Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
The machine is still smaller and lighter than the 2015 15" which I have and would hardly call burdensome. I did like the compact size of the 2019 15" though so I'm hoping it will be bought back as a lower tier machine with magic keyboard. I'm hearing more and more people saying they want this sort of large screened but not so powerful/ expensive machine for office productivity type work. It seems Apple's in a listening mood so hopefully they will also deliver on this!
This describes my dad. He's getting older, eyesight isn't what it once was, and he just plain likes larger screens anyway. He also has no need for 8-core processors, 32+ GB RAM, etc. But, he will not settle for a small screen.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
The machine is still smaller and lighter than the 2015 15" which I have and would hardly call burdensome. I did like the compact size of the 2019 15" though so I'm hoping it will be bought back as a lower tier machine with magic keyboard. I'm hearing more and more people saying they want this sort of large screened but not so powerful/ expensive machine for office productivity type work. It seems Apple's in a listening mood so hopefully they will also deliver on this!
I have the 2016 15 inch which is smaller than both the 2015 and the 2019 16 inch

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Look up the LG Gram 17. It is very light and compact with a 17" 1440p display.

I'm buying the base $2400 2019 MBP 16" for $2150 as I'm upgrading from a 2011 MBP 13" and 2012 iMac 27".

This describes my dad. He's getting older, eyesight isn't what it once was, and he just plain likes larger screens anyway. He also has no need for 8-core processors, 32+ GB RAM, etc. But, he will not settle for a small screen.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Will Apple change the design for MBP 13 inch in 2020?

No one really knows. I think some of us are hoping Apple will make the same improvements to the 13" MBP and make it slightly larger and incorporate a decent dGPU. We might hear some rumors early/mid 2020 if they are working on it, as we got 16" rumors a few months before it was released.

Reactions: ZeuSGoKiL

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
Will Apple change the design for MBP 13 inch in 2020?

I wonder what people expect every some years when we talk about a new design. Somehow a laptop is a laptop and I am not sure how you can simplify the MacBook design even further, when not talking about making it smaller or slimmer. My assumption as with the iPhone is that we will see more subtle changes going forward on the outside and some beefed up internals on the outside, maybe faceid for the MacBooks, but if apple wants to go back to fingerprints on the phones anyways, why go with FaceTime on the MacBooks at all and not skip it there. My only gripe with the 16” is the missing WiFi 6 and especially the 720p FaceTime cam.

i do not think they will change that though unless WiFi 6 is part of the intel chips they will use. The FaceTime cam is an embarrassment in 2020 though in my eyes.

Reactions: Never mind

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Only thing i would have a problem with if they stick with 13" instead of going to 14" is that theres too big of a jump imo between 13 and 16 inch. 15 was the biggest I was willing to go with, i really hope they bring that size back

The difference between the current 15 and 16 really is negligible in terms of weight and footprint. Honestly, even side by side, the differences are tiny.

I don't think the weight of these machines is an issue. Assuming you are able-bodied, they're not massively heavy, its just they can be a bit unwieldy if you're working in confined spaces.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
The difference between the current 15 and 16 really is negligible in terms of weight and footprint. Honestly, even side by side, the differences are tiny.

I don't think the weight of these machines is an issue. Assuming you are able-bodied, they're not massively heavy, its just they can be a bit unwieldy if you're working in confined spaces.
Its not the weight thats the problem. My 15 inch is light but its just uncomfortable to use outside of a desk

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Its not the weight thats the problem. My 15 inch is light but its just uncomfortable to use outside of a desk
I agree. 16" or 15" is not for everyone. It's still mobile enough for me, but I would consider something else if I were a frequent flyer. 13" MBP is perfect balance in performance and mobility for me.

Hopefully, Apple will introduced a successor to 13" with scissor keyboard and not increase the weight of 13" by doing so. We will probably see 6 core CPU in that form factor as well.

zwl88

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
am hoping for a March refresh ...

Macbook air 13” - 10th gen Intel duo processors, 8gb, 128gb base with quad/16gb/256gb options

Macbook pro 14” - 10th gen Intel quad processors, 8gb, 256gb base with up to 32gb/2tb options

MacBook Pro 16” - 10th gen Intel processors, all other specs as per current options

all with updated Keyboards, wifi, battery improvements (due to the new chips)

prices for base models to remain

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
Germany

Macbook air 13” - 10th gen Intel duo processors, 8gb, 128gb base with quad/16gb/256gb options

Macbook pro 14” - 10th gen Intel quad processors, 8gb, 256gb base with up to 32gb/2tb options

MacBook Pro 16” - 10th gen Intel processors, all other specs as per current options

Plus the improved speakers for the MacBook Pro 14".

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
EDIT: just re-read your post again - I see you are calling 13" "MacBook Air" - in that case, I fully agree with your prediction! :)

---
Releasing both 13" and 14" form factors doesn't make a lot of sense, as it would mean making two different unibody enclosures/screens for what basically is the same laptop. Apple is all about economies of scale in their hardware manufacturing, they won't do this.

They already have an 13.3" Air to cover this form factor / pricepoint.

