Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Hello.

I hope I'm at the right place. So, I've just purchased a Studio Display. I tried connecting it with my iPad Pro (2021). No problem, but for some reason my wallpapers comes out blurry on the monitor. These are very high quality wallpapers, not something that only looks sharp and nice on an 11-inch, but also from a MacBook Pro + Studio Display. But it automatically turns blurry with iPadOS. Because the wallpapers are so larger in size and quality, they shouldn't become uglier just because I'm on "extra screen space" mode...

Anyone have a solution?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm curious... are you using the Blur feature for when applying your wallpaper on the Home Screen?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I noticed the wallpapers on the external screen are more zoomed than they need to be. How ever you have it cropped on your iPad screen, will crop it like that on the external display too. So if some of the image is cut off on either side of the iPad, it will do that on the external. That’s why it’ll look blurry or pixelated. Not sure if there’s a way to just make it not do that.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I noticed the wallpapers on the external screen are more zoomed than they need to be. How ever you have it cropped on your iPad screen, will crop it like that on the external display too. So if some of the image is cut off on either side of the iPad, it will do that on the external. That’s why it’ll look blurry or pixelated. Not sure if there’s a way to just make it not do that.
I'm using a 4k external monitor and I've never experienced any blurriness. I can select blur when setting up my Home Screen wallpaper and maybe the OP might have done that mistakenly.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I'm curious... are you using the Blur feature for when applying your wallpaper on the Home Screen?
Nope. I just set a image as wallpaper, and then it appears lower quality on the actual homescreen, even tho the image is large enough to avoid stretching or anything to take away the quality of the image.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
My iPad is set to "more screen" the third option. But the images I use as wallpaper are big enough that they shouldn't turn lower In quality on the studio display. Even when I look at the image from photos app, it looks perfect. It just looks lower quality on the actual Home Screen

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
It’s funny, cause if I try set a picture as wallpaper through the studio display it becomes EVEN WORSE. I don’t understand why the image appears lower quality as a desktop wallpaper cause it looks so crisp when I view it in photos (through the studio display)

basicuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
I still have this issue as well with Studio Display. It doesn’t matter how large the wallpaper resolution is, there is still a decrease in quality compared to the iPad Pro 12.9 display. It even occurs with the default wallpapers. I’ve attached a Studio Display screenshot of a default wallpaper where you can see the jaggy diagonal lines that are not present on the iPad display.

Actually, there is an issue with wallpapers in iPadOS seperate of stage manager that has been unresolved for years. If you select a UHD wallpaper… it will appear to be more clear in the photos app than it does when applied as a wallpaper. I assume that iPadOS is compressing the original image into a lower quality one rather than simply cropping the image. Why? I don’t know.

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 17
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.