Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpinbeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I’ve just updated my Apple Watch 5 to the latest v9.0 and have it paired to my AirPods Pro’s. This morning I did my usual walk and instead of saying Kilometer 1 - it’s says Split 1 etc. Anyway I noticed it announced average speed too so I thought great. That was until I got to kilometer 2 and noticed that the average pace being announced was the same as the 2nd split and not the actual average pace of the walk which my watch was reporting.

Just to help
Split 1 - 10:20 - avg pace 10:20
Split 2 - 10:35 - avg pace 10:35

Watch showed average pace 10:27, AirPods announced 10:35
Anyone else seen or heard this?

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I think the only change is that it now calls the intervals splits. On cycling workouts, at least, the displayed average speed at each 5km interval (now split) has always been the average speed over that interval, not the overall average.

Jumpinbeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Tested on the walk home and yip its the same. I guess it works better over a 5k split in cycling where it will first of all give you the time over the entirety of the for the 5k split then the second part will be average pace per kilometre. In walking though where the splits are 1 km its a bit pointless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.