Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
UK
That all sounds great. It's nice to know I wasn't the only one with the thoughts on the sliders. And the developer is active and responding to suggestions.

Only thing is, the 2.01 iPhone update broke my wi-fi :(

talazem

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
airport extreme wake over internet

Hi all,

Has anyone gotten this to work over the internet with an Airport Extreme n? It's working wonderfully over LAN, waking up my MacMini that's on the LAN through the Airport, but I can't get it to work over the internet.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

gambcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
It seems as though the AEBS will not forward packets from the internet to the LAN broadcast address (x.x.x.255)
and will also not allow you to setup a static ARP mapping. I have read that if you setup a port-forwarding rule
to forward your chosen UDP port number to your target host's IP address that it will work for a short while,
but soon the ARP entry for your host in the router's ARP cache expires and it will not work after that.
Some people say that it works for longer if you setup your host with a static DHCP address in the AEBS.

I found some threads involving AEBS and wake-over-Internet:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/537194/
http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2751524,older
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050118192723153

Unfortunately the AEBS doesn't support wake-over-Internet very well, it is the same story with a lot of routers.
This is why I am trying to compile a list of routers that people have had success with. For anyone else reading
this thread, there is a form on my website where you can report a router that you have got working with
wake-over-internet: http://www.perculasoft.com/sleepover/report_router.php

When I get a list going I will put them up on my site for reference.

Sorry I don't have better news for you talazem, it is not a limitation of SleepOver, the app *is* sending the
magic packet but the AEBS just won't forward it to your machine in any reliable way.

gambcl

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I am planning to add a text field for the hostname, and then when it comes time
to send the magic packet, if a hostname has been specified it will do a lookup
and use that, otherwise if no hostname is given it will use the specified IP
address as it does now.

I am also planning to hide the port number for LAN wakes as it is not required,
and hide the subnet mask for internet wakes, because hostname/IP should be enough.
Sounds good. Just be sure to leave the port number configurable for "Internet", as I do not want to open port 9 on my router for certain reasons.

Another thing that could possibly be useful is "single-tap waking", i.e. somehow allowing to trigger the wake directly from the list of hosts on the start page, saving one tap. :) I'm not sure if there is a nice, clean way to do it using Cocoa widgets though; perhaps by having one or two buttons directly underneath the hostname?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just a quick report how I got WOL across the Internet to work with my WRT54GL router running the latest Tomato firmware:

1) Pick an unused IP address for your LAN (I used 192.168.1.250)
2) Set up a port forward form a port of your choice to this address
3) Add a static ARP entry that maps this address to a broadcast address by adding the following line e.g. under Administration/Scripts/Firewall:

ip neighbor add 192.168.1.250 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev br0 nud permanent

Works like a charm for me. :D

gambcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Hi Rigby,

Don't worry the port number will still be configurable for Internet waking.

At the moment I am quite liking the "clean" appearance of the main screen,
plus having a two-tap-wake will give you some exercise, we don't want you getting
too "fat and lazy" do we? But seriously, if I find a nice way of doing it I will
think about it for a future release.

gambcl

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
UK
I must admit that I like the 2 tap method.

What I need now is a way to control everything in my home from the iPhone - Wake Girlfriend on LAN? Make Bacon-butties-on-Lan ? :D

gambcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Hi folks,

The new version of SleepOver just hit the AppStore, so hopefully this will make it quicker to enter host details and also adds support for hostnames.

I have also added the page about reported routers (only 4 so far) to the website.

Love to hear any feedback,

gambcl

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just updated. The DNS lookup and new entry methods are welcome improvements and work just fine. However, some details could still use streamlining:

- It should be possible to edit hosts after the fact (not just delete them). E.g. I mistyped one digit of the MAC address and had to reenter the whole thing instead of just fixing the MAC. Or is this already possible and I missed it?
- The MAC input is much easier now. However, it would be good if I didn't have to delete all the "00" when entering a new MAC (i.e. when selecting a number field, it should blank the entry automatically so I can start typing the number directly). Also, it would be great to have a hex keypad if that is possible.
- Similarly, it would be nice to have the same keyboard that Safari uses when entring host names (so you get the "." and toplevel domains without having to switch).
- Right now you can "save" a new host without even entering a MAC address. Of course it does not work then, which might be confusing for less experienced users. Perhaps it would be good to pop up a warning if the user tries to save a host without having made all necessary inputs.

