Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnymorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
North East, UK
I've just picked up a Mac Mini on the used market, it suits my needs perfectly, however I'm currently restricted to 1080 using HDMI - HDMI as the DisplayPort on my monitor is occupied by another computer. Technically, the HDMI was occupied too but only by an older machine that I don't use very often, so they can sit and stew for now.

I'd like to get the best out of the Mac Mini so thought a Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to HDMI would do the trick, but when I look to buy a cable it seems like an absolute minefield. A 4k 60Hz cable would seem like the one to go for, but is it? I see on some listings that there are different types of DisplayPort (single mode / dual mode - never heard of it) and so this casts even more doubt and confusion on the matter. I've been using this resolution for many years, with Macs and other computers older than this Mini, so I know it should be relatively easy to do.

Can anyone confirm a currently available cable that will give me rock solid reliable 2560x1440 output from my Late 2012 i7 Mac Mini's Thunderbolt port to HDMI please? Preferably one from a reputable manufacturer, or a particular cable that someone has had personal experience with so they know it works with my hardware. Thank you very much!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
See:

I have a 2012 Mini, served me well for years, it's now over "on the back table".

I reall that the 2012 had an absolute limitation of 1920x1080 when using the HDMI port. (but my memories could be failing me!)

However, I believe you CAN connect to a 1440p display by using a displayport (Mac end) to displayport (display).

BE AWARE that the "thunderbolt" port on the back of the Mini -IS- the "displayport" as well. Same port, same form factor, but multiple functions.

If your display has either a [standard size] displayport or a "Minidisplayport", get the appropriate cable.

I've never tried such a connection, so I don't have any experience with any particular cable to recommend. Best to go to a site like amazon, find 2, 3 or 4 "candidates", and then read all the user reviews to see if users were satisfied or had problems...

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
As @Fishrrman states above, you need to use DP connection to the mini.
Can you connect the other computer to the HDMI on the monitor?

Alternatively you could get a KVM switch, but this may cost a bit.

As for the cable (is the mini/monitor full size DP), just a standard 4k DP cable.
Last one I got from Amazon was £7.99.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I reall that the 2012 had an absolute limitation of 1920x1080 when using the HDMI port. (but my memories could be failing me!)

FWIW, it will go up to 1920 x 1200, which I used for a number of years with my old 23" Cinema Display HD and the HDMI to DVI adapter that originally shipped with the 2012 Mini. :)

Reactions: MarkC426

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
FWIW, it will go up to 1920 x 1200, which I used for a number of years with my old 23" Cinema Display HD and the HDMI to DVI adapter that originally shipped with the 2012 Mini. :)

I had a 2012 mini with a mini display port to adaptor that ran a 3k monitor so it will work. the intel chip finally went and got no graphics after 7 years of use. But that was a fantastic little computer.

jonnymorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
North East, UK
Thank you for your replies, some interesting suggestions, however I think some have misunderstood my question a little. I know I can get 2560 x 1440 out of the Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt port, the question is more can I do it to an HDMI input on my monitor and which cable is going to work to achieve this (if it's possible). My monitor has a native resolution of 2560 x 1440, not 2560 x 1600, so that is a fixed quantity and 1600 is out.

So far my best bet seems to be trawling through reviews, which is something I've been doing already anyway but as usual there are mixed results. Perhaps I need to ask a specific question to a cable vendor or two.. If I could find out what this 'single / dual mode' thing is too, that could also help eliminate potentially wrong cables - I don't suppose Apple are likely to provide any information on that topic though. I just felt sure someone would have done this already, Mini DP to HDMI.

My other computer is currently using it's HDMI port for output to a TV as a second screen (handy for playing games from The Comfy Chair!) so I can't really switch that from the main DisplayPort on the monitor, the only other monitor input is a DVI and I'm pretty sure that won't do 2560 x 1440.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
the only other monitor input is a DVI and I'm pretty sure that won't do 2560 x 1440.
Dual Link DVI does.
You could use the last option in thunderbolt list if your display is dual link dvi.

Mac mini.png

Last edited:

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Thank you for your replies, some interesting suggestions, however I think some have misunderstood my question a little. I know I can get 2560 x 1440 out of the Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt port, the question is more can I do it to an HDMI input on my monitor and which cable is going to work to achieve this (if it's possible). My monitor has a native resolution of 2560 x 1440, not 2560 x 1600, so that is a fixed quantity and 1600 is out.

