Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wild_Rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
Greece
Hello everyone!

I'm about to purchase my 1st Mac! I already have a decent PC for what I'm doing right now (web design, video editing, Photoshop) but I wanna dive in to the Mac world. I'd like to learn and start developing apps with XCode, plus I'd love to have the best of both worlds for whatever use I want. (PC with Windows 10 and a laptop with OS X).

Now, my question is: which MacBook Pro should I buy to get the job done?

13" nTB MBP 2017 | 2.3GHz i5 dual core/IRIS Graphics 640/256GB SSD/16GB RAM) ~ 1600euros
13" wTB MBP 2017 | 3.1GHz i5 dual core/IRIS Graphics 650/256GB SSD/16GB RAM)(with 16GB RAM) ~ 1900 euros

Since I don't plan on using an external screen, I obviously would prefer the 15" model (plus the i7 quad core CPU would simply execute anything on its way) but it's so much more expensive.(And no, I wouldn't want to get a 2015 15" model...)

I plan on keeping this MacBook for at least 5 years. Is the non Touch Bar model powerful enough to keep me going, as I will be evolving on coding/developing, for more than 2 years? Or should I invest on the more powerful touch bar model?

I look forward to reading your thoughts/suggestions! thanks!

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Screen too small, even a 15 inch would be small, now a 13 will make it very uncomfortable to work with.

Reactions: Wild_Rose

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2016
I'd done development work for years on an 11 inch 2011 mba. I also used it to do 3D modelling using sketchup (note that rendering would take several days to get a good result). I recently upgraded to the entry level 13 inch mbp (nTB version) and I've not had any performance issues or problems with the screen (and I'm 45 with 40 years of staring at screens).

Xcode runs without issue for me. Note that I've had to use eclipse for some smart TV projects and that was like pulling teeth - the installer stub would max out all CPUs and threads (4 in my case) just downloading the IDE. I think this was more of an issue with java than with the laptop.

I'd recommend getting what you're comfortable paying, installing Xcode on it and testing it for a few days. If you're not happy with it, take it back and upgrade to something else.

I might add also that I'd previously written code using a 386sx running at 16Mhz (so I guess I could be a bit biased as to what is sufficient for coding)

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Anything will be powerful enough to get the job done, getting a larger model will just result in slightly less time spent. Which if you're doing something as a hobbyist, is probably more valuable to you. They're all high end processors and stuff so it's best/better not terrible/fantastic.

As was mentioned just get something in your price range, and get the best you can there. Consider accessories/software into your budget. Then get the laptop and enjoy it. Yes a 15" would be better in the long run, but unless you are using both a 13" and a 15" in 5 years time you won't notice the minor speed difference.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Performance-wise, it doesn't matter really, both will do the job just fine. In long term, consider getting an external display as it might make things more convenient.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Honestly differences are minor however if you are going to run a lot on it at once the cooling on the touch bar version is much better.

Wild_Rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
Greece
thanks everyone!
While i was messing around with a MBP 13" with touch bar at a local store, i totally forgot about the touch bar thing to be honest...I only consider it because its processor is better than the base model. I'll rethink my options and will get back to you!

Wild_Rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
Greece
hey guys, so I'm about to order the 2017 13" touch bar model, but I'm wondering if I can go with the standard 8GB of RAM so I can save some cash.... will XCode be Ok with heavy app coding?

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
hey guys, so I'm about to order the 2017 13" touch bar model, but I'm wondering if I can go with the standard 8GB of RAM so I can save some cash.... will XCode be Ok with heavy app coding?
should get 16GB+512GB for smooth working and run emulator better , 512GB with faster disk speed for Xcode search of library and save of intermittent file ,
The faster CPU mostly help you save few seconds for build up. I have 8/256 Touchbar 3.1 2017 provided by company on working and I have 16/512 2.0 nTB 2016 at home, definitely nTB much smoother.

Wild_Rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
Greece
really? I was kinda sold on the Touch Bar model because it has better processor and graphics card (I might wanna do some video editing for fun at some point)... thanks for your input!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hello everyone!

I'm about to purchase my 1st Mac! I already have a decent PC for what I'm doing right now (web design, video editing, Photoshop) but I wanna dive in to the Mac world. I'd like to learn and start developing apps with XCode, plus I'd love to have the best of both worlds for whatever use I want. (PC with Windows 10 and a laptop with OS X).

Now, my question is: which MacBook Pro should I buy to get the job done?

13" nTB MBP 2017 | 2.3GHz i5 dual core/IRIS Graphics 640/256GB SSD/16GB RAM) ~ 1600euros
13" wTB MBP 2017 | 3.1GHz i5 dual core/IRIS Graphics 650/256GB SSD/16GB RAM)(with 16GB RAM) ~ 1900 euros

Since I don't plan on using an external screen, I obviously would prefer the 15" model (plus the i7 quad core CPU would simply execute anything on its way) but it's so much more expensive.(And no, I wouldn't want to get a 2015 15" model...)

