Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
He’s not talking about apple pay, he’s talking about the new instant bank to bank transfers platform.
Oh, I wasn’t aware this existed. It’s not surprising that banks won’t support instant money transfer because they make interest off of holding onto your money. The longer they can pretend it takes to push a button, the more money they make.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Oh, I wasn’t aware this existed. It’s not surprising that banks won’t support instant money transfer because they make interest off of holding onto your money. The longer they can pretend it takes to push a button, the more money they make.

That’s only the US banks, though. Everywhere else the instant and free transfers have existed for years. Even in Mexico, a country americans often look down on, the instant money transfers have existed for years.

• Sad
Reactions: russell_314

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
FedNow launched less than a year ago. The uptake has been really good. I expect it to become near universal.

Banks want instant transfer otherwise they'll continue losing business to Venmo etc. They even launched their own private instant-transfer network Zelle. But I don't think that one will scale as well since it's controlled by a few major banks and it's not always great to have your infrastructure tied to a competitor.

FedNow on the other hand is run by the Federal Reserve, just like most of ACH, and as such I expect it will become basically universal, just like ACH. Really, I would think of it as the successor to ACH. But ACH will stick around for decades since serious money systems tend to be long-lasting.

Reactions: lartola

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
FedNow launched less than a year ago. The uptake has been really good. I expect it to become near universal.

Banks want instant transfer otherwise they'll continue losing business to Venmo etc. They even launched their own private instant-transfer network Zelle. But I don't think that one will scale as well since it's controlled by a few major banks and it's not always great to have your infrastructure tied to a competitor.

FedNow on the other hand is run by the Federal Reserve, just like most of ACH, and as such I expect it will become basically universal, just like ACH. Really, I would think of it as the successor to ACH. But ACH will stick around for decades since serious money systems tend to be long-lasting.
So what it sounds like is FedNow is not going to replace me using my Apple Pay to get a coffee anytime soon, but it would be something I would use to buy a house, or a new car instead.

Reactions: russell_314

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

Not to mention that they’ll want to be up to date. Banks in the rest of the world have had instant transfers for a long time. Only the ones in the US have been sticking to the older ACH all these years.

And if FedNow ever becomes universal then ACH will eventually go out of use simply because no one will want to wait 1-3 days when there is a free way to do it instantly.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
So what it sounds like is FedNow is not going to replace me using my Apple Pay to get a coffee anytime soon, but it would be something I would use to buy a house, or a new car instead.

It will certainly replace the decades old ACH. People will prefer an immediate transfer over one that takes at least 1-3 days.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If Walmart doesn’t accept ApplePay I shop elsewhere. Let’s be real
Walmart is no bargain and there are plenty
Of places that take ApplePay and want my business

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

Walmart is an easy holdout to skip. Home Depot is the difficult one to skip. Most of its competition still doesn’t take apple pay and even the few competitors that take it still don’t have everything home depot has.

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment

Great if you live in a major metropolitan area. But if happen to live in smaller town USA you'll be driving a long way to get to a major metro area that has "plenty Of places that take ApplePay". I happen to live in smaller town USA and there are very few places that take Apple Pay.

Reactions: brgjoe

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Great if you live in a major metropolitan area. But if happen to live in smaller town USA you'll be driving a long way to get to a major metro area that has "plenty Of places that take ApplePay". I happen to live in smaller town USA and there are very few places that take Apple Pay.
Are you sure it’s “very few”?

Most small towns I’ve been to all are very equipped with Apple Pay. It could be that they just don’t know how to run the transaction.

If they take the chip card, there’s a good 95% chance it also has Apple Pay.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Are you sure it’s “very few”?

Most small towns I’ve been to all are very equipped with Apple Pay. It could be that they just don’t know how to run the transaction.

If they take the chip card, there’s a good 95% chance it also has Apple Pay.

That’s true, but if they don’t know how to run the transaction the result is the same as if contactless were disabled or the POS didn’t have it: you end up inserting a chip card. And that gives people the wrong idea that those places aren’t equipped for apple pay.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Walmart is an easy holdout to skip. Home Depot is the difficult one to skip. Most of its competition still doesn’t take apple pay and even the few competitors that take it still don’t have everything home depot has.
Home Depot lacks good judgement
Lowe’s takes Applepay and appreciates your business
Both stores carry the same or similar items
I’d rather shop at Lowe’s

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Home Depot lacks good judgement
Lowe’s takes Applepay and appreciates your business
Both stores carry the same or similar items
I’d rather shop at Lowe’s