Also, feel free to add my router report on the WRT54GL a few posts up to your web page if you like.

gambcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Hi Rigby,

Thanks for the great feedback, I find it very useful.

You have always been able to edit the host details. On the main screen, tap the blue arrow which takes you to the host information screen. Then tap the Edit button (top-right), then you can just tap whatever field you want to edit.
When you have finished editing tap the Done button. This follows the same UI principles as Apple's apps.

About clearing the MAC fields, I will try this out and if I like it then it will go in the next update.

I did originally want to do a custom hex keyboard, but it turns out that it is not possible to do custom keyboards in the current SDK. I could just knock up some buttons that look like an original keyboard but the problem is integrating them properly with the text fields. I am watching to see what Apple does in this area because a lot of developers are asking for the same thing.

I really meant to use the Safari keyboard for editing hostnames and must have simply forgotten. I've fixed it for the next release.

I will add your router to the site as well, thanks.

BTW, did the update keep your data intact? Some people seem to get their data wiped when updating applications or syncing with iTunes.

Thanks,

gambcl

PS: Anyone out there with a network card that supports the SecureOn passwords for wake-on-LAN? I would like to add this in a future update but I have never actually seen a machine that uses it or ever had a request for it, but it would complete the wake-on-lan feature set.

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
Gambcl,
I updated and it kept my data intact, but the data was not usable. You could go in and look at it, see everything was configured as it was with the previous update, but when I tried to send a packet I got an alert-box telling me to define at least one network (or something to that effect). I had to recreate my entries from scratch and delete the old ones for it to work again.

As for the suggestions- I absolutely agree with them. When typing an IP address or MAC address the first box should automatically have focus, and then as you type it will clear the previous contents. It should also move to the next box automatically- when I type 192 I should be able to hit "." or return and have focus move to the next box so I can keep typing the next segment. ":" or return key would have the same effect in the MAC entry.

For MAC addresses, each box you enter defaults to the alphabet keyboard. It should default to the numeric keyboard to streamline the entry process, as you will likely enter more 0-9 than A-F characters (at least I did). Obviously a custom "keyboard" would make this really nice, but once you set it up you don't really need to go back and mess with the MAC address again (unless you change yours regularly out of paranoia- I change the MAC of my laptop's network adaptors maybe once or twice a year).

gambcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Hi CommanderData,

Sorry you had to re-enter your data, I'll look into that.

I am preparing a new update this weekend which should include a lot of the input suggestions, such as focus, clearing fields, using URL keyboard for hostnames, etc.

The MAC address is a tricky one. The SDK right now does not allow for custom keyboards, which is what I really want. So I am left with either a text keyboard or sliders. I will look into bringing up the keyboard in the number view by default but last time I looked there was no way to do even that. I am watching this area of the SDK closely though, so as soon as someone discovers how to do it, or Apple publish an API to allow it, I will be right there!

As I said, I hope to get the next update sent to Apple this weekend, so it should go live as soon as they have checked it (takes about a week).

Thanks for your feedback,

gambcl

Warped1

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
Thanks gambcl!!!!! I was just thinking yesterday to start checking for the update :cool:

The hostname addition is perfect and now the app is complete for me. I apped disconnected from itunes (thru phone store app) and lost my data but didn't mind re-entering it with the new interface. I agree on blanking the 00s.

the editing isnt obvious so I understand the user above not knowing. When you click edit and have the delete options open, you should put the blue arrow there also instead of the square thingy.