I plan on keeping this MacBook for at least 5 years. Is the non Touch Bar model powerful enough to keep me going, as I will be evolving on coding/developing, for more than 2 years? Or should I invest on the more powerful touch bar model?

I look forward to reading your thoughts/suggestions! thanks!
Buy cheap and let the code pay for upgrades. I'd recommend a MacMini ( screen real estate is very important ) or a MacAir to start. After you've written some code and made some money, upgrade to your heart's desire.

I currently use a 2016 MBP15 about 70% of the time for XCode / SPA development. I use a 2015 iMac27(5k) for most of the rest of the development time.

deliriumxy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
get whatever you want. I'd recommend a quad core 15" since it helps speed up compile times if you're into that.

But any of the options you listed will do the job. I'm at my dev job typing away at a late 2011 MBP 13"... so... y'know... whatever

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
thanks. I'd love to get the 15" but it's wayyy over my budget...
The 13” will be fine for coding. It can drive external monitors too. Don’t forget you can connect to your TV as well if it has HDMI (wired) or you have an Apple TV (wireless). My son & I were using the TV last night so we didn’t have to huddle around my laptop while working on a game-building tutorial.

Anything graphically intensive you’d want to test on a device anyway because the devices handle graphics and animation way better than the simulator on your MBP. I was testing a super simple scene last night (3 SpriteKit nodes) and was getting 20-30FPS in simulator on my MBP 15 2017, but ran 60FPS on an iPhone SE without skipping a beat.

Still a bit blown away that my 15” laptop is set to 1680x1050 resolution, which is what my 20” iMac G5 had for screen resolution in 2004.

mvtm

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2017
Hey, i’ve used Xcode for simple tasks.

Using Xcode at a 2012 “11 MBA with base specs have worked fine! Sometimes i wished the screen was bigger but xcode rans really good. I pair the beta versions with high sierra on old equip and does ok. I don’t have doubts that it will run great in any 13” you pick. I don’t use simulated profiles, just tweak iOS system GPS for apps, but never noticed the program slow!

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
The 13” will be fine for coding. It can drive external monitors too. Don’t forget you can connect to your TV as well if it has HDMI (wired) or you have an Apple TV (wireless). My son & I were using the TV last night so we didn’t have to huddle around my laptop while working on a game-building tutorial.

Anything graphically intensive you’d want to test on a device anyway because the devices handle graphics and animation way better than the simulator on your MBP. I was testing a super simple scene last night (3 SpriteKit nodes) and was getting 20-30FPS in simulator on my MBP 15 2017, but ran 60FPS on an iPhone SE without skipping a beat.

Still a bit blown away that my 15” laptop is set to 1680x1050 resolution, which is what my 20” iMac G5 had for screen resolution in 2004.
The main reason of using emulator is hard to get all size devices even in software company,
especially the old model or the latest model should need budget and approved by top,
the emulator much convenient for UI design, as hard to use the emulator for game design because poor graphic performance and bad input experiment.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The main reason of using emulator is hard to get all size devices even in software company,
especially the old model or the latest model should need budget and approved by top,
the emulator much convenient for UI design, as hard to use the emulator for game design because poor graphic performance and bad input experiment.
Yes, I agree, the simulator is great for pointing out auto layout issues (turn on the double-pseudotext option to see if your constraints are working correctly). The simulator works very well for non-gaming type applications. Never had a problem with my CoreData based apps, for example. Tableviews don’t have noticeable lag when scrolling, navigation works normally, etc.
[doublepost=1511875347][/doublepost]
I'm not gonna do apps that will push the graphics card..
You’ll be fine. Honestly. My 2012 11” MBA has no problem running Xcode and device simulators.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

It will be OK, you have no plans to run VM's so should be fine, of course if you open every app you have and hundreds of web pages and leave them open all the time you will run out of RAM and if that's your modus operandi then more RAM is a must for you. But if you can bear to occasionally close an app or god forbid a few web pages I'm sure you'll be fine.

Wild_Rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
Greece
yeap that's what I'm thinking, although I'm pretty neat with the programs I use simultaneously, usually they're not more than 4 and up to 4-7 browser tabs. I'm going back and forth on the RAM thing because I know that after a couple of years I will want the 16GB RAM...

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
yeap that's what I'm thinking, although I'm pretty neat with the programs I use simultaneously, usually they're not more than 4 and up to 4-7 browser tabs. I'm going back and forth on the RAM thing because I know that after a couple of years I will want the 16GB RAM...

I must admit I've had 8gb of RAM in my macbooks since 2010 and never even noticed either way even with 9 desktops open all running 3 or 4 large pdf's and safari for studying and a couple of protein modelling programs, I wouldn't worry too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.