Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Can you do what Apple shows Siri could do in this video (use Siri to search your photos/videos)?

I have to use that mirrored link as they removed their official video from YouTube.
I use SIRI for many things on Apple Watch primarily, but also use it on appleTV, and Mac and sometimes on iPhone and iPad.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Excuse me??????? Face ID, Dynamic Island, improvements to IOS among many things.

Gonna buy you my first iPhone in 2012 and give you a Time Machine to go back to 2012. You will then greatly appreciate modern iPhones.
Face ID is a “great innovation”? It’s a small convenience that I appreciate but nothing mind blowing.

Dynamic Island? Seriously? 1. All they did was make some details to hide the camera and 2. I find it incredibly annoying and wish there was a way to turn it off.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Face ID is a “great innovation”? It’s a small convenience that I appreciate but nothing mind blowing.

Dynamic Island? Seriously? 1. All they did was make some details to hide the camera and 2. I find it incredibly annoying and wish there was a way to turn it off.
Really???? I love Dynamic Island.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003

So wait, we have to identify improvements only YOU like?

There's not a whole lot of point in playing that particular game.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
So wait, we have to identify improvements only YOU like?

There's not a whole lot of point in playing that particular game.

Not at all.

My point is the following, which I believe to be objective:

From 1997 - 2015 Apple had significant innovation and new products entering the market. Every Macworld and WWDC was filling with excitement and curiosity to see what Apple would do next.

That pattern has not just slowed, but all but halted as the Apple of 2015 - 2024 has been more of minor, iterative upgrades to largely existing products.

The last exciting product was the Apple Watch, which was as nearly 10 years ago.

Apple has, quite obviously, changed goals from great products to great profits and the latter will run its course as more and more customers are frustrated and disappointed.

Apple’s stock price reflects this as being increasingly volatile and currently stuck at 2021 pricing.

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Not at all.

From 1997 - 2015 Apple had significant innovation and new products entering the market. Every Macworld and WWDC was filling with excitement and curiosity to see what Apple would do next.

That pattern has not just slowed, but all but hailed as the Apple of 2015 - 2024 has been more of minor, iterative upgrades to largely existing products.

The last exciting product was the Apple Watch, which was as nearly 10 years ago.

Apple has, quite obviously, changed goals from great products to great profits and the latter will run its course as more and more customers are frustrated and disappointed.

Apple’s stock price reflects this as being increasingly volatile and currently stuck at 2021 pricing.
I suggest to you that your proposition is entirely subjective. You are selectring the criteria, establishing the basis for judgement, and then asserting your own judgements in order to make your specific points.

This gives you - and only you in this criteria - the opportunity to, for example, determine what is and what isn't a 'significant innovation', and how to judge when they happen and when they don't.

Yet, for example, the removal of Ive and his form-over-function motif doesn't matter, nor the development of the M-series Apple Silicon processors which have significantly shifted the power/performance paradigms in the industry as a whole. Nor does it matter that almost everyone who has tried an AVP has said it's a game changer. But the Apple Watch, a piece of frippery and junk, which was neither a first, nor even arguably as good as the competition at the time, was an 'exciting product'?

It may be that your observations on Apple are validf and correct, but your argument in support of them don't seem particularly so. Nor are your observations on the 'frustration and disappointment' of customers any more valid than anyone else who has no hard facts and no insider knowledge.

In the time period you mention, Apple produced a number of products which were amongst the least well received and the least reliable of any they have ever made. I suppose however that this doesn't count.

MënaC

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
Adding reminders and starting timers, I also can use Siri reliably to log my blood pressure in the health app.
Timer is about it for me. I gave up on Siri finding anything - I knew it was time to stop when in absolute frustration I started yelling at “her” - that is absolutely the worst and a very wrong way to treat anyone or thing with dementia. She does still do well though on her knock-knock jokes - kids love it!

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Not at all.

That pattern has not just slowed, but all but hailed as the Apple of 2015 - 2024 has been more of minor, iterative upgrades to largely existing products.

I don't see how you can possibly say this when Apple silicon completely changed what was possible for laptops. The combination of power, efficiency, and resulting battery life has not yet been matched by any competitor.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I suggest to you that your proposition is entirely subjective. You are selectring the criteria, establishing the basis for judgement, and then asserting your own judgements in order to make your specific points.

