Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hello all,

I'd like to grab a mtart plug or two to use in the net couple months. I'd love to connect one to where our Christmas Tree will be because getting it plugged and unplugged is always such a pain. I could see some other uses in my home, but I'd like to start here. We've got lots of Apple stuff... Apple TVs, HomePods (minis and the first version of the big one), iPhones, iPads, etc... Ideally I'd just like to be able to be sitting on the couch and turn on/off the Christmas lights. Whether that is through an app, or Siri, or the Home app, I have no idea what is possible.

Can someone advise what I'd need to do this? I'm sure it is very simple and I am being very very dense. Thanks!

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
You already have minis so you’re all set for this smart plug. I recommend it because it will not be on your wifi network. I’m using it with my Christmas tree.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Belkin makes its WEMO smart switches, which are available at Best Buy and Home Depot. Easy setup, requires you to download the app and follow the instructions.

There are many other brands that also work with Apple, and HomeKit.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Just make sure whatever you buy supports Apple Homekit and you should be fine. Lots of choices on Amazon.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Just a note, Apple HomeKit is an app that will allow you to control any HomeKit compatible device through it. Think of it as a universal remote control for you smart devices. You do not need to buy a HomeKit compatible device for what you are trying to do, but if it is not HomeKit compatible you will need to download the app for the smart device. You can read more about HomeKit here.

On your specific request, I mentioned the Wemo devices, but failed to mention the Wiz devices. Phillips Hue has several lights that let you change colors, and set automations for on/off and what color scheme. Very easy to use.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Just a note, Apple HomeKit is an app that will allow you to control any HomeKit compatible device through it. Think of it as a universal remote control for you smart devices. You do not need to buy a HomeKit compatible device for what you are trying to do, but if it is not HomeKit compatible you will need to download the app for the smart device. You can read more about HomeKit here.

On your specific request, I mentioned the Wemo devices, but failed to mention the Wiz devices. Phillips Hue has several lights that let you change colors, and set automations for on/off and what color scheme. Very easy to use.
Since they are already in the Apple ecosystem anything other that Homekit compatible products would be bad advice. You shouldnt need a separate app to turn on and off a light/lamp, nor rely on a manufacturer's cloud service.

Homekit works locally and without needing to install any other apps or agree to or worry about your personal data sold/shared/used due to a third party privacy policy. Only buy Homekit.

Reactions: Slix

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
Hello all,

I'd like to grab a mtart plug or two to use in the net couple months. I'd love to connect one to where our Christmas Tree will be because getting it plugged and unplugged is always such a pain. I could see some other uses in my home, but I'd like to start here. We've got lots of Apple stuff... Apple TVs, HomePods (minis and the first version of the big one), iPhones, iPads, etc... Ideally I'd just like to be able to be sitting on the couch and turn on/off the Christmas lights. Whether that is through an app, or Siri, or the Home app, I have no idea what is possible.

Can someone advise what I'd need to do this? I'm sure it is very simple and I am being very very dense. Thanks!
I highly recommend EVE smart power strip, its 3 controllable power outlets on a single bar. I use mine to control my click and grow 9 lights. 100% integrates into homekit so you can use automations or even siri to control them, it also has buttons on the device to control each outlet, something most do not have.

automations are simple, I have a few but the one I think you would like is "Turn on at sunset" and "Turn off at sunrise" for your xmas lights. Its extremely easy to make the automation and manage them later. Ive linked you the guide.

I hope you enjoy your journey into the smart home world :D

Last edited:

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I've been using the VOCOlinc line of smart plugs (from Amazon) for years... I probably have 20 of them for various lamps, Christmas lights, etc. HomeKit compatible, and rock solid.

B091KS37F4
Agreed - I moved to VOCOlinc smart plugs after iHome stopped producing their plugs and I have had the same experience. Very dependable.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Agreed - I moved to VOCOlinc smart plugs after iHome stopped producing their plugs and I have had the same experience. Very dependable.
Awesome! Just picked up one of these! Looks like a nice simple solution for what I'd need! Thanks so much!

Reactions: dotme

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
The Vocolink plug works great! Impossibly easy to set up and it works flawlessly. We've just been waking around the house telling different devices to turn on/off the Christmas tree. Thanks for the affordable recommendation!

• Love
Reactions: dotme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.