Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Buy the iMac now. It is an excellent machine and will do everything you want it to do well. And it will last you over 2 years. I am so tired of the whole video card is crappy in the iMac discussion that my head hurts.

I do not play any games on my iMac G5, but I do all the stuff that the VAST majority of users do: web design, GarageBand, Digital Home Movie editing, DVD burning, surfing, etc. and the current video card is more than up to these tasks. And it will be for several years to come.

Attention all hardcore gamers: You are a niche market. Even more a niche market than Mac users themselves. You all need to relax about the ***** video card nonsense. A computer is not automatically crappy because it does not do exactly what you want it to do. In fact, you do Apple a dis-service by convincing people who may not know any better not to buy Macs because they think the video card is inferior to what you can get in a PC (which is not true for the price range). And I don't want to hear about upgradability either. Again, the VAST majority of people NEVER crack open their computers.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
slu said:
Buy the iMac now. It is an excellent machine and will do everything you want it to do well. And it will last you over 2 years. I am so tired of the whole video card is crappy in the iMac discussion that my head hurts.

I do not play any games on my iMac G5, but I do all the stuff that the VAST majority of users do: web design, GarageBand, Digital Home Movie editing, DVD burning, surfing, etc. and the current video card is more than up to these tasks. And it will be for several years to come.

Attention all hardcore gamers: You are a niche market. Even more a niche market than Mac users themselves. You all need to relax about the ***** video card nonsense. A computer is not automatically crappy because it does not do exactly what you want it to do. In fact, you do Apple a dis-service by convincing people who may not know any better not to buy Macs because they think the video card is inferior to what you can get in a PC (which is not true for the price range). And I don't want to hear about upgradability either. Again, the VAST majority of people NEVER crack open their computers.

Yeah sure it (imac G5) will last longer than two years but it won't be pretty. All I can say to that though is I wonder how much fun you would be having on a 2 year old 800Mhz imac G4 with a 32MB Geforce 2MX with a Max Ram ceiling of 1GB worth of PC133. GargageBand barely runs on a two year old imac, Digital Video Editing is virtually not worth tampering with and if one wants to advance in DV editing and looks to Motion then the Video Card makes all the difference. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention how fun it is to burn DVDs at 1X speed on my old imac G4 800 with it's 2X DVD drive that only burns 1X now because of the limitied availability of 2X DVD-R that limits burning to 1X.

Check me back 2 years from now and let me know how your imac G5 is capable of handling anything and everything two years from now.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Little Endian said:
Yeah sure it (imac G5) will last longer than two years but it won't be pretty. All I can say to that though is I wonder how much fun you would be having on a 2 year old 800Mhz imac G4 with a 32MB Geforce 2MX with a Max Ram ceiling of 1GB worth of PC133. GargageBand barely runs on a two year old imac, Digital Video Editing is virtually not worth tampering with and if one wants to advance in DV editing and looks to Motion then the Video Card makes all the difference. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention how fun it is to burn DVDs at 1X speed on my old imac G4 800 with it's 2X DVD drive that only burns 1X now because of the limitied availability of 2X DVD-R that limits burning to 1X.

Check me back 2 years from now and let me know how your imac G5 is capable of handling anything and everything two years from now.
Hardware tech is slowing down a bit...it won't be that severe...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.