My only real complaint is how if you don't open safari first, it will not establish a connection with the phone network. If you close, connect in safari and come back it's fine. I can live with it if nothing can be done.

Thanks again for your work. I hope you make some $$.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
the editing isnt obvious so I understand the user above not knowing. When you click edit and have the delete options open, you should put the blue arrow there also instead of the square thingy.
I actually tried the blue arrow thingy, but must have missed the button when tapping, so I thought it was supposed to take me to the wake dialog. I think it is coherent with the iPhone user interface guidelines though, but maybe your proposal would be even better?
Thanks again for your work. I hope you make some $$.
Seconded. :D It is a useful little utility and certainly deserves it a lot more than all the crappy flashlights and tip calculators in the app store ...

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
UK
Re: Editing existing entries - I missed this at first too!

My problem at the moment is that the App thinks it's up to date - but it's not. I'm still running 1.0.0! I guess I'm going to have to delete and re-install? I'll wait for the new version first though I think.

This is definatley the most usefull App I have- I use it several times a day I reckon. As I use it to wake my PC from off, it means I don't have to sit and wait for Windows to boot - I can start up while I'm in another room :D

gambcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Hi Jowl,

The App itself plays no part in the updating, so it sounds like Apple's dodgy update code.
I've heard so many complaints from other app developers about updating. Some are almost scared
to release updates because sometimes the phone or iTunes wipes the app data for no reason,
when it is supposed to be left intact during an update. Also iTunes doesn't seem to be able to
count the number of updates available properly, they definitely have some work to do in this area.

I'm hoping the September iPhone update will fix a lot of these problems.

Anyway, I sent SleepOver 1.1.1 to Apple 2 days ago, so just waiting for it to go live now.
On past performance it seems to take Apple 6-11 days to put app updates out, so I expect to
see it next week sometime.

This release fixes my own little update bug (sorry folks), so I would wait for 1.1.1 if you can,
but if you can't you can just delete and re-enter you hosts to make them work in 1.1.0.

Also the IP/MAC fields now auto-clear when you tap them so you don't have to position the cursor
and delete characters, you just tap and type. The keyboard used for hostnames has been changed to
the URL keyboard now (same as Safari uses) which is also faster to use.

There is now a system preference so you can choose what confirmation you want that a packet was sent:
sound, message, none

And you can now tap a button to save the result of a hostname lookup into the IP address field.

Next I'm looking at the issue of forcing the EDGE/3G data connection up when SleepOver starts so that you
don't have to start Safari first :) if I get something worthwhile it will be in the next update.

Happy waking,

gambcl

Warped1

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
Hi Jowl,

Next I'm looking at the issue of forcing the EDGE/3G data connection up when SleepOver starts so that you
don't have to start Safari first :) if I get something worthwhile it will be in the next update.

gambcl

Sweet!

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
UK
There lots of things I like about this App but developer support/response is right up the top!

Will wait for the update, re-installing if necessary. I have had trouble with iTunes giving me the wrong number of App updates.

Sleepover is just better and better.

Thanks gambcl

gambcl

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Looks like SleepOver 1.1.1 is now live in the App Store. I hope everyone's updating goes smoothly ;-)

gambcl

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Update works fine for me. My hosts from the previous version are still there and work. MAC entry is much better now.

The wooosh startled me a bit though. :eek: :eek:

bakuna

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I followed this thread and see that some people managed to get SleepOver to
work over internet . LAN over internet would be particularily useful to my needs but i can't get it to work with my NETGEAR WGR614v9 router, believe me i read everything , tried everything . it worked only once though . i gave up now and willing to get new router which may work for waking my Mac Pro from sleep from remote location . i see some of you guys done it with success. can you suggest which router i should go for to wake MacPro?

P.S i've been over to SleepOver site and seen some routers that work ok but your comments would be a bonus .

thx

bakuna

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
i have sorted it out . with patient help of Mr Gamle of SleepOver app . apparently not all routers allow you to wake over internet . Linksus WRG160N
with correct configuration of dd-wrt firmware did it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.