Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Well, I've been waiting for the octo-cores to come out to see what happened, now they are out, and now I can buy.

I will mainly be using my computer to run CS3, Lightroom, Parallels with XP to run Digital Darkroom and for my fiancee to run SPSS, and some work with video in Final Cut, and work with photo slideshows in Final Cut. Then there are your regular programs, Office, Handbrake, Toast, etc.

I can't decide what I should go for. I see this as a long term investment, and I am currently looking at this configuration:

* Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
* 4GB (4 x 1GB)
* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
* Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
* Two 16x SuperDrives
* Bluetooth 2.0+EDR module
* Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English
* AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

I also have a 300GB External drive for backups, and a 160GB internal drive out of my Windoze box to throw in

Now, that is A TON of money, but like I said, I see it as a long term investment. Is this overkill for what I need? Should I go with the quad 3.0, or the quad 2.66?

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
and oh yeah, I'm ready to walk into the store tomorrow and get this thing (if they have it) or should I wait until after NAB to see if they update Displays? or since that is less than 15 days away, would they do anything for me?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
How long term?

The Multi Core Computer is here to stay....the 8 Core Mac Pro cost alot, but its one hell of a computer. It will help rip through anything you give it!

Plus the extra room for 12 GBs more of RAM, 2 more harddrives(and even the currnet ones you have aren't the biggest out there) there is plenty of room for upgrades.

However if I were you I'd look into the extra $$ for the 500-> 750 harddrive..that 250 might come in handy if you need to make lots of file.

Edit--Next time edit your posts inplace of bumping, also I don't know if you can doing into the Apple Store and get all that. When I went to get an iMac G5, I couldn't get a bigger harddrive, and I'd imagine it similar for the Mac Pro. IMO You'd be better off buying online. As for weighting, it might be worth it. But I think if they had new displays they wouldn't have lowered the old ones price, but maybe they will add a new model.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Well, I've been waiting for the octo-cores to come out to see what happened, now they are out, and now I can buy.

I will mainly be using my computer to run CS3, Lightroom, Parallels with XP to run Digital Darkroom and for my fiancee to run SPSS, and some work with video in Final Cut, and work with photo slideshows in Final Cut. Then there are your regular programs, Office, Handbrake, Toast, etc.

I can't decide what I should go for. I see this as a long term investment, and I am currently looking at this configuration:

* 4GB (4 x 1GB)
* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* Two 16x SuperDrives
* AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

I also have a 300GB External drive for backups, and a 160GB internal drive out of my Windoze box to throw in

Now, that is A TON of money, but like I said, I see it as a long term investment. Is this overkill for what I need? Should I go with the quad 3.0, or the quad 2.66?

If i was in your spot of dropping that kind of money down ..

I would opt out of the 500GB hdd then put 2x 750GB SATA II (3.0GB)

And up to 6.0GB of Ram :eek: :eek: ..

The apps are Ram Hogs are CS3 / Final Cut / Parallels <<--needs Ultimate vista to "See" Multi-Core processing.. Update the Parallel software before you install "Vista"

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
do not buy hard drive's or RAM from Apple... drop it down to a 160gb hard drive and base RAM... order that stuff from newegg, OWC, crucial, whatever....just not Apple.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Thanks for the input, and on the Hard drive thing, I figure I can always go aftermarket later. That is the least of my worries!

And I thought they did custom configs in the store? When I got my MBP, I got the 7200RPM Drive, 1 gig stick of ram (back when the standard was 512, I think) and somthing else I can't remember and they had it for me.

And sorry about the bumping thing, I didn't mean to. damn newB

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The only chance of getting a CTO MP in store would be if someone bought one online and then returned it to a store, which I am sure you can do. Even getting airport and BT is considered CTO and is not available in the store.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
do not buy hard drive's or RAM from Apple... drop it down to a 160gb hard drive and base RAM... order that stuff from newegg, OWC, crucial, whatever....just not Apple.

Not sure if others have noticed, but in the New Zealand Apple Store you cant downgrade the HDD anymore, the options are 250, 500, and 750.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
No 2.66 Quad core being offered in Ireland
Not here either.

Not sure if others have noticed, but in the New Zealand Apple Store you cant downgrade the HDD anymore, the options are 250, 500, and 750.
Same here, no more 160GB.

I'm thinking I'll be upgrading the RAM, DVD drive, and hard drives myself. Even with my developer discount, it's still cheaper to go third party. I expect a little premium, but not that much.

osx-linux

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Definitely go 3rd party with the ram if you are price sensitive at all.

I just bought the macpro dual core 2.66 (octa-core was out of price range)

Paired that up with an order from ocw for the RAM:

OWC53FB1MPK04GB
4.0GB Mac Pro Memory Matched Pair (1GB x 4) PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMM Modules
$479.95

Total: $484.90 (shipped, insured)

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
Definitely go 3rd party with the ram if you are price sensitive at all.

