Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Because this forum doesn’t feel the same without a thread like this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/waiting-for-mac-pro-7-1-a1991-no-more.1975126/

I think it is reasonably sure that the 7,1 is the last Intel powered MP, so maybe we can argue over how powerful an Apple CPU at 150W will be, what parts of the 7,1 we want to keep or change etc.

How will Apple approach the GPU situation?
Are we still gonna need user-accessible PCIe slots, and for what?
Could the next one be a smaller form factor or will they stick with the same design?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I suspect there will still be PCIe support for various cards including GPUs, along with those MPX modules. However, I think the earliest we will see Mac Pro 8,1 is 2022.

Meanwhile, I'm still playing with a Mac Pro 2,1 here. :cool:

Reactions: martyjmclean

hifimac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
I can't believe they put that much R&D into a new case and cooling without thinking about what AS chip will fit in there, and I don't see MPX being a one and done. Imagine what a beast that chip might be.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I suspect that the Mac Pro 2019 intel CPU's will be around for quite sometime....

Remember that Apple plans way ahead, so Mac Pro will probably not get a Apple Silicone chip for awhile..some years.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
They said the transition will take 2 years. I would expect the MacPro to be the last model to be updated, so there is likely going to be a substantial wait.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
They said the transition will take 2 years. I would expect the MacPro to be the last model to be updated, so there is likely going to be a substantial wait.
Yep, and the Mac Pro is likely to be amongst the last, if not the last. 2022 it is!

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
It's anyone's guess what Apple will do, but it seems logical they would keep the same form factor, such as PowerMac G5 to the first Mac Pro. Apple says Macs with their chips will have an Apple GPU, I imagine as part of the SoC, but I would expect the Apple Silicon Mac Pro to still have MPX slots.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
It's anyone's guess what Apple will do, but it seems logical they would keep the same form factor, such as PowerMac G5 to the first Mac Pro. Apple says Macs with their chips will have an Apple GPU, I imagine as part of the SoC, but I would expect the Apple Silicon Mac Pro to still have MPX slots.
So it is possible that the only difference between 7,1 and 8,1 is motherboard and cpu upon first release...? Gpu update coming later?

Reactions: MisterAndrew

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I'm so happy to have the 2019 Mac Pro. I really needed it to finish a computation that required a crazy amount of RAM. (I'm a scientist.)

Reactions: OkiRun

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
I assume 8,1 might be having similar chassis like 7,1 with some minor external appearance, such as i/o ports configuration, and probably have a different internal layout, but probably still retain MPX module.

Even for today's common people, most of them can't distinguish between G5 and cMP, I bet 8,1 and 7,1 would be same like that.

DrMickeyLauer

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
Neu-Isenburg, Germany
For my work as a software developer, I'm using a MacPro6,1 w/ 64GB RAM. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 7,1 last year, but had to postpone that for several reasons.

I just received my M1-MBP and did a completely unscientific benchmark, compiling one of my Xcode-projects which is a colorful blend of C, C++, Objective-C(++), and Swift Code. The MacPro compiles that in 70 seconds, while the M1-powered machine does that in 30 seconds. Granted, the 6,1's system design is 7 years old, but still I had expected (wished) it to last better.

I'm using a good-old-RAM-disk to speed up certain tasks, so I can't move to a device with 16GB of RAM though – that's why I'm really looking forward to the first M1-powered incarnation of the MacPro. I expect it to see the light of day in 2022, but at the same time hope that it's a smaller form factor than the 7,1. I love my small trashcan.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I like my 6,1s too. I wouldn't replace them with an M1 Mac. The only thing those really have going for them is single core CPU performance. Multicore is almost as good on the 6,1 and graphics are still better. Plus I'm not buying a machine that has soldered storage. I'm also interested in the new Mac Pro coming, but I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

Reactions: loby and OkiRun

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
If the "8,1" is an Apple Silicon Mac, it's very likely to be a throwback to the 6,1 - meant to be cool and silent, very powerful out of the box, in a compact chassis but with limited after-purchase expandability. I'd expect them to retain the milled-aluminum design derived from the 7,1 to convey continuity with the current Pro, but that will be about all it has in common. I'd be very surprised if we see third-party GPUs or PCIe or MPX slots in Apple Silicon Macs for a long time if ever. I think the 7,1 stays around for people who need those.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
If the "8,1" is an Apple Silicon Mac, it's very likely to be a throwback to the 6,1 - meant to be cool and silent, very powerful out of the box, in a compact chassis but with limited after-purchase expandability. I'd expect them to retain the milled-aluminum design derived from the 7,1 to convey continuity with the current Pro, but that will be about all it has in common. I'd be very surprised if we see third-party GPUs or PCIe or MPX slots in Apple Silicon Macs for a long time if ever. I think the 7,1 stays around for people who need those.

Hoping for the 6,1 form factor. Would fulfill and complete the reason it was created and not be limited to the "thermal corner" issue.

Add USB-C instead of thunderbolt 2, update a few of the ports..
Fan is large and quit...
Would be nice...

Reactions: DrMickeyLauer

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I wouldn't be surprised if the 8,1 does not have user-upgradeable RAM, but I do expect upgradeable storage.

Seeing how tightly integrated RAM is on the M1 Macs and what advantages it yields, it wouldn't make sense to handicap memory performance on the flagship Mac, just for the sake of upgradeability.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
I wouldn't be surprised if the 8,1 does not have user-upgradeable RAM, but I do expect upgradeable storage.

Seeing how tightly integrated RAM is on the M1 Macs and what advantages it yields, it wouldn't make sense to handicap memory performance on the flagship Mac, just for the sake of upgradeability.
I agree that we will likely see something like that for RAM on the 8,1. However I would hope for an "expansion" option beyond what the unified memory offers, perhaps at a performance loss for the second tier of expanded RAM.

Reactions: zephonic

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Surely could be hybridised? 32 or 64 of the high performance integrated RAM or maybe more, plus conventional RAM with massive capacity for the tasks that need it.
It’s possible. We’ll have to see what they come up with. All these approaches get complicated really quickly and can easily result in the performance falling back to earth. It might even be easier for them to put the SOC on a card and have you replace the whole thing (CPU along with the memory) together.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This thread may be long (2 years) for the mac pro will be the last mac to be updated..

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
It is probably mythical....just a dream.
I have a hard time believing that Apple will come out with a mini-7,1 Intel in 2022. Seems to me it will be an AS model. Let's hope the Adobe CC techs have access to the AS 8,1 already. I'm looking forward to replacing a Late 2015 iMac with the 8,1.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I suspect that the Mac Pro 2019 intel CPU's will be around for quite sometime....

Remember that Apple plans way ahead, so Mac Pro will probably not get a Apple Silicone chip for awhile..some years.
What if the next Mac Pro still had a Xeon chip just like the 7,1, but also had something like an M1? That would be a dream machine for developers.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
What if the next Mac Pro still had a Xeon chip just like the 7,1, but also had something like an M1? That would be a dream machine for developers.
Humm...that would be interesting, but what would be the advantage? The M silicone chips will probably be more powerful soon than Intel chips or equal, so there would be no need to put two different architecture chips in the unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.