Bloomberg article from Mark Gurman should fit this discussion perfectly.

Nine years later, we’re about to see something similar play out with the Apple headset, which — based on trademark filings — is likely to be dubbed the Reality Pro or Reality One. The device is packed with new technologies and a wide range of capabilities.

They include:

• The ability to run most of Apple’s existing iPad apps in mixed reality, which blends AR and VR. That includes Books, Camera, Contacts, FaceTime, Files, Freeform, Home, Mail, Maps, Messages, Music, Notes, Photos, Reminders, Safari, Stocks, TV and Weather.
  • A new Wellness app with a focus on meditation, featuring immersive graphics, calming sounds and voice-overs.
  • Being able to run the hundreds of thousands of existing third-party iPad apps from the App Store with either no extra work or minimal modifications.
  • A new portal for watching sports in virtual reality as part of Apple’s push into streaming live games and news.
  • A large gaming focus, including top-tier titles from existing third-party developers for Apple’s other devices.
  • A feature to use the headset as an external monitor for a connected Mac.
  • Advanced videoconferencing and virtual meeting rooms with realistic avatars, ideally making users feel like they’re interacting in the same place.
  • New collaboration tools via the Freeform app that let users work on virtual whiteboards and go over material together.
  • A new VR-focused Fitness+ experience for working out while wearing the headset (though this feature likely won’t arrive until later).
  • A way to watch video while immersed in a virtual environment, such as a desert scene or in the sky.
  • Users will also be able to operate the headset in several different ways, including by hand and eye control and Siri. It also will work with a connected keyboard or controls from another Apple device.
Thanks for posting.
There's one big difference comparing the approach to AR/VR to the watch - $$. I was a fairly early adaptor of the AW knowing that I might "waste" like $400, that was an ok amount for me to try it out.
AR/VR entry point is rumored at $3k, but even $2k or even $1k is certainly not what I would personally spend to "try" it out. AW was/is an extension of the iPhone and adds a lot of value for me.

I see a lot of use cases ion the biz world, not so much for the average consumer but I suppose let's re-visit that in 5 years

Reactions: Realityck

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Let’s face it the pricing is going to be an issue.

It was with the AW when that came out, people thought I was crazy spending $1k on my series zero (stainless steel with butterfly band) - but it lasted me years and now I have stainless steel series 8 and nobody blinks at the Apple watch pricing - I even bought my 14 year old son a series 8.

but $3k is going to make it niche, for a couple of years.

I know I’m not the average joe and my fortunes have lifted since I bought my AW so I might go first-gen again, I will have to wait to see the presentation.

Reactions: terminator-jq

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Thanks for posting.
There's one big difference comparing the approach to AR/VR to the watch - $$. I was a fairly early adaptor of the AW knowing that I might "waste" like $400, that was an ok amount for me to try it out.
AR/VR entry point is rumored at $3k, but even $2k or even $1k is certainly not what I would personally spend to "try" it out. AW was/is an extension of the iPhone and adds a lot of value for me.

I see a lot of use cases ion the biz world, not so much for the average consumer but I suppose let's re-visit that in 5 years
A big difference between the Watch and the XR product is that Apple already produces apps and media that will presumably be useful right away for the XR product, whereas the Watch was limited in utility for a period of time. If existing apps could be ported easily while adding some native VR/AR functionality, that would be a massive accomplishment.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks for posting.

I never pegged Apple for a specific price point with this because originally we didn't know if this is just a much more finished AR glasses example with Akonia Holographics, or is this what is being suggested by press to be a mixed reality headset. Both are quite different examples and price points. Also never trusted press generated hearsay.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Let’s face it the pricing is going to be an issue.

It was with the AW when that came out, people thought I was crazy spending $1k on my series zero (stainless steel with butterfly band) - but it lasted me years and now I have stainless steel series 8 and nobody blinks at the Apple watch pricing - I even bought my 14 year old son a series 8.

but $3k is going to make it niche, for a couple of years.

I know I’m not the average joe and my fortunes have lifted since I bought my AW so I might go first-gen again, I will have to wait to see the presentation.

I fully agree! Tech wise, it seems like Apple is throwing everything possible at this headset to give us what will probably be one of the best quality VR experiences. The problem is… all of that tech puts it into a price bracket that is usually reserved for high end laptops.

Using oversized iPad apps in AR, watching movies in space, doing yoga on a mountain top, having virtual monitors for a MacBook and playing immersive games all sound great… but not for $3000. Especially when many of us already have real iPads and external monitors and for virtual games and experiences, the upcoming Quest 3 or a PS5/ PSVR2 duo would give great experiences at a much lower cost… For $3000, Apple needs to tap into the M2 chip and give us a true valuable use case. If they want to give it a Pro level price, the hardware and OS need to enable users to do things and create in ways that give a true advantage.

I will definitely be looking to see some high level software partnerships for this headset. Let’s see Apple bring out Adobe, Maxon and companies like that to see some truly professional use cases. I’d also like to see Apple themselves create some pro level apps like a 3D form of Freeform. These type of use cases would help justify the price point for me.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I fully agree! Tech wise, it seems like Apple is throwing everything possible at this headset to give us what will probably be one of the best quality VR experiences. The problem is… all of that tech puts it into a price bracket that is usually reserved for high end laptops.

Using oversized iPad apps in AR, watching movies in space, doing yoga on a mountain top, having virtual monitors for a MacBook and playing immersive games all sound great… but not for $3000. Especially when many of us already have real iPads and external monitors and for virtual games and experiences, the upcoming Quest 3 or a PS5/ PSVR2 duo would give great experiences at a much lower cost… For $3000, Apple needs to tap into the M2 chip and give us a true valuable use case. If they want to give it a Pro level price, the hardware and OS need to enable users to do things and create in ways that give a true advantage.

I will definitely be looking to see some high level software partnerships for this headset. Let’s see Apple bring out Adobe, Maxon and companies like that to see some truly professional use cases. I’d also like to see Apple themselves create some pro level apps like a 3D form of Freeform. These type of use cases would help justify the price point for me.
I’m sure Adobe will a partner that they will reach out to, along with others that have a strong history on iOS/Mac. This is something that competition doesn’t have, and this could be a big differentiator.

As far as the $3000 price, the main person that has the power to set the retail price is Tim Cook, and he is obviously not going to leak this information. Only a fool would base a purchase decision on a made up number. If anything, that number may be related to the deposit that developers will have to make to receive the kit (similar to the Apple Silicon kit).

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm hoping for something like this ;)

693543f84b9e146c959d39162e03967e.png

Reactions: terminator-jq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.