Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoco benn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
london
Hi my powerbook will not wake up!
i have tried with power cord in and out (green light).
if i lift the screen, it just seems to be in permanent sleep mode.
i have tried holding power button.
tried pressing buttons. removing battery and putting back in. is there anything anyone can recommend?
it was left at home for 3 days and the house was pretty cold when i got in - would the low temperature affect the mac?
i really need to get some stuff of the mac now!
pls help:confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is the sleep light still on? Sure the screen's not off? Press F2 for a while maybe. Does it make any noises? :)

Are you saying you took the battery out when it was unplugged from the wall (hard shut down) and it still didn't restart? I wonder if you could try starting from the OSX disks by putting them in and holding C?

neoco benn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
london
cheers mad

yeah the sleep light is still on. it does that pulsating thing on the release catch.

no it makes no noise when i open the lid (i cannot hear the HD waking up).
also, i have tried the screen brightness :rolleyes:

yeah i tried taking out the battery whilst it was unplugeed from the wall and it remains asleep (with pulsating light).

i cannot restart from OSX disks as the machine is asleep and does not accept cd in slot etc.

i am using (or trying to use) a G4 titanium powerbook on 10.4.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd take the battery out, unplug it from the wall, and let it shut itself down before trying to reboot normally (you've probably done this already). Failing that, I'd chuck those OSX disks in and try to start from them by holding C, to repair the disk (from Disk utility on the disks). :)

neoco benn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
london
mad jew said:
Failing that, I'd chuck those OSX disks in and try to start from them by holding C, to repair the disk (from Disk utility on the disks). :)

but how do i do that if it will not wake up? nor accept cds?:confused:

neoco benn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
london
mad jew said:
Shut it down. It can't stay sleeping forever.

Have you tried a handsome prince? Their kisses can be quite rewarding apparently...

but how do i do this if it will not respond to me pressing or holding the power button?
do i just unplug it and wait for battery to drain - that will take ages wont it if it is in sleep mode? :rolleyes:

thanks for ya help so far

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
neoco benn said:
but how do i do this if it will not respond to me pressing or holding the power button?
do i just unplug it and wait for battery to drain - that will take ages wont it if it is in sleep mode? :rolleyes:

thanks for ya help so far

Like was said before, you need to unplug the laptop and then take the battery out to let the computer turn off. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
This is really strange. Depending on the Ti model you have, you may have a reset button near the I/O ports in the back, press it. If it is the 1Ghz/867 it has a PMU button under the keyboard.
I would first try holding down the power button for like 10 seconds. Check the caps lock key to see if it lights up. If it does not, then it is off.

Then reset PMU.

or try pressing ctrl+cmd+power to restart. Otherwise, let it die down without AC power or battery. Then plug in and reset PMU.

Hope that helps.

neoco benn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
london
MacAficionado said:
This is really strange. Depending on the Ti model you have, you may have a reset button near the I/O ports in the back, press it. If it is the 1Ghz/867 it has a PMU button under the keyboard.
I would first try holding down the power button for like 10 seconds. Check the caps lock key to see if it lights up. If it does not, then it is off.

Then reset PMU.

or try pressing ctrl+cmd+power to restart. Otherwise, let it die down without AC power or battery. Then plug in and reset PMU.

Hope that helps.

thanks i will try all of these - though as i currently get no response I doubt i will see a CAPS LOCK light.

Passante said:
Restart by pressing and holding the power button until the laptop restarts.
wow gee i never thought of that ...or maybe my first post explained that i have tried holding down the power button. :rolleyes:

biozombie said:
The same thing happened to my new iBook and it was the logic board.
i really hope not. if i have to take into Apple they may ask where i got all those LEGAL movies and tunes and adult entertainment!:p

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
[QUOTE
wow gee i never thought of that ...or maybe my first post explained that i have tried holding down the power button. :rolleyes:

ip[/QUOTE]

Ya like I have time to read your posts BEFORE responding.:D

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

happened to my pb as well steps :

take out battery
plug mains in
press power button down
take mains out
put battery back
power on

should work

neoco benn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
london
yeah i got it working!:)
does anyone know why this would have happened? i want to get it fixed by apple whilst it is still under warranty?

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
neoco benn said:
yeah i got it working!:)
does anyone know why this would have happened? i want to get it fixed by apple whilst it is still under warranty?

Is it working yet? O, shoot forgot to read your post before I responded again:D . Glad your powerbook is back up and running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.