Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Do you have one now that gives you problems?

The best one i've used is the Sony. I guess they only make one. Problems i've had are in the cold weather. It ejects. But when it works, it sounds perfect. So now i'm using one by Monster and the sound SUCKS but it works in the cold.

I have an 04 Beetle that came with the cassette. I got an Alpine stereo installed and was in heaven for a week. I was able to hook up the ipod to it BUT it messes up the wiring in VW's to have an aftermarket stereo installed. My airbag light went on and the dealer nor my mechanic could read the problems. I had to go and get the original stereo put back in to find out why the Airbag light was on. There were two problems with the airbag that were covered under warranty. Just a heads up for you about VWs and aftermarket stereos and Check Lights. It's only for 1998 and up.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
This is going to sound like a plug, but I have a blitzsafe adaptor. The whole thing cost about 89 dollars. Basically, it plugs into the factory CD changer plug. Then you can run the cable up to the front. Cheap, no cutting/drilling for install, and works like a dream with the factory headunit. Wish I had gotten it years ago. There are several different models depending on what functionality you want...

yarngrrl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Madison, WI
This is going to sound like a plug, but I have a blitzsafe adaptor. The whole thing cost about 89 dollars. Basically, it plugs into the factory CD changer plug. Then you can run the cable up to the front. Cheap, no cutting/drilling for install, and works like a dream with the factory headunit. Wish I had gotten it years ago. There are several different models depending on what functionality you want...

Which assumes one has a CD changer plug. Not everyone has a newer stereo (or a newer car).

I have to second the Sony. I tried another brand (can't remember which one) and it sounded terrible. Picked up the Sony, and the sound is great.
I don't usually listen to my tape deck or CDs when it's super cold until the car is warmed up (old habits die hard), so I can't say how it performs in winter. But, once the car is warmed up, it works fine.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Which assumes one has a CD changer plug. Not everyone has a newer stereo (or a newer car).

True, however, the original poster is talking about a New Beetle, and all of those have come pre-wired from the factory with a CD changer harness, regardless of if you have the changer or not. At least they used to be...Not sure about later years (mine is a 1998).

Of course, I'm also assuming you mean a New Beetle and not an air-cooled Type 1.

They also make models that plug into the back of the radio, but you have to pull the radio and cut some things to run the cable.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ

Did you install the Blitzsafe yourself? I can't find a car audio place around me. They used to be all over the place. There was one down the road a few years ago. I asked him what i can do and his only solution was $500!!

I think this thread probably isn't in the correct section by now. It was nice to see this posted though because i've been going crazy with getting better sound with the iPods in my car. I was so bummed to have that stereo removed. Best Buy actually refunded me the entire purchase because of the airbag situation.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Did you install the Blitzsafe yourself? I can't find a car audio place around me. They used to be all over the place. There was one down the road a few years ago. I asked him what i can do and his only solution was $500!!

I think this thread probably isn't in the correct section by now. It was nice to see this posted though because i've been going crazy with getting better sound with the iPods in my car. I was so bummed to have that stereo removed. Best Buy actually refunded me the entire purchase because of the airbag situation.

Yes, I installed myself. However, the one I have plugs into the CD changer port in the trunk. I then ran the wire up to the front passenger cupholder. Not as clean looking perhaps as a custom install, but still pretty easy. Took about 10 minutes.

This is what I have:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/VW_MLINK1_V3A.html

Plus an extension cable.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Yes, I installed myself. However, the one I have plugs into the CD changer port in the trunk. I then ran the wire up to the front passenger cupholder. Not as clean looking perhaps as a custom install, but still pretty easy. Took about 10 minutes.

This is what I have:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/VW_MLINK1_V3A.html

Plus an extension cable.

I have looked in my trunk and don't see a cd changer. That sounds very easy but i don't think my car came with that. I think the unit would have to be taken out. VW wants about 400 to install the "iPod adapter". It's not worth that much because you can't even select/view artists or songs.

Green2Delta

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
I have an '03 20th GTI with the stock Monsoon head unit and I use an older Sony tape adapter. It works fine except for the fact that it squeaks when its playing. I have to turn the music up louder than the squeaking or it get irritating.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I have looked in my trunk and don't see a cd changer. That sounds very easy but i don't think my car came with that. I think the unit would have to be taken out. VW wants about 400 to install the "iPod adapter". It's not worth that much because you can't even select/view artists or songs.

What model/year are we talking about here? If this is a Beetle, on the left hand side of the trunk should be a black plastic cover that covers up the CD changer plug. You should have the plug even if you don't (and never) had a changer.

My knowledge of later models is a little rusty, though...They might have changed this (especially after they added the armrest CD changer option or the in dash player, or the Monsoon.....)

You might check out the VW Vortex forums:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=750

They were a big help to me in finding the Blitzsafe...

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
What model/year are we talking about here? If this is a Beetle, on the left hand side of the trunk should be a black plastic cover that covers up the CD changer plug. You should have the plug even if you don't (and never) had a changer.

My knowledge of later models is a little rusty, though...They might have changed this (especially after they added the armrest CD changer option or the in dash player, or the Monsoon.....)

You might check out the VW Vortex forums:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=750

They were a big help to me in finding the Blitzsafe...

I have an 04 Beetle GLS. I'll have to look again in the trunk. Thank you for the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.