Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
Just wanted to chime back in. I've also purchased two smart locks and have hooked both up without the Connect. I've got to say, I'm very impressed with the Bluetooth range. Rough distances from the Apple TV are about 15 feet from the front door, and about 28 feet from the kitchen door. I can confirm that both locks work remotely without a problem from outside of the home, with Siri, with other HomeKit enabled apps, AND with the August app--albeit with typical HomeKit sluggishness. It takes a few seconds for the command to execute. So far, I'm very pleased.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
... AND with the August app--albeit with typical HomeKit sluggishness. It takes a few seconds for the command to execute. So far, I'm very pleased.
I'll be damned... Last time I tried this, I was at home so to test remote functions with Siri I just turned off my wifi and bluetooth. In the app, I was just shown a grey lock icon with "please turn on bluetooth" on it. I tried again now and got the same message, but I just tapped the lock anyway and after a few seconds of it pulsating, the lock turned red, showing me its status. So it worked for me too. They definitely don't mention that on their site. All I've seen them say is you can use Siri remotely if have an Apple TV, didn't mention the app working as well. Thanks for the info

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
I'll be damned... Last time I tried this, I was at home so to test remote functions with Siri I just turned off my wifi and bluetooth. In the app, I was just shown a grey lock icon with "please turn on bluetooth" on it. I tried again now and got the same message, but I just tapped the lock anyway and after a few seconds of it pulsating, the lock turned red, showing me its status. So it worked for me too. They definitely don't mention that on their site. All I've seen them say is you can use Siri remotely if have an Apple TV, didn't mention the app working as well. Thanks for the info

Yep, though to be fair, I've noticed that the kitchen lock doesn't always work as I've tested it over and over again. I think the kitchen lock is just at the limits of the Bluetooth range. Every time I've tried the front door lock remotely, it's worked. I may try to either put the Apple TV a few feet closer to the kitchen, or get a Connect module just for that lock.

I agree though, I assumed that the app wouldn't connect to the locks via anything aside from Bluetooth unless a Connect was present. That was a pleasant surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.