Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iExplorer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
I use Google Drive to store a lot of files, so I have a Sync folder for the same and every time I drop a file into it, it automatically syncs provided the app is open. But, I have disabled "Start Drive at login"(to speed up my startup time). So now, everytime I drop a file or update a file in the Drive folder, I have to remember to open the Drive app so that it syncs. To solve the problem I thought of automating this process-Everytime any file is dropped into the Drive folder, I want the Drive app to be opened automatically if it's not already open. I have no clue how to proceed with this in Automator. Any help?
I've realized that Automator requires me to open the Automator Application myself every time I want to execute the above-so, that's a problem.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Put it back in your login items so it starts at startup - how often do you startup anyway, I let mine sleep and only restart for updates or a very rare problem...much easier

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You have to create a folder action with Automator. When you create one, you can specify the Drive folder in the top-right part of the window. Then you just drag an action called "Launch application" from the left side into the main area on the right (you can use the search box). You specify the application and then save it. This should assign the folder action to the folder you specified and the application opens whenever something is added to the folder. You can use the Folder Actions Setup application to see which folder actions are active (you can just type the name into Spotlight).

By default, these folder-action scripts are saved in
Code:
Macintosh HD/Users/[Username]/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.