Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtalksall

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I want to get an apple TV, but can't figure it out if it will work with my set up or not.

I have a wall mounted TV that has the cable going through the wall, and our cable box is resting on a shelf 6 feet from the TV (no wires shown). BUT I want to ditch cable, so the cable box will be going away soon.

It's a thin mount with not much space behind it. Slightly annoyed because the outlet is lower on the TV & pushes it out a bit. We also have a sound bar under the TV, so both outlets are used by the TV & sound bar.

Is there a way I can have the apple TV to work without being right next to it? There's no outlet space, or a ledge to place it on & I don't think it would fit on a wall mount behind the TV.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
if you have a long enough HDMI cord that should work.

How is the Cable Box plugged in currently? Could you just use the cable Outlet plug and HDMI cable and replace with the AppleTV?

OR...you are getting rid of the Cable Box and don't want anything in that place/removing that shelf/etc.

An AppleTV needs a power outlet. and to be connected to the TV, but it can be in a cabinet and the remote will work just fine with IR (maybe a setup needs it to be seen, but not sure)

Reactions: dtalksall

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Why don't you place it on the shelf where your cable box is now, and use the same HDMI cable?

The 4th generation Apple TV remote is RF (radio waves), so you don't have to be concerned about line-of-site as you do with IR (infrared) remotes. So, you might route the HDMI cable that goes through the wall to any convenient place. For much over that 6 ft, though, make sure you use an "active" HDMI cable.

As far as the plug interference with the mount, is the box deep enough to install a recessed outlet? Alternately are you using flat plugs? I have some short "Y" power adapters that come in handy when you need one more outlet... Mine have conventional plugs, but assume they come in flat too.

I think most of us have more "stuff" that goes with our entertainment system. I use an OmniMount glass shelving system that is able to hide a multitude of sins behind removable wood panels. However, pretty sure it is a discontinued product. I have 3 shelves, with Denon receiver, cable box, and Bluray player. Everything else (and there is plenty!) is hidden behind the wood panels. But wouldn't work well with your super flat mount. I use a fully-articulating mount (can rotate a full 90 degrees, and more, actually) that is anything but flat to the wall...

dtalksall

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Well I'm an idiot! Completely forgot there's an HDMI cord hooked up to the cable box. Obviously I can just use that.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I see you've solved this...but to add an option...

The AppleTV is the 1 and only box/input on my TV. So to clean up my installation, I've zip tied it to the back of my TV. Initially I used heavy duty double-sided tape, but after a couple of months the AppleTV's weight (and maybe the heat) caused it to fall. The zip tie is fool-proof.

Your slim-mount may not allow for it, but you may be able to find an "indentation" in the back of your TV where you could gain enough clearance.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
The AppleTV is the 1 and only box/input on my TV. So to clean up my installation, I've zip tied it to the back of my TV. Initially I used heavy duty double-sided tape, but after a couple of months the AppleTV's weight (and maybe the heat) caused it to fall. The zip tie is fool-proof.

I used double sided velcro in 2012 (to the wall not TV) on an apple tv3 in the kitchen and its still rock solid.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/velcro-apple-tv-to-wall.1355225/

Last edited:

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I used double sided velcro in 2012 (to the wall not TV) on an apple tv3 in the kitchen and its still rock solid.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/velcro-apple-tv-to-wall.1355225/

Yeah, the double sided tape worked perfectly for me on the ATV3...but the ATV4 is heavier, so the zip ties were called for. I just found a spot in the back of the TV that allowed me to run the zip tie through and then snugged it around the ATV4.

Whatever way that works....it makes for a very clean installation. No visible box, wires, or power cords at all.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
Cool. Ive put my 4 in a cabinet and the controller adjusts the amplifier by IR. The 4 doesn't strictly need to be by the TV but if you have it there anyway, your method is perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.