So far my best bet seems to be trawling through reviews, which is something I've been doing already anyway but as usual there are mixed results. Perhaps I need to ask a specific question to a cable vendor or two.. If I could find out what this 'single / dual mode' thing is too, that could also help eliminate potentially wrong cables - I don't suppose Apple are likely to provide any information on that topic though. I just felt sure someone would have done this already, Mini DP to HDMI.

My other computer is currently using it's HDMI port for output to a TV as a second screen (handy for playing games from The Comfy Chair!) so I can't really switch that from the main DisplayPort on the monitor, the only other monitor input is a DVI and I'm pretty sure that won't do 2560 x 1440.
If you are using Amazon to look at cables and adaptors them you know about their return policies. Do the math for reviews, a few one star ratings (2-4 %) of +500 reviews = 10-20 reviews and all of them may not be for the item that you are looking at but from the same vendor. Just keep the packaging in good condition for your returns and do them in a few days.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
What’s the make and model number of your monitor? Might help us confirm the spec level of its DVI port

Reactions: MarkC426

jonnymorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
North East, UK
What’s the make and model number of your monitor? Might help us confirm the spec level of its DVI port

My monitor is a BenQ GW2765HE. MacOS reports it as this model but 30.5 inch for some odd reason, maybe it's confused and expecting an Apple display. Is there a way to tell it more info, maybe get an up to date monitor profile or something?

According to these specs it has DVI-D Dual Link, so we may be in luck!

Apple Thunderbolt to dual link is pricey but does the job, however they need external usb for additional power, given that you picked up the mini cheap I’d question if that’s wise as there are plenty of 1440p monitors for reasonable prices now.

I'm not sure what you mean here about the USB power - there are plenty of spare USB ports on the back of the Mini, and I have powered USB hubs nearby, why would I be thinking about buying a new monitor? I don't have room for another, and better to make more use of the one I have anyway.

It sounds like my next port of call is look up a Dual Link DVI cable.

Update: I found this official adaptor from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204149

That looks like it might not come cheap, but would a 3rd party powered mini display port to dvi dual link cable work just as well, or is this one of those things that Apple kept to itself?

Update 2: Wow, didn't think these adaptors would be so pricey, especially now they are essentially obsolete tech - cheapest (used!) was about £40. Could probably buy a decent Display Port switcher for half that, then just have a straight forward Mini Display Port to Display Port cable from the Mini to the Display Port switcher. Options...

Last edited:

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote: "would a 3rd party powered mini display port to dvi dual link cable work just as well".

Probably not.
Back in the the era of your mini there were lots of people trying to connect old Dual-Link DVI Apple displays to their TB1/2 Macs, and very few of the 3rd party convertors worked. Lots were tested and lots failed.
Your BenQ monitor may not be as fussy as an Apple Display (but your Mac probably is...)
If the cable/adapter isn't Dual link then the best resolution the monitor would show is 1080.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm going to -guess- that the "Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" is the one that you need. Might as well spend the money if you want to use the display.

Along with a proper DVI cable between adapter and display.
Again, I will -guess- that there are several types of DVI-DVI cables available.
Perhaps others will jump in with the correct cable to look for.
(if you already have a DVI-DVI cable, just try that first)

jonnymorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
North East, UK
Thank you for the further responses. I'm currently investigating the mini Display Port to HDMI and also Display Port switcher options, the Dual Link DVI adaptor seems like silly money for what it is, and it looks like I would need a less common DVI cable (most have the four pins as shown in the left hand diagrams previously posted to this thread, but the Apple adaptor looks like it doesn't have holes for these) and I'm not sure I have one of those type, adding more cost to the project.

Last edited:

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Thank you for the further responses. I'm currently investigating the mini Display Port to HDMI and also Display Port switcher options, the Dual Link DVI adaptor seems like silly money for what it is, and it looks like I would need a less common DVI cable (most have the four pins as shown in the left hand diagrams previously posted to this thread, but the Apple adaptor looks like it doesn't have holes for these) and I'm not sure I have one of those type, adding more cost to the project.
Dual link DVI is what was used before later versions of HDMI and then DisplayPort came along to carry the high density signals needed for 1440p displays.

You’re right in that it’s a pricey way of connecting monitors but older models without DisplayPort or higher spec HDMI ports are a bit stumped for Mac connectivity.

It’s also a decision by monitor manufacturers who moved on quickly from dual link DVI to DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 for high dpi displays leaving older macs behind.

For what it’s worth I still have my thunderbolt to dual link dvi cable, the monitor it used to be connected to is on other duty now and while the 2012 Mini I used to connect it to is mostly headless these days it was good while it lasted.

My reasoning behind suggesting a new monitor is borne from the fact that a 27” 1440p monitor with modern ports is getting cheaper all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.