Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iClique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I've been wanting to make the switch for a while now and I was researching the Macbook and decided to get it. However, I've been reading that in June 2008 there will be a new update that will feature 8 gigs of ram!?

Should I try and wait the few months until then so I can get the better machine? Also, will these machines still be the same base prices or will they jump dramatically?

-iC

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
The Montevina platform will support DDR3 memory with a 1066MHz FSB. I don't think that the notebook version will support more than 4GB though.

inspir3

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Apple usually keeps the price steady if its just a simple update, so unless they rebrand the macbook into something else, then i would assume the price would say relatively the same.

Alot of the people here will tell you that, if you need it, buy it now, if you dont you may wish to wait, but once your decide to make your purchase in june... a new rumor will float around making you wait till 09:p

iClique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
So you think it's safe to buy a Macbook now and it won't be immediatly outdated?

Also, is 4gigs of Ram sufficient for basic use? My desktop only has 512mb, as did my XP laptop and it locked up sometimes. I'll do some basic stuff with the addition of torrents and light movie editing.

w.t.f

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
The thing about waiting for these updates is that there is always ALWAYS better coming. No matter when you buy, it'll be outclassed soon enough. So, just decide.. do I need it know, and do I really need that update? If not buy now, because you could be waiting a while.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
2GB is probably more enough for basic use as you describe it. You will probably never use the extra 2GB unless you are doing higher end graphics/video stuff or running Parallels/VMWare Fusion.

iClique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I think...

:confused:

I think I'm gonna sleep on it tonight and decide in the morning. I don't NEED the Mac this very minute but I do WANT it. The need/want exchange rate can be classified as the ability to wait. I know I could NEVER use 8gigs of RAM at one time- which I why I want to wait got it.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
The pricing will be similar on any new versions that may get released, but adding that 8gb of ram will probably set you back over $1000 you get it from Apple.

csa9

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
The pricing will be similar on any new versions that may get released, but adding that 8gb of ram will probably set you back over $1000 you get it from Apple.

This is very true, memory from Apple is very very expensive.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Well if you are not eaquer and have a Mac then wait. Otherwise get a G4 for the time being and play that and get used to having a mac. Thing is, Last updates to the prossessor were quite minor, front bus and stuff has not changed for a while, so assuming that this will be released for the macs, it will be a whole new and HUGE step for the units so i would wait. That is if it does actually come out.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
This is very true, memory from Apple is very very expensive.

Indeed, the new memory would be pricey at first, but really 4 gigs is an overkill as it is, i am sure that after a months or so it will drop, so like in my previous post (sry for DP) descide yourself.

EDIT: Such huge updates are usually released for the MBP first and then the MB follow, unless intel would want to yet again pressure Apple to phaze out Penryn

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Look.. if you want it now, just get it! Since you say you are managing with 512MB on your desktop, I dont see how a 4GB would ever not be enough :)

I got a 2.0Ghz MB Black last may and upgraded the RAM to 2GB. Since then the macbook has been updated thrice. It went to 2.16Ghz, then SR and then Penryn. My MB still boots in like 25 secs and as fast as I want it! These core2duo's are plenty fast and unless there is a 4 core comming in like 2 months, I wont be worried.

PS: As far as I know, despite the SR MB's having a FSB of 800Mhz, it still ships with 667Mhz RAM, and I'm sure even if the next revision supports 1066Mhz it will still be shipping with 667Mhz RAM :) (Someone please confirm this!)

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Look.. if you want it now, just get it! Since you say you are managing with 512MB on your desktop, I dont see how a 4GB would ever not be enough :)

I got a 2.0Ghz MB Black last may and upgraded the RAM to 2GB. Since then the macbook has been updated thrice. It went to 2.16Ghz, then SR and then Penryn. My MB still boots in like 25 secs and as fast as I want it! These core2duo's are plenty fast and unless there is a 4 core comming in like 2 months, I wont be worried.

PS: As far as I know, despite the SR MB's having a FSB of 800Mhz, it still ships with 667Mhz RAM, and I'm sure even if the next revision supports 1066Mhz it will still be shipping with 667Mhz RAM :) (Someone please confirm this!)

Dont think so, it will use differnt type of ram, not ddr2, ddr3 or gddr3 forgot what it is.

inspir3

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
So you think it's safe to buy a Macbook now and it won't be immediatly outdated?

Also, is 4gigs of Ram sufficient for basic use? My desktop only has 512mb, as did my XP laptop and it locked up sometimes. I'll do some basic stuff with the addition of torrents and light movie editing.

it depends, how would you feel if you bought the macbook now and their is a huge update in june?

its a gamble you'd have to take, my windows machine is still going okay, so i'll be waiting for the next major update before i get one.

from what i've read the feb revision wasnt much of a revision, although on spec wise it seemed faster, several sites have shown that there was not much of a performance increase.

Does anyone know if monteniva will warrant a case re design? ie. case HAS TO be changed due to physical limitations?
im asking b/c, i dont see apple changing the design until they HAVE TO. ie, when theres a big change in intels processors.

wannabe07

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I feel your pain...

I've been asking myself the same question for a while now. I really WANT a new MB, but my current lappy is doing well enough that I could wait until June for the next hypothetical update.

I was rather pissed off when I finally bought a 16 gig iPod Touch less than two weeks before they released the 32 gig version. Luckily, I was able to exchange it, but not without paying the restocking fee and losing $20 for the software upgrade. So I'm totally with you about not wanting to miss the big update.

SO here's my .02: if you would be happy with the specs on the current MB - and I mean truly satisfied and happy - then there's no reason not to buy one now. However, if there is something missing that you would really want from the MB, something that could be updated soon, it's probably worth it to wait. Going back to my IPT example, I settled for the 16 gig, thinking that they wouldn't come out with a 32 gig anytime soon. If you would be settling for the MB the way it is now, wait a few months. If not, why not buy one now?

Good luck!

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I have $1000 towards my MacBook, and will get a job this summer to make enough (a little over $500 is what I need) to pay for the black MacBook.

I don't need it now, but I still have a ****** Dell. When using it next year, I want it to be new as can be. :D

sealab2021

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
How about you guys buy the laptop and then when you aren't satisfied with your MB, decide that that hole in your life, that the macbook failed to fill is because you really wanted a MBP!

Then buy one of those too! Then after ol' Stevie has suckered, er, I mean convinced you to upgrade, decide about buying a few more apple products to fill the hole! You'll loose meaning in computers, and you can begin the long road ahead of finding new meaning to your life. I know this because its the story of my life.

Stevie stole my passion for computers by making a computer too good. HP never did this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.