This gives you - and only you in this criteria - the opportunity to, for example, determine what is and what isn't a 'significant innovation', and how to judge when they happen and when they don't.

Yet, for example, the removal of Ive and his form-over-function motif doesn't matter, nor the development of the M-series Apple Silicon processors which have significantly shifted the power/performance paradigms in the industry as a whole. Nor does it matter that almost everyone who has tried an AVP has said it's a game changer. But the Apple Watch, a piece of frippery and junk, which was neither a first, nor even arguably as good as the competition at the time, was an 'exciting product'?

It may be that your observations on Apple are validf and correct, but your argument in support of them don't seem particularly so. Nor are your observations on the 'frustration and disappointment' of customers any more valid than anyone else who has no hard facts and no insider knowledge.

In the time period you mention, Apple produced a number of products which were amongst the least well received and the least reliable of any they have ever made. I suppose however that this doesn't count.

By sales numbers and market share the Apple Watch was a success though not nearly on the same level as the iPhone. The AVP has had significant returns and the reviews have been mixed. While this is an iteration 1 product, it is simple incomparable to any other major product reveal.

I don't see how you can possibly say this when Apple silicon completely changed what was possible for laptops. The combination of power, efficiency, and resulting battery life has not yet been matched by any competitor.

Apple Silicon is a game changer but it also suffers many significant drawbacks such as with RAM and video cards. It is more efficient but it has limitations.

You can argue on the details but the amount of product releases, media attention and, most importantly, stock price are objectively VERY different.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
By sales numbers and market share the Apple Watch was a success though not nearly on the same level as the iPhone. The AVP has had significant returns and the reviews have been mixed. While this is an iteration 1 product, it is simple incomparable to any other major product reveal.

Apple Silicon is a game changer but it also suffers many significant drawbacks such as with RAM and video cards. It is more efficient but it has limitations.

You can argue on the details but the amount of product releases, media attention and, most importantly, stock price are objectively VERY different.
This is a very pick and choose kind of response though. Example: video cards. Unless you were in the tiny minority of Mac Pro users (I guess that you are one given the name?), when have you ever had a significant choice of video cards on a Mac? This isn't exactly a change of pace for the vast majority of Mac users.

When it comes to RAM, we now have options to pipe more RAM to a GPU than any consumer laptop out there. That's significant (for a minority of people) in that it has allowed for mobile work that was literally impossible on a laptop before. So there's benefits to UMA along with the drawbacks on the highest end.

Reactions: Supermallet

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
You can argue on the details....
I can, yes, but I'm not going to bother. As long as you pick the definitions, you completely bias the result to whatever point you wish to make. That isn't the basis for a discussion, it's the basis upon which you can prove yourself right by careful selection of criteria.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Something is rotten in the city of Cupertino.

As Apple is planning to unveil this huge new push into AI, Siri in the present is getting rapidly worse.

You could use voice to call people even prior to Siri.

I can't rely on Siri to call people in my contacts now. It will pick random contacts to call that sound nothing like the name I said, and it's completely inconsistent. That's new. It maybe started in the last few months.

I can no longer search for photos and videos I've taken.

I used to be able to say, "Show me videos I took in January 2024." It would actually show me all the videos from January 2024—in fact on the iPhone it seemed like using Siri was the only way to accomplish this.

It now responds that there is no app called Videos and would I like to search the App Store for it.

If I try altering the words a bit it will search the Web for videos.

The best it will do is open the Photos app with just the right wording, but it won't actually ever search, which it could before.

If I search manually by typing January 2024 in the Photos app, it show some but definitely not all photos from January 2024 but also random ones from other Januaries. I remember having that problem before which is why I used Siri for it.

It's just gotten fundamentally broken.

They should not be expecting customers who paid a premium to wait months for a do-over, when it's getting worse all the time.

