Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pkis

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2004
Basel, Switzerland
You're definitely just being honest about the obesity levels in the US. However, the US market is larger than Europe and should get the technology first.

see, that's were you're wrong - many citizens, politicians and businesses in the US haven't realized that Europe has long passed the US in terms of market size. This isn't surprising considering the fact that the EU has a population of 456 million against 300 million in the US - and Europe doesn't only consist of the EU.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6028486.html

That article only talks about the PC market, but the same is true for mobile phones and many other areas.
That is exactly why nobody over here understands that Apple and some other companies treat Europe as a second-hand market.
I really like the US, especially its open-mindedness in many areas - but you guys should stop pretending to be the old bull when it comes to the economy!

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
see, that's were you're wrong - many citizens, politicians and businesses in the US haven't realized that Europe has long passed the US in terms of market size. This isn't surprising considering the fact, that the EU has a population of 456 million against 300 million in the US - and Europe doesn't only consist of the EU.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6028486.html

That article only talks about the PC market, but the same is true for mobile phones and many other areas.
That is exactly why nobody over here understands, why Apple and some other companies treat Europe as a second-hand market.

Furthermore, more people in Europe use mobile phones. In the UK, for instance, there are more phones than people (because some people like to have more than one - one for personal, one for business etc.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
That's another idea, I'm not sure if Apple would go with a pay-as-you-go/prepaid phone. At least from what I observe they seem to have a reputation of being cheap/bad service/for people who can't afford real phone service (although I don't believe any of this is actually true). This is starting to change though.
That's funny. Here in Europe (more precisely on the small rectagle on the west of Spain) almost everyone uses prepaid phones (mostly in ATM machines)

Well I just hope they launch a good unlocked GSM phone. A by good I mean the same relation between the iPod and Creative players. They may have more functions than the iPod but it just works better.

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
Well there you have it - The Iphone is here.

A phone and smart phone all in one. Not many say that coming :)

I'm pretty impressed I must say

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Well there you have it - The Iphone is here.

A phone and smart phone all in one. Not many say that coming :)

I'm pretty impressed I must say

The return of the Newton. Well in my attempt at not being disappointed I'd played down what I thought they'd launch. hhahaha and the name too iPhone. I bet linksys aren't chuffed..

Now how to get one....

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
The return of the Newton. Well in my attempt at not being disappointed I'd played down what I thought they'd launch. hhahaha and the name too iPhone. I bet linksys aren't chuffed..

Now how to get one....

So are they actually going to call it the iPhone? How can they do that???
They must have some arrangement with Cisco, but the products are so similar I don't believe Cisco would arrange that.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
So are they actually going to call it the iPhone? How can they do that???
They must have some arrangement with Cisco, but the products are so similar I don't believe Cisco would arrange that.

I've been getting stroppy with people still calling it iphone after the linksys one came out. haha. I was wrong.

It's linksys that have stolen the apple style naming though in fairness.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I've been getting stroppy with people still calling it iphone after the linksys one came out. haha. I was wrong.

It's linksys that have stolen the apple style naming though in fairness.

If the iPhone is the
  • Widescreen iPod
  • Apple Phone
  • Internet Communicator
all in one, does that mean it will have 80GB of storage?

I'm impressed with the iPhone, but slightly disappointed too. I was hoping for two different designs, one less expensive one with just phone and music capabilities, and one more like what we're seeing here. As soon as they talked about the full screen touch interface, I knew this one was going to be out of the budget I was hoping for.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 153

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Hey, I was watching the updates and Google and Yahoo's execs are coming up and I was just thinking, is it just me, or is the iPhone what Origami was supposed to be?

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I understand why they went with GSM and all just sucks... I think a lot of users on the CDMA side would have killed for that. I mean if you are on sprint you know what I am talking about. Sprint never gets amazing or advanced phones. We just got the razr... CDMA users are dying for a phone manufacture that can deliver quality phones... Oh well guess my PPC-6700 will be staying with me...

Oh look I've got 65818 member ship. don't know what that means but thats pretty sweet!

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
I understand why they went with GSM and all just sucks... I think a lot of users on the CDMA side would have killed for that. I mean if you are on sprint you know what I am talking about. Sprint never gets amazing or advanced phones. We just got the razr... CDMA users are dying for a phone manufacture that can deliver quality phones... Oh well guess my PPC-6700 will be staying with me...

Oh look I've got 65818 member ship. don't know what that means but thats pretty sweet!

Stop just posting about it here.

Email Sprint. Tell them that choice is important to you. Tell them that you insist they support R-UIMs (the IS-95/IS-2000 equivalent of SIM cards) as soon as possible.

As long as Sprint makes it hard for people to choose their own handware, it'll always be in the phone manufacturer's interests to only make phones that are approved by Sprint. Same for Verizon. There could be a market for unlocked CDMA2000 phones in the US, but it's not going to happen until the CDMA2000 operators open up.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Stop just posting about it here.

Email Sprint. Tell them that choice is important to you. Tell them that you insist they support R-UIMs (the IS-95/IS-2000 equivalent of SIM cards) as soon as possible.

As long as Sprint makes it hard for people to choose their own handware, it'll always be in the phone manufacturer's interests to only make phones that are approved by Sprint. Same for Verizon. There could be a market for unlocked CDMA2000 phones in the US, but it's not going to happen until the CDMA2000 operators open up.

Damn cingular exclusive. Well Macworld was a bore for me today... hope one more thing is something I can burn money on yet...

Thanks for the link. I'll do that.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Well, this can't be it. Especially for the iPod. People want a widescreen iPod, and while the iPhone has one, it only has the storage space of a Nano. The whole idea of wanting a widescreen iPod was for watching widescreen movies on. :rolleyes:

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
The catch...not enough storage for price, and not expandable.

Price is a little high and it's not available for a long time.

Multi-year exclusive agreement with Cingular. So I wont be able to buy it outside of Cingular for years, not months?

It will be sold through Apple and Cingular stores, so if I buy at an Apple store, I still have to get a contract? It will be available contract-free (for more) right?

It appears the keynote is ending. Not ONE WORD about Macs or Leopard.

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
I was thinking 8GB be lucky if more

It is 8GB and pretty pricey but damn, ipod, phone, internet - everything I really wanted in a phone with lovely controls and OS basis.

Available June for US and Europe 4th Quarter so not out of line with most expectations.

Just really would take one tomorrow if they were out. 9 months a long wait :)

I think this is really one of the best apple products I have seen. Phones have been at it for SO long and Apples' first attempt really does look a fantastic effort.

mikeh123

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
London
note - iPhone prices include a 2 year contract - FYI

Damn if thats the case then the phone is a bargain. Yes even a basic contract would cost a few hundred over two years so looks good for me.

I dont need more than 4 - 6gb (I know I'm lucky)

In the future this will expand but I am still very impressed initially.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Damn if thats the case then the phone is a bargain. Yes even a basic contract would cost a few hundred over two years so looks good for me.

I dont need more than 4 - 6gb (I know I'm lucky)

In the future this will expand but I am still very impressed initially.

That doesn't mean it includes 2 years of service ("includes" was probably the wrong word to be used above); it means that you get that price by agreeing to a 2-year contract. Not to say that this might not change.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I understand why they went with GSM and all just sucks... I think a lot of users on the CDMA side would have killed for that. I mean if you are on sprint you know what I am talking about. Sprint never gets amazing or advanced phones. We just got the razr... CDMA users are dying for a phone manufacture that can deliver quality phones...

Most of the world uses GSM, why aim for only the US market?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.