Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndauphin583

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Macon, GA
Just finished installing Windows 10 on a new (to me) cMP 1,1 (firmware updated to 2,1) running 10.11.6. Was hoping to get Windows 10 installed on it to be able to do some work at home using Windows-only applications until I could save up for all the parts for a high-end PC I'm planning to build over the next few months. I successfully, but only after much headache, managed to install Windows 10 on the second HDD in the system. For the purposes of this post, we'll call this Disk 2, with OS X being installed on Disk 1.

As a side note, this is my first time working with Bootcamp, and I'm in the beginning stages of working with OS X "under the hood", so it's entirely possible I'm missing some obvious solution.

One of the headaches in the install process was that I couldn't seem to find any way to make a USB W10 Installation Media bootable, so I ended up using an old 80GB HDD I had from an outdated and dysfunctional PC as the bootable Installation Media (from here on out, Disk 3). I got it working just fine, have a functional Windows 10 OS, and even worked through the steps to get Bootcamp and Drivers installed, despite Apple's best efforts. But the problem is that I can't take Disk 3 out of the cMP and have Disk 2 be bootable. I've double checked, and as best I can tell, all of the OS files are on Disk 2, and I can see all files in the Bootcamp folder in OS X, but as soon as I try to boot W10 without Disk 3 in, I get nothing.

Any thoughts, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.