Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I'm finally back in town tomorrow and will be picking up my 15" MBP but now that Apple has teased a Black Friday sale I have this crazy idea to wait two more days to pick it up.

Anyone think they'll offer something for tbMBP purchasers?

Is it weird that they'd potentially offer a gift card, etc. when all the new MBP owners are still within their 14-day return window?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Is it weird that they'd potentially offer a gift card, etc. when all the new MBP owners are still within their 14-day return window?
It is for this reason that I doubt we will see any offers relating to the new MacBook Pros.

(Random point of order - in countries where Apple is operating its holidays return policy all new MacBook Pros with Touch Bar are eligible for return until January 8 - not the usual 14 days - because they were received after November 10! :) )

Reactions: Corrode

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Simple economics apply here..Demand is higher than supply on these laptops right now I see NO reason they would put them on sale. Buy it, and if it does go on sale go back to ask for a credit or threaten to exercise your right to return. I highly doubt MBPs will go on any kind of sale, and Apples history with Black Friday in the past has been weak. Almost not worth waiting for.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
At the rate fanboys are gobbling up the new machines, I wouldn't expect any price drops at all as Apple is under no pressure to do so.

Reactions: urbZZ

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Not personal. Just annoying to have threads derailed with negativity.

The laptop (both 13 and 15) are awesome..You will love it. Just gotta get over the battery life that may be addressed with an update according to some on these boards.

Reactions: Corrode

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Exactly. You don't see me whining.

You whined about whiners, that is why I called you out on your selective whining. What I mentioned in my original post was a reasonable explanation. The prices will not go down as people have no problems paying ridiculous prices to buy new fancy machines, even though they are only marginally better than last years version, in a lot of ways worse. If you can't put up with the replies then don't ask the question.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
At the rate fanboys are gobbling up the new machines, I wouldn't expect any price drops at all as Apple is under no pressure to do so.

I don't see you whining when the praise goes overboard... Which is virtually all the time here.

You whined about whiners, that is why I called you out on your selective whining, now move on.

*Sigh* Time to break out that ignore button again!

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

I find the constant whining and intentional name calling to be old too. It's not productive and the way you and others disrupt threads should be dealt with by the mods, but that won't happen, so I'm glad that others are also willing to unapologetically call you out.

Reactions: HenryDJP

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
I find the constant whining and intentional name calling to be old too. It's not productive and the way you and others disrupt threads should be dealt with by the mods, but that won't happen, so I'm glad that others are also willing to unapologetically call you out.

Which other threads have I disrupted? This forum is loaded these days with all kinds of questions about whether people should invest in the new rmbps, so you are obviously going to see a lot of negative impressions over and over again. If fact I hope all this 'whining' will lead to Apple not slamming us with the same price hike when the next iteration comes along.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
If fact I hope all this 'whining' will lead to Apple not slamming us with the same price hike when the next iteration comes along.

Apple don't troll these forums. If you want to make a difference start an influential blog or email cook or Schiller.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Which other threads have I disrupted? This forum is loaded these days with all kinds of questions about whether people should invest in the new rmbps, so you are obviously going to see a lot of negative impressions over and over again. If fact I hope all this 'whining' will lead to Apple not slamming us with the same price hike when the next iteration comes along.

C'mon man. You busted into this thread and started calling people fanboys for "swooping up" the new MBP. Do you not see that as provoking? Then in your post above, your last sentence doesn't qualify as whining? Take a step back and look at it...

Reactions: HenryDJP

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Simple economics apply here..Demand is higher than supply on these laptops right now I see NO reason they would put them on sale. Buy it, and if it does go on sale go back to ask for a credit or threaten to exercise your right to return. I highly doubt MBPs will go on any kind of sale, and Apples history with Black Friday in the past has been weak. Almost not worth waiting for.

Sort-of.

Supply for Apple can be reconciled by providing pre-sales, and having longer wait times on delivery. Pre-sales shove the cost of waiting onto the consumers.

Time-value of money basically says that it's better for Apple to have money now, than later.

So let's just play what if. What if there's a large group of people who want the rMBP, but think it's too expensive.
- They want it now, but won't buy it at the current price. They have the money.
- But, they won't want it in 6 months, even if there is a price drop, because they feel the discount only matches 6 months depreciation from release.

While supply is lower than demand right now, I think Apple is going to be at a demand shortage once they've met their initial ~2 month sales.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Sort-of.

Supply for Apple can be reconciled by providing pre-sales, and having longer wait times on delivery. Pre-sales shove the cost of waiting onto the consumers.

Time-value of money basically says that it's better for Apple to have money now, than later.

So let's just play what if. What if there's a large group of people who want the rMBP, but think it's too expensive.
- They want it now, but won't buy it at the current price. They have the money.
- But, they won't want it in 6 months, even if there is a price drop, because they feel the discount only matches 6 months depreciation from release.

While supply is lower than demand right now, I think Apple is going to be at a demand shortage once they've met their initial ~2 month sales.

Apple has always used a pull supply chain model, so I disagree with everything you said, award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.