Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IchFrage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2021
Hello

i am using a macbook pro 13 early 2015 basic edition for almost 6 years .. (i think thats a decent duration)

but i have the issue that i cant charge it anymore. The charger light is on but my mac says „not charging“ it also shows me the warning when a battery is not ok anymore.

i downloaded battery health and the results are :
- battery health 60%
- 1350+ cycles

i am not sure if the charger is defective or the battery or both maybe even the little board that connects the magsafe2.

so i planed on waiting for the new macbooks but i need smth right now!

QUESTION:
i can not decide if i should spend up to 200€ to fix my macbook (whole charging + battery hardware) anf keep waiting for the new macbook
Or should i buy a m1 macbook air or pro right now ?
or is there even a better windows laptop that i should consider to buy? The only thing that i am thinking of to make me switch back to windows is the ability to play AAA video games..

I just cant decide and i dont have much knowledge about laptops these days

USAGE:
- i surf and research a lot (using safari a looot)
- i would like to have many tabs open and maybe some other software like music , PS, logic pro etc. ( currently using 8gb and i definitely want 16gb to be my next)
- i want to produce music and use music softwares
- i want to produce and edit videos/photos and use video and photo softwares
- tiny bit of coding like web designing , wordpress mainly
- now to video games:: i dont want to play much any more but i want to be able to play low specs videos games like minecraft / LoL / any battle.net game like diablo and WoW / CS:GO (probably not much anymore) / maybe some older AAA games like tomb raider —- here the question if an Air is still enough or a Pro is a must .. how huge is the difference in comparison of both of them anyway

if i would like to play better games like BF 5/6 or CoD , the witcher3 etc. i would buy myself smth like a used gaming pc for ~600-800€ In combination with a macbook but i dont have the desire to play such games in excess anymore . I rather play the low spec games mentioned above on occasion. Even tho the idea of a windows laptop with a good nvidia chip feels good but i want to stick with a good macbook for production/ productivity/ creativity

its a back and forth and i cant decide

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store there?
If so, I suggest you take it to them, and let them look at it.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If an early 2015 is serving you well enough I see no reason an M1 MBA wouldn't do even more so. It's far more powerful, lighter, better battery duration, with an even better screen (same retina resolution plus more colourful, plus brighter). Bear in mind the upcoming 14" MBP is likely to be considerably more expensive (probably replacing the current $1,799 Intel 13" MacBook Pro at a similar price). The next MacBook Air is likely at least 8 months away in March, based on some recent rumours. A MacBook Air with any remaining budget going on a gaming PC (or maybe a latest gen console?) seems a good solution for you.

IchFrage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2021
I wouldn’t really say the 2015 serves me well enough .. i am getting sick of it slowly since it got laggy.. i reinstalled OSX a lot of times but it still starts to lag sometimes..

So hearing how great a m1 macbook can be makes me to want it even more .. now i think the decision between an Air or Pro m1 could be easy - i assume the Pro has a much better performance + cooling.
The questions now is how huge the GAP will be between the currrwnt m1 and the upcoming m1 macbooks..
i feel like the actual macbooks are good enough but the upcoming could be overkill which i dont care much about. But if the rumors of bringing magsafe back and adding more inches to the display are right - i have to wait..
I cant survive those months until the new ones get released tho

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
I wouldn’t really say the 2015 serves me well enough .. i am getting sick of it slowly since it got laggy.. i reinstalled OSX a lot of times but it still starts to lag sometimes..

So hearing how great a m1 macbook can be makes me to want it even more .. now i think the decision between an Air or Pro m1 could be easy - i assume the Pro has a much better performance + cooling.
The questions now is how huge the GAP will be between the currrwnt m1 and the upcoming m1 macbooks..
i feel like the actual macbooks are good enough but the upcoming could be overkill which i dont care much about. But if the rumors of bringing magsafe back and adding more inches to the display are right - i have to wait..
I cant survive those months until the new ones get released tho
If you need it right now there’s no reason to wait. I’d personally just check prices and explain your situation if you have an Apple store near you. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.