Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b13o0r12e3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
London, United Kingdom
So I'm tempted to burn that hole and stump up for the X, until I saw this monstrosity...

https://www.slashgear.com/this-diy-iphone-x-mini-is-bonkers-13499677/

iphone5xproto.jpg

Sure, it ain't aesthetically pleasing.

But think about it, the Retina MacBook got passed from the 15" to 13", as well as the iMac 5K to 4K. I'm amazed this hasn't been brought up in all the hoopla, but who's not to say that the iPhone X will have a iPhone 6 screen the physical size of an iPhone 5?

That's why I'll stick to my 6 for another year. You lot keep buying your X's, I'll thank you all in 2018 when the prices become 'more affordable' and the iPhone X Mini comes out ;)

Reactions: braddick

b13o0r12e3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Sure, of course. Problem is, I can afford to buy the X, I just can't justify buying the X. And to buy something when according to past Apple product history, the technology gets morphed down to smaller products so soon, it's just not right. It's bad enough paying £1,000 for a phone that should last you several years, then having to burn a second hole in your wallet a few months later, whilst watching the value of your phone fall down a cliff.

It's kinda like going out with someone for the sake of going out, instead of waiting for the one you really want...

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
That's why I'll stick to my 6 for another year. You lot keep buying your X's, I'll thank you all in 2018 when the prices become 'more affordable' and the iPhone X Mini comes out ;)
You really think iPhone prices will become 'more affordable' in 2018?
You really think Apple is going to make a bezel-less iPhone SE in 2018?
I think you will be doubly disappointed in 2018 :p

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You were considering the iPhone X, until you saw the link, and instantly said to yourself, Apple will probably do a hatchet job on future phones like the guy in the article did to his iPhone 5, so it may not be worth it...

Very illogical thinking. If that kind of reasoning is making you second guess yourself, it is definitely time to step back and reacess your purchase mentality. The linked article is the least of your buying concerns.

b13o0r12e3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
London, United Kingdom
You were considering the iPhone X, until you saw the link, and instantly said to yourself, Apple will probably do a hatchet job on future phones like the guy in the article did to his iPhone 5, so it may not be worth it...

Very illogical thinking. If that kind of reasoning is making you second guess yourself, it is definitely time to step back and reacess your purchase mentality. The linked article is the least of your buying concerns.

Based on logic, when the Retina MacBook Pro first came out, it was only in 15", there were more than enough people who wished the Retina Display was available for the 13". Very soon, that came out. Same for the 27" and 21" iMac. And I wouldn't say that Apple did a 'hatchet job' on either.

Now, maybe the iPhone is different in that people can buy one every year (unlike the Mac). But because of the hype surrounding the X, you forget about all the other iPhones in the line up, whether they be old or new, small or large, and I get the feeling that it's part of Apple's strategy. It just takes an article to realise that Apple may already be doing what that guy did (and smartly keeping their mouth shut), and that that product is probably round the not-too-distant corner.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Highly doubt there's gonna be an X mini. Tbh I see Apple having two Bezel-less phones next year. A 5.8in option (that feels like the 4.7 current iPhone) and a 6.3in model (that feels like the current Plus) The current trend is big screen phones, with shrinking bezels with higher resolution displays. The days of the super small high end phone are basically dead

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So I'm tempted to burn that hole and stump up for the X, until I saw this monstrosity...

https://www.slashgear.com/this-diy-iphone-x-mini-is-bonkers-13499677/

iphone5xproto.jpg

Sure, it ain't aesthetically pleasing.

But think about it, the Retina MacBook got passed from the 15" to 13", as well as the iMac 5K to 4K. I'm amazed this hasn't been brought up in all the hoopla, but who's not to say that the iPhone X will have a iPhone 6 screen the physical size of an iPhone 5?

I've brought up this possibility several times over the years, and have even posted some rough mockups. I couldn't find my iPhone 5 one, but here is one I made over two years ago that basically shows how Apple could make a 4.7" iPhone fit the height of the iPhone 5, so it's quite possible you could make it narrower and taller to round out the corner areas with no home button with the notch at the top. However, the earliest we'll see this is a year from now and it's more likely 2-3 years away so as to not steal glory from the iPhone X. This device would also likely be cheaper, and I could see them possibly keeping a cheaper display in it at 2X retina. Not sure if LCD can hug the corners, though, but if they can figure it out it will probably have a cheaper display like the iPhone SE. And like the SE, it will probably be missing other features too.
iPhone-sizes-new.jpg

Reactions: b13o0r12e3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.