Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
RISC-V has a loooooooooog way to go beyond IoT. All the talk about RISC-V future only came from their own mouth, without showing any relevant numbers.
Unless it gains a significant player with huge money chest and willing to invest it in a long term, it won't have a place beyond embedded applications that doesn't require ISA compatibility.
LMFAO.

RISC-V supporters:

ALIBABA
nVidia
DARPA
and a long long etc
take just a bit: https://insidehpc.com/?s=risc-v

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
LMFAO.

RISC-V supporters:

ALIBABA
nVidia
DARPA
and a long long etc
take just a bit: https://insidehpc.com/?s=risc-v

You can put the entire page of supporter list and my point still stands. Overwhelming majority of RISC-V cores are not used beyond embedded controllers where ISA compatibility is not a concern. It needs a player with billions of warchest with long term commitment or it will stay as niche low cost alternative for FPGA applications.
They still got long ass way to go.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Overwhelming majority of RISC-V cores are not used beyond embedded controllers where ISA compatibility is not a concern

tellme where an IoT device needs a 4096 core CPU.

All what you said about ISA, is not different as to switch from amd64 to ARM, first Linux (gcc and llvm are ready for RISC-V), servers, hpc, etc then Android (or fuchsia), I dont say it will happen soon, but will happen.

Ah, you don't need billions to develop an RISC-V cpu, actually a 1024 core cpu cost 1mm to develop at 16nm including enginnering IP FAB etc, it was the Epiphany-IV

educate your self https://riscv.org/members-at-a-glance/

I dont say Intel will disapear, neither ARM but likely as with MS which embraced opensource at last, they will learn RISC-V and likely develop its own RISC-V compatible processors likely aiming to regain market dominance.

In fact is commented next all-new Intel post-x86 architecture is hugely inspired by RISC-V.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
tellme where an IoT device needs a 4096 core CPU.

All what you said about ISA, is not different as to switch from amd64 to ARM, first Linux (gcc and llvm are ready for RISC-V), servers, hpc, etc then Android (or fuchsia), I dont say it will happen soon, but will happen.

Ah, you don't need billions to develop an RISC-V cpu, actually a 1024 core cpu cost 1mm to develop at 16nm including enginnering IP FAB etc, it was the Epiphany-IV

educate your self https://riscv.org/members-at-a-glance/

I dont say Intel will disapear, neither ARM but likely as with MS which embraced opensource at last, they will learn RISC-V and likely develop its own RISC-V compatible processors likely aiming to regain market dominance.

In fact is commented next all-new Intel post-x86 architecture is hugely inspired by RISC-V.

Ah, Epiphany-IV, certainly was a interesting stuff. Where is it now? I haven't heard much from the company for few years.
It doesn't take huge development budget to create an architecture, but actually putting on effort in making competitive product that is able to take best of x86 and Arm product definitely will. I don't see that happening anytime soon, not in this decade.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Say that in five years when the minis, PBs and iMacs have gone to the scrap heap and the NcMP is still going strong with hardware updates to keep it relevant.

Lou

Last edited:
Reactions: choreo and MarkC426

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
With AS in MP by 2022, no MP refresh is expected I guess. Different socket, different everything, a whole new MP would be required. Either ICL later on or SR would require a major revamp, don't see that happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.