This is the Apple Support video from 2020 showing you could use Siri to search for specific Photos content by date:

The original video was here but Web Archive didn't archive the actual video (the one above is the only working version I can find):

https:// web .archive .org/web/20200623180515/https://www .youtube .com /watch ? v = 9jMwXGFWxTg

(added spaces because macrumors keeps trying to display the video--the video is not archived there, but you can see the closed captioning and scrub the video to see it and also to see that this was a legit apple support video that has since been taken down)

According to Apple engineering, it is expected that searching Siri for Photos content will not work. There apparently is no planned fix.

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253119725?sortBy=best "Response from engineering a few minutes ago (10/9/21 1:30pm Pacific): "This functionality (searching your photos using Siri) was removed September 20"

I don't get how they can be so incompetent but also how tech writers covering Apple don't ever mention this stuff.

It’s funny you think iOS 18 is going to be game changing AI. Look at meta today. Down big because they’re going to invest billions in AI. The results won’t be immediate or anytime soon. It takes time. Apple just started talking AI.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It’s funny you think iOS 18 is going to be game changing AI. Look at meta today. Down big because they’re going to invest billions in AI. The results won’t be immediate or anytime soon. It takes time. Apple just started talking AI.
They just started *talking* about it, but very clearly have been working in the field for years now. That's one of the things that seems to irritate tech journalists about Apple, they don't reveal things until they are ready to. Apple has been the top buyer of AI firms every year for almost a decade, have whitepapers going out on what clearly has been years of work, etc. Whatever they're finally ready to talk about at WWDC has been years in the making.

I also very much think that a device-first posture to AI is far and away better for us all than relying on servers. Small task-oriented on-device AI seems to me to be a better way forward in my opinion.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014

“Apple silicon is a game changer”, so you agree then that there is at least one huge innovation from Apple during this period.

Everything after the “but” is irrelevant because they’re not what I was talking about, and I never claimed that Apple silicon was perfect in every way.

Reactions: bousozoku

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Maybe this is all a long-term ploy to have Steve drill to the center of the Earth?
Okay I laughed pretty hard, but in all seriousness we'd be better off capturing that rotation and converting it into free energy!

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
He wrote “Other than Apple Silicon” in his initial post.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Because that's the way they work. They introduce something and then ignore it until a competitor makes them address it. AI isn't new. It's statistical analysis. It's just gotten much more advanced, while Apple has regressed.

I don't want game changing. Just semi-functional, which Siri was. It's gotten worse at the same time others have forged new ground. I'd be happy if they just got Siri back to where it was a couple of years ago. With the pressure on them from the new LLMs they'll at least hopefully get back to that.

I'm not talking about game-changing. Talking about not being way worse than IVR systems from the 1990s for the most basic of commands.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Not at all.

That pattern has not just slowed, but all but halted as the Apple of 2015 - 2024 has been more of minor, iterative upgrades to largely existing products.

The slow down is everywhere, not just at Apple.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Because that's the way they work. They introduce something and then ignore it until a competitor makes them address it. AI isn't new. It's statistical analysis. It's just gotten much more advanced, while Apple has regressed.

I don't want game changing. Just semi-functional, which Siri was. It's gotten worse at the same time others have forged new ground. I'd be happy if they just got Siri back to where it was a couple of years ago. With the pressure on them from the new LLMs they'll at least hopefully get back to that.

I'm not talking about game-changing. Talking about not being way worse than IVR systems from the 1990s for the most basic of commands.
I would like Siri to do at least as much as Google Assistant can do.

I did a quick test between the two in 2018, and found that Siri could only complete the simple tasks. Google Assistant wasn't perfect but it was able to handle more complex tasks.

I could use PlainTalk in 1998 on my Mac clone to open folders, launch applications, and more. Siri still can do that but I'm always amazed that it can't do things we need in a on-device search.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I do enjoy making calls in the car using Siri. Whenever I try to call my wife it decides to make an international call to God knows who.

Sounds like a useful feature: "Hey Siri, cover my tracks."

Later: "I don't even know that woman, I swear! I didn't call her, Siri did!"

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Yeah siri sucks. I only very rarely use it to ask for weather or to send a message on my watch if I'm driving. Everything else I would rather do myself.

Hopefully Apple can bring Siri up to somewhere near ChatGPT/Copilot
Why ? They aren’t even good Ai tools honestly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.