Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
After the introduction of the 12" rMB last year, and the multiple reports of a "MacBook Air with USB C Ports" that may or may not be referencing a MacBook Pro, it would be wise to say that there might be a larger variant of a MacBook in production.

In addition to this, as the MacBook Air is being phased out, Apple will need a consumer level 13-inch notebook to compete within the market.

On a final note, Gurman points to a late fall release for the MacBook Pro. I'm sure that if it was the only Pro launching, they could showcase it at the iPhone event. However, many and I believe that the whole Mac lineup may be in for a refresh. So we may see this rumoured MacBook-that is a larger variant debut alongside the MacBook Pro.

What do you people think this larger variant MacBook may look like, what specs will it have and would you consider it as a potential purchase?

Reactions: thor1996

cursedearth

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks for the information, however, it would be futile to wait out your purchase based on rumours and speculations. Maybe not so much as in the case of the new MBP since there are tons of articles dishing out specifics of the new MBP, but a 13"/14" rMB is pure speculation.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In addition to this, as the MacBook Air is being phased out, Apple will need a consumer level 13-inch notebook to compete within the market.
While I expect the MBA to be phased out, I've heard compelling logic at keeping the MBAs around. They're really the only laptop Apple offers at the sub 1,000 price point (other then the cMBP 13"). They're serving budget minded folks who want a small laptop. I totally wouldn't be surprised to see apple keeping them around longer.

Plus even if they did discontinued the MBA, Apple already has two 13" MBP laptops, do they really need another 13" Plus how much different would a 14" be to that of a 15"?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I think 12" still makes sense, but maybe a 14-15" in the works once the AIR is put to sleep?

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I wanted to wait for the 13" rMB, but I had an opportunity to get my work to pay for my m7 so decided to take it :)

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
So I'm back here again.

I understand that the Pro w/out the touchbar is quite light and can be an Air replacement.

Except for one thing. It doesn't have the slanted design, which is ergonomically amazing. I personally think that in that term it can't replace the Air, and so I'm still wondering if Apple will introduce a larger MacBook variant?

And if they do, will it have a 7.5W processor, will it get Touch bar and Touch ID capabilities?

Also will the MacBook 12 get Touch bar and Touch ID?

willyx

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
So I'm back here again.

I understand that the Pro w/out the touchbar is quite light and can be an Air replacement.

Except for one thing. It doesn't have the slanted design, which is ergonomically amazing. I personally think that in that term it can't replace the Air, and so I'm still wondering if Apple will introduce a larger MacBook variant?

And if they do, will it have a 7.5W processor, will it get Touch bar and Touch ID capabilities?

Also will the MacBook 12 get Touch bar and Touch ID?

May be the reason that Apple hasn't made a 13''+ Macbook is mechanical. It must be quite a challenge to design a blade shape that is as thin as the 12 inch Macbook's and holds well structurally on bigger screen sizes.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
May be the reason that Apple hasn't made a 13''+ Macbook is mechanical. It must be quite a challenge to design a blade shape that is as thin as the 12 inch Macbook's and holds well structurally on bigger screen sizes.

It wouldn't make any sense to have a 13" rMB as the pricing structure would look really confused. The weight difference between the rMB and MBP 13" is not that great and a 13" rMB would cost a lot more and probably weigh the same.
[doublepost=1477947209][/doublepost]A more interesting thought I have just had is: why dont they put the M7 in the MBP. With the bigger battery it would last significantly longer on one charge. Also with the fans for cooling it could maintain its turbo speed.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
crazy for anyone to wait for a concept invented by forum posters. what exists now is all there is... until there's something else. and this is apple, so it's anyone's guess what's down the line...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.