I predict (hope) that the "smaller" MPB maintains the same physical footprint as the existing 13.3, but with reduced besels / increased display size. They may be able to get it close enough to call it "14-inch", but it will be 13.8" or thereabouts.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
If Apple was really into economies of scale, then all their iPads would look the same. There is a clear distinction between the iPad and iPad Pros. And a price to match.

I don't think Apple is afraid to have different form factors as long as people will pay for it. They needed to make a clear distinction between the Macbook Air and the Pro lines. So they made a 16" pro that creatives were asking for. I think they will do the same with a 14" model. Pro = more $$$ for Apple. This is what Apple really cares about the most.

Reactions: john905r

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
If Apple was really into economies of scale, then all their iPads would look the same. There is a clear distinction between the iPad and iPad Pros. And a price to match.

I don't think Apple is afraid to have different form factors as long as people will pay for it. They needed to make a clear distinction between the Macbook Air and the Pro lines. So they made a 16" pro that creatives were asking for. I think they will do the same with a 14" model. Pro = more $$$ for Apple. This is what Apple really cares about the most.

Indeed money talks .. the rest walks
I dont think they will be drastic changes of design .. unlike with the late Steve Jobs he is always bold and keep on innovating and brings changes to the table with a big bang ...

Then again those are the days ..

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It's funny there's no real rumors (other than the keyboard) on the 13-inch to the degree there was about the 16-inch last year.
I think that is the rumour - it's going to stay a 13"er and get the new keyboard (and maybe a 32GB RAM option). Just that everyone's currently ignoring this and chasing after the 14" which isn't supported by any rumours, and has already had cold water poured on it by Phil Schiller himself.

Reactions: DHagan4755

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
I think that is the rumour - it's going to stay a 13"er and get the new keyboard (and maybe a 32GB RAM option). Just that everyone's currently ignoring this and chasing after the 14" which isn't supported by any rumours, and has already had cold water poured on it by Phil Schiller himself.

The problem with that argument is that they can't JUST change the keyboard, since they aren't exactly the same size. So there are probably going to be some other internal changes like the improved cooling system and the improved speakers. I'm not sure about the screen, but I'm sure they'll include all other improvements of the 16", just to keep both sizes "Pro". And honestly, if you put a 15" Pro right next to a 16" Pro, you can barely see the difference. Put them a few feet apart, you'll see no difference in size, so I won't be dissapointed if the 13" stays at that size.

Reactions: ascender

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The problem with that argument is that they can't JUST change the keyboard, since they aren't exactly the same size. So there are probably going to be some other internal changes like the improved cooling system and the improved speakers. I'm not sure about the screen, but I'm sure they'll include all other improvements of the 16", just to keep both sizes "Pro". And honestly, if you put a 15" Pro right next to a 16" Pro, you can barely see the difference. Put them a few feet apart, you'll see no difference in size, so I won't be dissapointed if the 13" stays at that size.
I don't see the problem - they won't just add the keyboard to the existing machine, they will take the chance to redesign it subtly as well I expect (maybe just a little bit more adventurous than the 16", nothing groundbreaking) - the point is it's going to stay as a 13" form factor.

Thinking through the logic, a 14" makes little sense. What is gained from making a bigger machine and sacrificing some potability? In the case of the 16" they wanted more room for cooling, but the 13" isn't affected by thermals in the same way the 15" was, it runs perfectly cool as it is. So maybe extra thermal headroom so you can add more powerful components to bring it closer in performance to the 16"? Well then you run into the same issue the 15" had as a 14" machine would of course be smaller still. So that's out, leaving just one further reason - the larger display size itself. It might be worth making bit of a trade off to make a larger 14" machine, but what would be even better is retaining the 13" form factor and adding back the 15" as another size option for this class of machine (15/28W, iGPU) - which lines up with the note from Kuo about what to expect in 2020.

Reactions: ascender

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
I don't know... having a 13", 15" and 16" MacBook Pro would be like having an 11", 12.9" and 13.5" iPad Pro. There's just not enough difference between the bigger two to justify two different models.

Reactions: StoneyG

sstativa

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
I really hope that Apple introduces 15~16'' MacBook Air. The key factor for me is the size of the screen (16'' MBP is too hot for my laps).

Personally, I would prefer these product lines:
  • low performance MBA: 13'' + 15''
  • high performance MBP: 14'' + 16''
In theory, if low and high-performance devices shared the physical dimensions Apple could reuse the same parts in different models (ex. screen panels).

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The butterfly keyboards will be replaced in the rest of the lineup, presumably with the 13" MBP first. Given the age of the MBP now, it would make sense that they update the 13" in some ways to improve on it. If they need to make adjustments to the case to accommodate the new keyboard, I'm presuming they would take the opportunity to roll out what improvements they can at the same time - could they have a version of the new speaker & mic array to fit the smaller form factor? Improved thermals? If they could shrink the bezels, why wouldn't they put a slightly larger screen in it?

As for the Air, it does feel like there's a missed opportunity there to have a 15" Air for people who just want a bigger screen without the power and weight of a 16" MBP.

Reactions: pshufd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.