I just bought the macpro dual core 2.66 (octa-core was out of price range)

Paired that up with an order from ocw for the RAM:

OWC53FB1MPK04GB
4.0GB Mac Pro Memory Matched Pair (1GB x 4) PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMM Modules
$479.95

Total: $484.90 (shipped, insured)

What drive/s are you going to hook up to the system?

osx-linux

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
What drive/s are you going to hook up to the system?

Haven't bought those yet. System should arrive April 11-17th... so I've got some time at least.

Was looking at this on newegg.com:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136073
$134.99 (with $10 mail in rebate -- i hate mail in rebates.)

I missed out on the fry's $119 500 gig segate's that multimedia posted about last week to my dismay.

I'll probably stick 4 500 gig drives, if I see a sub $125 no rebate offer soon... the newegg rebate limits you to 2 drives and ends 4/15. Perhaps I'll just go down to frys and pick up some cheap 400gigs.

The base model comes with a 250 gig drive which I'll probably remove and stick in an external storage shell.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
So, I'm stuck getting this thing at the online Apple Store?

and as far as RAM and HDD's, get the cheapest, and then get third party?

So, how does this look?

* 1GB (2 x 512MB)
* 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* Two 16x SuperDrives

And then add the 4GB ram kit that osx-linux had, and find a few Hard Drives.

Will Any PC Hard Drive fit in these things?

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
So, I'm stuck getting this thing at the online Apple Store?

and as far as RAM and HDD's, get the cheapest, and then get third party?

So, how does this look?

* 1GB (2 x 512MB)
* 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* Two 16x SuperDrives

And then add the 4GB ram kit that osx-linux had, and find a few Hard Drives.

I'd also pass on the second super drive. If you can wait til blu ray drives are available, you can add one then. otherwise, you might as well buy a better dvd burner elsewhere. they're cheap, and even though they're a bit harder to add than a hard drive in the mac pro, it's not too hard to get the drive cage out, etc.

cheers.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
If I were you, I would use my money a different way...

Get the 8-core machine, and instead of the apple monitors, Get 2 dell 24" monitors. The savings right there will be enough to cover the cost of the 8 core machine.

Or just get the dell 30" widescreen monitor in the outlet for 1049. Thats a $750 savings which would be the cost to upgrade to the 8 core machine

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Hey i'm just saying for me if I could switch the ACD with a dell monitor to give me an 8-core machine, Why not? I understand the ACD are nice and all, I don't believe they are $1799 nice. Besides in a few years, it won't make too big of a difference. What will is having the extra 4 cores @ 3.0ghz.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
So can you put any DVD Burner/HDD in a Mac Pro?

For hard disks, you can use any 3.5" (desktop size) SATA hard disk. Actually, you can use PATA(EIDE) drives, if you put them into the optical drive bay). SATA drives are obviously easier since all you have to do is open the machine, pull out a free caddy, take the screws out, screw the drive into the caddy, and then slide the caddy back in and close the machine. Takes about 5 minutes, tops (ignorning the time to format the drive, etc.).

Optical drives are a bit more complicated, but if you have had any experience with installing drives in other pcs, it won't be a problem. The optical drive cage slides out pretty easily (just be careful not to rip the cables out). The original superdrive is on a regular pata cable which has a second connector on it. You simply put the new drive in (making sure to remove the face plate if you actually want the drive to open ;) ), screw it into the cage, make sure the pins have been configured for cable select, attach the drive cable and power cable to the drive, and place the cable back in. There are also two free sata ports in the Mac Pro that are meant for optical drives, so you could go with the less common SATA optical drives. What I have seen posted here is that hard drives connected to these ports are seen in OS X, but not Windows. Don't know if this still is true and if it is the same with optical drives. Not only can your mac pro recognize most cd/dvd models (the sony that i got with my mac pro isn't great, so at some point I may replace it), and toast will burn to blu-ray drives (the programs that apple ships with os x will not, however, burn to blu-ray yet). Note that you won't be able to play commercial blu-ray disks on the Mac Pro, though, as there isn't support for hdcp in the apple software (or in the graphics cards, one assumes; apple displays also don't have hdcp support).
cheers.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
cool, thanks dk!

I have built PCs for many years, so I don't think it will be a problem installing any of the stuff, just wanted to make sure that everything would work well and play nice with the Mac Pro :)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland

NO, it must be s.a.t.a.

There are no power and data cables to connect to the hard drive for a Mac Pro (unlike the G5) when the hard drive is fitted into the "carrier" for lack of a better word, the hard drive is pushed back into a socket. That's it, job done. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.