Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beta2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
I have a MacBook Pro Mid-2012. Unfortunately I experience random crashes which are followed by "3 beep tones" when I try to reboot immediately afterwards. I then have to wait a few minuntes and can then use the MBP again. I knew, that there is something shady going on (possibly even faulty hardware). Since the 3 beeps seem to indicate issues with the RAM I hardware-checked them and they seemed fine. I also removed them one-by-one, but the issue persisted.

For now, the situation was fine for me since the random crashes appeared not that often (maybe only once every 1 or 2 days). But yesterday it crashed again, and now the system behaves very strange: It was very slow to work with and the wallpaper image was constantly appearing/disappearing. The system was more or less not usable.

I then looked into the console and found the following message constantly appearing: "com.apple.doc.agent service exited due to SIGBUS"

The message is then followed by something similar to: "Service only ran for 0 seconds.."

So there seems to be an endless loop of the doc.agent sercie respawning which may also be the reason for the slowing down of the system.

I tried already the following things to no avail: SMC reset, PRAM/NVRAM reset, safe mode, look through autostart.

Interestingly, when I use the MBP with another user, everything works fine (at least for now). So there seems something user-specific to be going on, but I couldn't find any shady active processes. Furthermore, no new applications were installed for several weeks and this issue only started last night.

Since the SIGBUS and the random crashes may hint already at faulty hardware, I was already considering to replace the logic board. So maybe this finally forces me to do exactly that. But maybe you guys have another hint for me? Thanks!

Bastianoso

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Hi @beta2k,

i have the exact same problem. It appeared all of a sudden and only with my main user account. I tried safe mode, resetting PRAM and verbose butnothing fixed it. Disk repair and Diagnose say everything is okay.

i also removed every startup item but the problem persists.

could you solve the problem or what was your solution?

beta2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
I am sorry to hear that. I could not find the root cause and my solution was to create a new user...

Bastianoso

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Thank you for your answer!
I guess then that‘s what I‘ll do, or I try to recover from a time machine backup from before the problem occurred. And hopefully it doesn‘t come back … strange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.