Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jubal_Harshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2022
I have a strange problem. When I access Wallet & Apple Pay in Settings, the display shows that Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified.

I used the disk utility to wipe the disk completely. Reinstalled Ventura and then migrated with Timemachine the data and applications. The problem persists.

Now, and this is the strange behavior when I add another user, all of a sudden, Wallet & Apple Pay are available, and I can add cards. As soon as I removed the second user I created, the problem occurred, and I could not add a card.

Wallet - Apple Pay.jpg

Yes, the lid is open, and I am up-to-date with macOS. Security updates are also active.

MBP M1 Pro
macOS 13.0.1 (22A400)

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
EDIT: Wow! I did all this work just to find out I have the same issue!! I think I had this issue in Monterey, too. Let's see what others might be experiencing.

Here's mine:

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 10.50.49 PM.png

I would try signing out of your Apple ID and signing in again - see if that works. If not, try E.A.C.A.S.

Original post:

Figured it would be easier for me to explain and you to understand if I made a video, so here you go. You should try "Erase All Content and Settings" if this doesn't work. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qY5P6CTBWJNwseDx0EyOzIPDcZd7RiFF/view?usp=share_link

Last edited:

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Had the same problem. Spent hours on chat with Apple. Finally had to take it to the Genius Bar. They kept it overnight and did a full wipe and reformat and everything worked after that.

Jubal_Harshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2022
I resolved the problem. The user profile was corrupt. I created a new admin account and transferred (not migrated) all the data.

1. Create a time machine backup or any other backup you that helps you when things go wrong.
  2. Disconnect from iCloud.
  3. Create a new admin user profile.
  4. Log out of the old user profile and sign on to the new user profile.
  5. In the new user profile, I connect to iCloud.
  6. Transfer all the folders that were not in the iCloud from the old profile to the new user profile. iCloud folders are protected from access.
  7. Set up the Wallet. There are some questions about only one instance or so just recreate the wallet.
  8. Remove the old user.
  9. You have to prepare for having to authorize existing applications.
If you want to have the ame user name for the directory that requires that you manipulate the the folder structure but be careful doing that.

Jubal_Harshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2022
EDIT: Wow! I did all this work just to find out I have the same issue!! I think I had this issue in Monterey, too. Let's see what others might be experiencing.

Here's mine:

View attachment 2119778

I would try signing out of your Apple ID and signing in again - see if that works. If not, try E.A.C.A.S.

Original post:

Figured it would be easier for me to explain and you to understand if I made a video, so here you go. You should try "Erase All Content and Settings" if this doesn't work. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qY5P6CTBWJNwseDx0EyOzIPDcZd7RiFF/view?usp=share_link
I resolved it. See my separate message.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I have too much important data—it isn't worth it for me to delete the user account and create a new one while migrating all the data, but I'm really glad you got it working again!!

NDPTAL85

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
To those who are still having this problem, try this simple fix: Reset your NVRAM. To do so, restart your Mac and hold down these four keys as soon as you see the Apple logo: Command, Option, P and R. That's what fixed it for me.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
To those who are still having this problem, try this simple fix: Reset your NVRAM. To do so, restart your Mac and hold down these four keys as soon as you see the Apple logo: Command, Option, P and R. That's what fixed it for me.

That works for Intel-based Macs, but the process is different for Apple Silicon Macs:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
If you have disabled SIP (System Integrity Protection) for anything—like installing TotalFinder or any number of other 3rd party apps that require SIP to be partially or completely disabled—Apple Pay and a few other things will no longer work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.