Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Anyone remember Jailbreakme.com? How easy it was to jailbreak your iPhone 3G and GS on iOS3?

Well, the team from Cyanogenmod have made it very, very simple to install and use Cyanogenmod 10.2 (equivalent to Jelly Bean 4.3) onto your phone (assuming you have an HTC One, a recent Samsung Galaxy phone or a Nexus device. Sorry, but these are the only devices available at this time.)

Sooo, I took my old Samsung Galaxy SIII (which had been restored to completely factory showroom stock, with nothing on it, not even a sim installed), and I logged it on to my WiFi network and did the install. Total time from start to finish (including installing an update I got right away was 17 minutes. Most of that time was software download.)

All you have to do is go to the Play Store on your phone: Link to app: Cyanogenmod Installer App

• Download app and open it.
  • Follow directions
  • Go to Windows PC and go to http://get.cm
  • Follow directions
  • Plug phone into PC
  • Profit

It is that simple. No rooting, no coding, no nothing. Easy. Peazy. Lemon squeezy. Here is some pics I took during install.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Pics of install

Attachments

• 2013-11-12 17.23.39.jpg
    2013-11-12 17.23.39.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • 2013-11-12 17.24.15.jpg
    2013-11-12 17.24.15.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • 2013-11-12 17.27.40.jpg
    2013-11-12 17.27.40.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
The reviews are slaughtering it. This one scares me:

Dangerous - Meant for Sideloading Only
CM really needs to warn people about what installing this app can do. It's one of the few (only?) apps on Google Play that absolutely will void your device's warranty. And, it's the only app on Google Play you will not be able to uninstall. Shocked Google is approving of this.

I have an S4 that I'm about to send back to AT&T's warranty dept. Was about to install this and play around.. glad I didn't.

----------

Also, no OS X or Linux support. Reports of bricked phones and more. Just use caution...

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The reviews are slaughtering it. This one scares me:

Dangerous - Meant for Sideloading Only
CM really needs to warn people about what installing this app can do. It's one of the few (only?) apps on Google Play that absolutely will void your device's warranty. And, it's the only app on Google Play you will not be able to uninstall. Shocked Google is approving of this.

I have an S4 that I'm about to send back to AT&T's warranty dept. Was about to install this and play around.. glad I didn't.

----------

Also, no OS X or Linux support. Reports of bricked phones and more. Just use caution...

The problem with apps like this is that they need to ensure that even the dumbest person can install it. 99% of the 1 and 2 star ratings I saw were people complaining that the app isn't available for their device or they thought this would fix this previous rooting attempts.

Needless to say, this was the 2nd easiest install I have ever done. The first was my iPhone 3GS and jailbreakme.com. ;)

But, like you said, always use caution.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Wow very nice to see that, although I wish it has 4.4 KitKat versions since I already have 4.3 on my HTC One. Is this also going wipe your data off? I would love to try it out.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I used this on my S4 and it worked flawlessly. Very happy with it.

The only people complaining about it and giving bad reviews are people who don't understand what it does and shouldn't be using it in the first place.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
This will get pulled I think. Especially if it comes with gapps.

Pretty sure it downloads GApps separately just as you would on a normal CM install. The guys who run CM are pals with people at Google, I doubt there'll be any problems. Android is open source after all.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I wonder how well this works. A few of the GS4 variants have a locked bootloader and need the Loki patch. Does the CM installer realize this and auto install everything?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The problem with apps like this is that they need to ensure that even the dumbest person can install it. 99% of the 1 and 2 star ratings I saw were people complaining that the app isn't available for their device or they thought this would fix this previous rooting attempts.

Needless to say, this was the 2nd easiest install I have ever done. The first was my iPhone 3GS and jailbreakme.com. ;)

But, like you said, always use caution.

How do you use caution when this is supposed to automate the process?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
How do you use caution when this is supposed to automate the process?

Just because something is automated, does that mean you throw caution out the window, especially when you are updating the OS? Are you not cautious when you update OSX? Or Windows? Do you not prepare your PC with backups, 'just in case'?

I wonder why Apple includes a prep guide and a Terms of Use before you go to install or update iTunes, iOS or OSX? Isn't the automated process perfect every time?

Or were you just trolling? :p

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Just because something is automated, does that mean you throw caution out the window, especially when you are updating the OS? Are you not cautious when you update OSX? Or Windows? Do you not prepare your PC with backups, 'just in case'?

I wonder why Apple includes a prep guide and a Terms of Use before you go to install or update iTunes, iOS or OSX? Isn't the automated process perfect every time?

I am very careful to backup my data before updating my computer's OS, but that's because I use Arch :p

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Are you not cautious when you update OSX? Or Windows? Do you not prepare your PC with backups, 'just in case'?

actually ... i dont. i just assume itll work after all their beta testing ;)

anyway. what benefits does it have on an Nexus device which comes with stock android anyway?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

No I'm actually being serious :p What if you were to use this and brick your phone? What then?

I do things the manual way but I'm just wondering what you mean by being cautious when the process is automated.

----------

actually ... i dont. i just assume itll work after all their beta testing ;)

anyway. what benefits does it have on an Nexus device which comes with stock android anyway?

Lots of nice small features. Customisable quick toggles, changing brightness by sliding the status bar. Customise LED (can be done with 3rd part apps I guess). Change status bar icons for battery, signal bars etc. Lots of small things that add up to make it a much better experience IMO.

xchampx13

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
Im wondering... does this backup the ROM you were on before install? Or load it as a ROM Switcher type thing? I have no issue manually backing up and flashing CM myself, ive done it multiple time, but if this did a backup of some sort that would be awesome, like if you come from Stock to this and want to go back. I haven't really researched this all to much so if anyone who has done it can answer that would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.