Lowe’s just turned it on very recently. They refused to allow it for years just like home depot. BTW home depot has some items/brands that they sell exclusively. That’s why they feel they can get away with not allowing contactless.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX

I used to think Fednow was going to work, but now I have my doubts. Lots of influencers and financial advisors are saying to avoid it because they think it will lead to a digital currency and a cashless economy, and they don't want that. So even if more banks jump on board, people will be reluctant to use it, and it will probably fail. Also, many banks will avoid it because they have zelle, and they don't want to support a government baked competitor.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I used to think Fednow was going to work, but now I have my doubts. Lots of influencers and financial advisors are saying to avoid it because they think it will lead to a digital currency and a cashless economy, and they don't want that. So even if more banks jump on board, people will be reluctant to use it, and it will probably fail. Also, many banks will avoid it because they have zelle, and they don't want to support a government baked competitor.

I think it's more likely that banks will add their own fees on top of it, making it not worthwhile for many people to use it over ACH or something like Venmo.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

The problem is that Zelle is only for person to person transfers. FedNow, if it’s anything like what has existed for years in the rest of the world, likely also allows instant transfers to/from business bank accounts, which companies will prefer to use over ach which takes 1-3 days. That will prevent FedNow from failing completely.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Looks like things are going to get even more chaotic at Walmart (and that is saying a lot for Walmart). Apparently now they are shutting down all self-checkout lines to anyone who does not have a Walmart+ membership. Making it worse, they aren't adding any other manned checkout lines, so they are trying to push people into getting Walmart+ subscriptions, or deal with the chaos.

I wouldn't have believed this if I hadn't seen it for myself at the closest Walmart to me, which has only one thing that we need. Thankfully the other 3 stores - including the Walmart Neighborhood Market (grocery store) - hasn't gone that route, so we have other options, but this is getting really atrocious from them. I already have a plethora of reason to never shop at Walmart, and this is simply adding to it.

BL.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like things are going to get even more chaotic at Walmart (and that is saying a lot for Walmart). Apparently now they are shutting down all self-checkout lines to anyone who does not have a Walmart+ membership. Making it worse, they aren't adding any other manned checkout lines, so they are trying to push people into getting Walmart+ subscriptions, or deal with the chaos.

I wouldn't have believed this if I hadn't seen it for myself at the closest Walmart to me, which has only one thing that we need. Thankfully the other 3 stores - including the Walmart Neighborhood Market (grocery store) - hasn't gone that route, so we have other options, but this is getting really atrocious from them. I already have a plethora of reason to never shop at Walmart, and this is simply adding to it.

BL.
At one of my local Walmarts, there's regular self checkouts, belted self checkouts, and then special self checkouts set aside for Walmart+ members.

So they literally are slowly turning Walmart into Sam's Club pretty much. At this point why not just go all the way and charge everyone to even enter the place?

zenodux

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
Whole Paycheck started doing that nonsense after they got bought by Amazon. I almost never shop there any more, either, and certainly don’t bother with their app.
I have used ApplePay at Whole Foods, both before and after Amazon acquired it - mostly via Apple Watches. Amazon uses a QR code for the Prime loyalty program (optional), and you can also use their weird pay-with-your-palm tech (also optional).

The nice thing about ApplePay is that you can effectively reissue yourself a new device account number whenever you want by removing and re-adding the card to Wallet. This is useful to mitigate tracking via card number.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Not to get anyone's hopes up but Wal-Mart's Lane/7000s do in fact have blinking contactless led now, which means the reader is turned on but the software isn't. My local one still has some iSC250s that aren't blinking. Lowe's was blinking before they turned on but I'm sure it's just a mistake but it does seem to be blinking on purpose as I know for a fact they did not blink before.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Not to get anyone's hopes up but Wal-Mart's Lane/7000s do in fact have blinking contactless led now, which means the reader is turned on but the software isn't. My local one still has some iSC250s that aren't blinking. Lowe's was blinking before they turned on but I'm sure it's just a mistake but it does seem to be blinking on purpose as I know for a fact they did not blink before.

With what they are doing at our local Walmart, it may be a case of what they give, they take away.

They could enable contactless payment... but only for Walmart+ members. everyone else, gets to go back into the conga line for staffed checkout, and not have any contactless method at all.

BL.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
With what they are doing at our local Walmart, it may be a case of what they give, they take away.

They could enable contactless payment... but only for Walmart+ members. everyone else, gets to go back into the conga line for staffed checkout, and not have any contactless method at all.

BL.
Walmart Pay still works in the staffed checkout.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

BL.

I'm not sure they're able to enable at that level of granularity, but given that they'd rather people use the app, I don't think they'd want to enable it at all anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.