Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
As per the user guide from apple:
"Back to My Mac can connect to your remote computer only if it is awake. If your com- puter is in sleep mode, it does not automatically wake up when you try to connect using Back to My Mac. "

Wait does that mean I will have to keep my mac open 24/7 to access it? I know this might be technically challenging to wake the mac remotely from sleep, but it's hardly useful to have to keep your mac on 24/7 just to access a few files while away...:mad:

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
As per the user guide from apple:
"Back to My Mac can connect to your remote computer only if it is awake. If your com- puter is in sleep mode, it does not automatically wake up when you try to connect using Back to My Mac. "

Wait does that mean I will have to keep my mac open 24/7 to access it? I know this might be technically challenging to wake the mac remotely from sleep, but it's hardly useful to have to keep your mac on 24/7 just to access a few files while away...:mad:

Depending on the model of mac, there is a setting to "wake for network access" in your energy saver settings. BTMM will then "wake" the mac you are trying to contact (laptops must be plugged in).

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
There is such a setting, but to be exact it says wake on ethernet, but I 've heard the mac has to be on an ethernet port of the router, and be sent a package of some sort to wake up.

Thanks for the help buddy.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
There is such a setting, but to be exact it says wake on ethernet, but I 've heard the mac has to be on an ethernet port of the router, and be sent a package of some sort to wake up.

Thanks for the help buddy.

Actually my mac's say exactly what I said - "wake for network access". As I said, it depends on the model Mac you have... Mine are relatively new - iMa's and Macbook Pros...

I have/support 18 Macs These wake options appeared in Leopard. Older macs say different statements. Don't quite remember the wording.

In any case, checking this setting should do it for you :)

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Agreed, iDisk is not SSL encrypted in transit or on the Apple server.
(Dropbox is another story...)

Not even on the apple server!!!:eek::eek:

Idisk security as I have said elsewhere is a freaking joke.

I do use it, but still for sensitive info I decrypt the **** out of it, makes for some very cumbersome usage as you can imagine.

I think apple should finally get off their butts with mobileme and deliver better and more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.